MakeNoise

• 0Coast
  • 0Ctrl
  • Strega

Erica

• Perkons
  • Syntrx Mk2 (or a Mk1 if available)
  • DB-01 or LXR-02

Each set should work well together. Of the above synths, the only ones I have now are the TR-8s and the Mk1 Syntrx. The Roland group is interesting because it represents Rolandā€™s sample-heavy design philosophy. The Moog and MakeNoise sets are pure synthesis with no memory beyond the patch cables and the knobsā€™ current settings. The Erica set probably most closely approximates my collection of Elektron and other digital or digitally-assisted devices.

Elektron

• Octatrack Mk2
  • Machinedrum Mk2+
  • Monomachine Mk2+

I already have those three Elektrons and could probably make a lot of progress with them if I locked everything else away.

1 Like

Prophet 10
Field recorder
Bitwig

4 Likes

Octatrack
Two other things

2 Likes

PPL the whole point of this is to pick just three things. Thatā€™s the brain exercise! Come on now = )

2 Likes

MC 707
Perfourmer Mk2
Analog Rytm.

1 Like

My core set up right now is:

1. Digitakt
  2. Digitone
  3. Zoom Sampletrak

As much as I love what my other stuff can bring to the table, this right here is more than enough.

5 Likes

I wanna change mine to Dominion I, MPC One, and ContinuuMini.

Maybe I should sell a few things and just buy a Dominion. No idea why I never looked at that a few years ago.

Roland TR-8S
Dreadbox Typhon
Korg Minilogue XD

ā€¦but thatā€™s just me.

2 Likes

Canā€™t do what I do with only 3 pieces of gear

1 Like
  • M8
  • Tula mic or similar to capture vocals and real world sounds
  • Depends on preferences: Deluge for a different kind of interactive sequencing and songwriting; launchpad pro mk3 for button mashing keyboard playing in scales mode; probably actually an mc101 as that hits both requirements (scale mode is great), huge sound palette, enough knobs for interactivity, and portable.

In fact now I want to experiment with only having these things (donā€™t have a tula, just the only way I can think of getting mic+preamp+recorder in one unit starting from zero).

But I tend to use one thing at a time anyway.

Probably if you starting you wonā€™t have much idea, so whatever you buy, you may end up selling soon anyway and buy something else, so wonā€™t bother much.

I would setup a budget of about 500ā‚¬ and probably get a drum machine, a mono synth, and a sampler, and take it from there :wink:

(Always second hand)

• a maxed out mac
  • an ARmk2
  • a prophet 6 or moog matriarch

I feel like this would really give me everything one could ever need:

AR as my audio interface/ sequencer/ sampler/ monosynth and for analog distortion/filter/comp.

The synth as both a midi keyboard for the AR and logic, and a sound source for raw analog sounds.

A mac running logic pro (with overbridge)for recording, infinite vstiā€™s and fx, and stereo sampling.

Now I feel tempted to actually sell all my gear and get this very setup from now on haha.

5 Likes

I would like to try what I could come up with just a 808, 101, 303 :slightly_smiling_face: will never happen with the originals unfortunately

2 Likes

I feel my modular doesnā€™t really count as ā€œoneā€ thing. So leaving that out of the equation,

1. Syntakt
  2. Octatrack Mk2
  3. Oto Bim (donā€™t have a need for it at the moment, but Iā€™d love to try one)

Or

1. Rytm Mk2
  2. OT Mk2
  3. Synth to run into OT (something Iā€™ve not yet tried, something like Take5 or Pro2)
2 Likes

Sampler/sequencer/groovebox (MPC Live 2 gets my vote)

A half decent mono or poly.

Job done.

Currently working on a track thatā€™s just Pro 3 and T5. Iā€™m finding I can cover loads of bases with just those two.

3 Likes

Not to sidetrack, but, can I ask which you prefer?:wink: If you could only pick one of the two for this list?

1 Like

Hmm, tricky oneā€¦ I love the T5 for its core sound and the 5 voices (I generally use chords in my stuff) but the sound and power of the Pro 3 with its feature-rich sequencer has been a revelation. Iā€™ve only scratched the surface with it so far. So guess Iā€™m firmly on the fence!

If I had to pick one I guess the P3 edges it just about. I usually use a mono for drum and perc sounds and the P3 is more flexible from that of view. That said Iā€™ve used the T5 for a lot of stuff Iā€™d normally just use a mono for. The Unison mode is great for fat mono sounds

2 Likes

I got one of those jazz master acoustasonic guitars, then plug that in DN then into SY.

2 Likes