Immediate gear selling regret

I think it would have been a great setup for the past 20 years (of the gear that was available 20 years ago), and would have saved me a bunch of money if I had known that, but computers have come a long way in the past two decades, so that’s where I’m at now.

Buying that stuff in 2021 wouldn’t really make sense, for me at least. I’ve owned both the MPC1K and that Korg, not at the same time though. Definitely won’t be buying them back.

2 Likes

I would tell my 2001 self to buy DOD pedals, old tube and solid state amps and vintage analog gear from eBay.

3 Likes

Not immediate. But I am regretting selling my Model: Cycles.

1 Like

I would go back to the time I only had an MPC 2500, decks & records and headphones, and make myself make tracks with those. It was good enough for Portishead! Big respect to the people who are actually able to control the gear buying habit to a practical/respectable level - I have failed on this :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I was just going thru my gear last night, and I’ve now got stuff at home for more than 3k. I had no idea, I thought I was at around 1,5k - 2k. That’s a lot of money spent on a hobby.

2 Likes

A sufficiently nerdy mountain bike costs way more than that.

We overestimate the amount of money we spend on our knob twiddling…

Unless its modular…

5 Likes

Hah, for sure! Grown up hobbies can get expensive really fast. I’ve got at least another 3k spent on my bass gear, tho. So around 6k in total for all of my music gear. Yikes!

1 Like

I added up the value of all my gear for insurance and I was aghast!
But then, I know people who are happy to drop £2-3K on a road bike, or £7-8K on a jet-ski, or £20-25K on a car. I don’t have any other hobbies or expense outside family/bills/general living etc. apart from music, and I drive a beater so I sort of justify it to myself that way. Plus the fact I’ve built this up over almost 10 years now.

3 Likes

Yeah, same here. No other hobbies, I don’t even drink or do drugs anymore. It’s all family (dogs, summer cabin, car) and music. I mean you gotta spend that money somewhere, right? Just makes me wonder, will I turn into one of those middle aged dudes with mountains of gear who only fire them up like once a month, hah.

3 Likes

Already an issue for me sometimes! Even so, you gotta have one thing, even if it’s infrequent.

3 Likes

At 45, I try to get around that by not having mountains of gear to feel bad about not firing up. But the struggle is real. Lol.

I agree though that having the hobby is great, even if it means spending a bit too much on gear from time to time. I mentioned this in another thread, but music lessons have turned out to be a great music hobby at this stage of life and helps to curb the desire to buy more gear. Beat battles are good too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My next purchase is a guitar with this in mind, we’ll see if I learn it properly this time instead of just banging out death metal chords! Which is admittedly the main reason I’m buying it :skull: :metal:

3 Likes

I totally get that. I have a real soft spot for the MPC1K and 2500. Beautiful design, IMHO. I remember going to the music store and drooling over them. Lots of nostalgia.

1 Like

Absolutely my favourites of the designs. I guess I miss out on the older MPC crunch & grit but I’ve learned not to let myself get hung up on such details (or I’ll end up with another MPC I don’t have desk space for!)

3 Likes

I am regretting selling my Keystep (its already orderd again), MFB-522, Virus TI, Casio PT1, Moog Voyager … damn

I actually regret selling my MS2000 the most. I love how it sounds, dusty and kinda lofi but its extremely versatile and easy to sculpt sounds with with it knob per function UI. I would buy it again, but I kinda want more polyphony.

Online distance learning? Local or Zoom music tutor?

Haven’t sold anything i regret yet, though i wish i took the time to learn some of the gear. Sold an emu e6400 for cheap (bought for cheaper) and kinda wish i learned it. Same as the dsi evolver.

Hanging onto my mpc2000xl but the prices are going up and its tempting to replace it with other gear. I have a mpc one which i use now and love it. I know if i sold my 2000xl i would regret it badly.

In saying that a new desktop synth and/or polyend tracker would be nice if i sold my 2000xl. Hmmm…

1 Like

Local. I have done online lessons several times over the years and find in-person lessons to be so much better.

3 Likes

Nothing compares to this.

2 Likes