If you were starting from scratch what would be your first 3 pieces of gear

Neil Young signature edition ? :wink:

1 Like

MPC3K
any Black Corp poly

Well, iā€™m thinking about bringing Joe Rogan with me to talk about chimps between music sessions, so ā€¦no, iā€™m afraid.

2 Likes

-A desktop computer

• yahama HS 7
  • An audio interface

Not very originalā€¦

Then I would buy a keylab and a digitakt

Octatrack, TR-8s, Pro3

I had the same question on my mind.
For sure a Roland like mc 101 , hydrasynth desktop and a tb3

1 Like

Octatrack.
SH101.
TR8-S.

5 Likes

If youā€™re really just starting from scratch, and unsure about the direction youā€™re going to head in, I would say:

Digitakt
Digitone
Mixer

That should cover a lot of bases / genres, get you started and find out about your preferences.

Learn basics about sampling and sequencing, have many options, a great sound, not too much cabling etc.

1 Like

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong (I own neither Digitakt nor Digitone), but couldnā€™t you connect the audio out from one of them into a audio in of the other, and sum the signal that way? That way, you donā€™t need a mixer, and can spend one of your slots for something more fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty hard to fault this as a setup.

1 Like

Impulse Command, ContinuuMini, and MPC One.

1 Like

I had many years away from hardware for various reasons, mostly moving around a lot and not having space. I just got a Syntakt, so maybe that would be a good start for you. Itā€™s a fun machine. Up next for me is a digitakt (already getting GAS)then if I had to choose a 3rd machine Iā€™d say some form of poly synth.

If limited money then

iPad
Headphones
Apps

If have some more money

Digitakt
Typhon
Zoia

2 Likes

Of course, you could.
I would still opt for a mixer.

1 Like

No budget constraints?

TR8S for Drums
OT for samples and sequncing
Virus Ti for all synth duties

1 Like

Acoustic guitar
Strat
Blues Jnr

1 Like

Macbook
Push 2
Audio Interface

Analog Four, Syntakt, Digitakt

1 Like

Interesting thread. Thatā€™s pretty much what Iā€™m trying to do.

The Digitakt is pretty good at this with its flexible internal mixer. Right now, Iā€™m using it with a Nord Drum which can be split in two sections: beats and bass on input R (w. very little delay/reverb); melodic percussions on input L (w. high level of delay/reverb).

But another interesting setup might be :
1 - Digitakt
2 - 1010 Lemondrop synth
3 - Portable recorder (for sound hunting and feeding both devices above).

1 Like

an MDUW+, an MDUW+ & an MDUW+

(wrote this as a joke but then contemplated the possibilities (i think the CTR ALL could relay to all the machinesā€¦!?) and this could be a devastating setup)

3 Likes