Immediate gear selling regret

MPC1000 w/jjos
I’ve had it since day 1, but felt like I needed to change up my workflow and sold it to keep myself from going back to it.
I’ve burned through pretty much every sequencer imaginable (including a cirklon), and nothing is filling the void.

Guess I’m off to overpay for an old MPC and start rebuilding it.

2 Likes

No regrets, only curiosity and evolution.

1 Like

You know…looking back…

• Wogglebug
  • Benjolin

Sad to let em go, but I didn’t know how to use em. Now I do, but I don’t have em anymore :frowning:

This!

Past “buy-n-sell” cycles have basically lead me to realise I’m much happier ITB and that I still miss my OT a little bit.

Currently “curious” about portable stand-alone groove boxes though I expect lesions learned will still ring true.

1 Like

Sometimes I have little twinges of a ghost of a regret for selling an MPC Live. Great piece of hardware/software.

But I remind myself that I had very good reasons that are as valid today as when I sold it. Not the least of which, my love affair with my Elektrons and how they mate with my live musical goals, spark my creative juices and keep me focused. I’m pretty certain that if I picked up a Live again, it would just start gathering dust again, like when I first got into Elektrons.

1 Like

not necessarily a regret but in the summer of 2018 had to sell my whole modular system and sampler and intellijel case (black 104 2 row ) in 2018 to fund my new place to live

(landlord did some shady stuff and I was forced out of the place by sheriffs. he’s also semi famous actor who’s name or info won’t be put out there but either way, F*** him )

so I was basically living out of my car and selling the modules and gear one by one on the FB modular sales pages. my morning rituals for about two months were id wake up in a random lot I parked in, check the fb groups and my emails to see if I got any offers and sure enough, everyday one or two modules went out then eventually the case then the sampler went.

I don’t regret it cause I had no choice but to sell it all but DAMN do I wish I had more time to explore the modular world and keep the samples from it

9 Likes

I think I recently posted immediately regretting selling the OTO Biscuit but I would also add the MS-20 mini to my list. I wasn’t even all that clever at patching the modular parts but it is one of the few synths of I owned that I really felt had a unique sound that shone through in every patch.

I have the iPad app but I haven’t convinced myself it sounds the same haha.

1 Like

Wow, that really sucks about the gear. But I love the story behind it. It must’ve been a strange time but one that’s full of unique memories.

2 Likes

Minimum 2 tunes can come from that experience, could even be enough for an album. Maybe the reason I can’t write songs is because I don’t have enough shit in my life besides this damn covid19 crap …:
:crazy_face:

4 Likes

hell yeah, it was a wild time. definitely not the first time liveing out of the car I had to do that when I was 21. thats a whole other wild story though hahaha.
and
YES a bunch of music came out from that time. a bunch with my actual bands and a bunch with my own solo stuff. in the car I was working with apps and the sampler before I sold it and would record to audacity to get everything down.
I want to at some point put it all out but haven’t taken the time to find a project/producer name and album art track titles etc. maybe soon though :thinking: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I miss my Oto Biscuit… :sad:

Is Meris Ottobit Jr a worthy substitute?

No instant regret for me but I do miss my Mutable Instruments Rings and my Pressure Plates. pressure plates still wouldn’t fit in my rack, but I no longer have something I can just press and get triggers in my rack, though that is pretty easy to solve.

Gear regret of a different sort. I had a Gibson cherry sunburst bass…but it was the 80’s. And I wanted something cool. I didn’t know how cool a bass I had. I proceeded to strip it, and paint it white with zebra stripes.

What a fucking tool :frowning:

6 Likes

Sold my Meet Maude on Reverb last week. Didn’t really regret it at all as had sat on the shelf for 18 months or so after the initial excitement of having it died down and another delay pedal caught my ear/eye. And the general seasick washy thing bored me a bit.

Got it returned today for a refund because it apparently didn’t work. Hooked it up to check it out and there’s nothing wrong with it (thankfully). But it sounds soooo sweet. Think I’ll keep it a while now. So sort of like anti-regret. A pedal I’m in retrospect glad I failed to sell.

3 Likes

Did reverb make you pay the shipping cost back to you, even though the buyer clearly had buyers remorse, and was lying just to to return it?

1 Like

Sold my KRK RP8 today - no regret, but now i have to get better ones, and solve that placement issue.

Machinedrum UW MKII
I had since it was released and had to sell it in 2010 sadly. I’d love for Elektron to make an updated version, although my Nord Drum 2 + Digitakt make for a wicked combo

2 Likes

To be fair, the time knob seemed to have pushed down the spindle and the “nose” was dragging on the case slightly when it came back and that was what he was most concerned about - it’s possible I over packed it with bubble wrap and pushed it down when I boxed it up to send it. But it was easy to sort by loosening the grub screw and lifting it back into place. The return post was picked up by the buyer and he was happy enough sending it back and I’m not upset to have it back for a while either. I’m down the cost of posting it to him and he’s down the cost of sending it back to me. So not the end of the world for either of us.

Monomachine - big regret
SH-101 - have a 202 now which I love, but still miss it for some reason
Alpha Juno 2 - bought a Juno 1 very soon after

2 Likes

My Digitone got swept up in a gear rotation and I miss it every day. Maybe I’ll get it again, maybe Elektron will one-up it. Or maybe I’ll just get a DN keys and look at it as a trade up. Still, I miss it :disappointed:

6 Likes