Immediate gear selling regret

Didn’t sell it but I let a friend borrow my Digitone a few days ago, in exchange for a small modular skiff of his, and I’m missing it so hard. It’s going to be a long 10 or so days before we meet up again.

I figured, I have plenty of synths to keep me busy, especially while enjoying my new 0-coast/0-ctrl combo, but no, I’ve come to realize Digitone is actually my favorite synth and is the perfect tool, along with Digitakt, for starting tracks without a daw.

So I think I learned something… If you’re thinking of getting rid of gear, try letting a friend borrow it for a while, if possible. I sometimes put my gear on a shelf for weeks, but things feel a lot different when they’re no longer in reach.

Update: he bought a Model:Cycles today and we’re swapping back this weekend :smiley:

9 Likes

Emulator II… and I had two of them… they were so cheap end of the 90s… needed the money at some point.

2 Likes

I sold my eVolver. That was a big regret. I got another one a couple years later that was a friend’s who had passed away. Not that I’d ever part with it again but now I feel like I can’t, so that’s good.

It’s been 5 years since I sold my Nord lead 4r and I’m still upset about it.

2 Likes

Regretted selling my Nord Lead 4 KB and Nord Lead 4 R purchased Christmas 2014NORDS

Only ever other regret was selling my Novation Nova II XL

3 Likes

I sold a Korg Electribe EMX-1 because I didn’t like the sound. But I miss the hell out of it because it was fun and inspiring to use. It had a great layout and an immediacy to everything that made it more fun to jam with than the Elektron boxes. I love the Elektrons but the digitakt, for instance, is a little fussy to find, load and manage sounds. The electribe had none of the depth of the Elektron but I could bust out ideas instantly. Would be nice to have when I am feeling lazy and just want to play around. Plus, it was beautiful…

c84bfeb322b0467898a9a0c43416f9e2

7 Likes

People are trying to sell these for silly money now on eBay etc I never owned one but they do look and sound good.

1 Like

@rob_lee oh god lol!

Think I just Impulse Barfed

2 Likes

So many things went for low prices in the 90s. I had a Linn 9000 back in 1999. Sold it for $400. It was big old beast, but I never really gave it a chance. I realized later I had something special that took time to fully learn.

Isn’t there an app?

1 Like

Korg’s stuff tend to have such a great “industrial” look to them.

Just sold my Moog Grandmother a few weeks ago, I already miss her.

that feeling of the buttons, the animations and the scroll wheel…but yes the App is a great replica for those flashback moments :cowboy_hat_face:

somehow the Tenori on had this immediate ambient nature to fell asleep right after you grasp your sequence

1 Like

Model:Samples and I plan on buying it again soon.

3 Likes

Parted with my Analog Keys, Nord Lead 4 and Subsequent 37. All instant regrets. Hope to replace them all some day.

3 Likes

Crazy people are paying that kind of money for the Biscuit. The Softube OTO Biscuit sounds pretty good, and to my ear is real close. It’s also a lot easier to program.

Sold 2x Samson S-Patch Plus and then immediately realized exactly how useful they’d be for inserts and FX now that i have a console, ugh.

Miss my OTO BAM/BIM but at least i got enough $ for my Prophet 5rev4. I can always grab them again.

1 Like

Gah, my Biscuit is rare but i also wrestle with the intuitiveness of programming it and debate selling for that reason.

I hope OTO’s next product

1. Comes out soon but not TOO soon so i can pay
    off some stuff first :stuck_out_tongue:
  2. Is lower on the menu diving.
1 Like

Roland TR-808. Bought it for $100, sold it for $750 before moving to Alaska. Total regret, but I needed gas money and a ferry ticket.
Roland VK-09 organ. Bought it for $8, sold it for $125 before AK move. Also total regret.
Yamaha E1010 delay. Ugh, this one hurts.
Yamaha NS-10s. $3 yardsale score. Sold them for a reasonable price to my friend’s father because he wanted a set for his studio. Kinda don’t regret it, they are overrated for the price they command. But damn, they looked cool!
Casio DM-100. I had two of them. Can’t really remember where they flew off to.
Oberheim Matrix 6. I comfort myself with the thought that it was too tough to program.

Other audio gear…
JBL L150A. My friend I sold them to still has them, and he won’t sell them back. Sigh.
Kenwood KA-907 amplifier, along with my first set of NS-1000m speakers. Miss those, bought more Yamahas.

All of these above are heavier in my heart than losing my bitcoin wallet, which I am chosing not to think about again. :cry:

2 Likes

What does it mean when you have been on the fence about selling something for a whole year? Does it mean you want to keep it, or that you should have gotten rid of it long ago?

3 Likes