Immediate gear selling regret

One of the reasons I rarely sell gear these days is due to my regret of selling a near mint condition Yamaha RS-7000. I absolutely loved it, but was transitioning to an in-the-box workflow. The said product was still being manufactured at the time of the sale, and my thought was another new unit could be purchased later on if I missed it.

When I decided to purchase another RS-7000, they were discontinued and completely sold out at stores. I guess I could have purchased a used RS-7000, but I rarely will purchased a piece of used gear without seeing it in person.

When I initially transitioned to an in-the-box workflow, I never thought I would miss my hardware setup, and sold about 75% of the studio gear. Fast forward to the present, at least for electronic music (i.e., Detroit Techno), I am completely out-of-the-box, and wish I had all of my old gear back. A few other items I greatly regret selling are the Akai MPC2000XL, E-MU XL-7, Alesis Ion, Alesis HR-16B, and Yamaha AN1x.

3 Likes

I sold my Roland Jupiter 8 and my Jupiter 4. Those are my biggest gear selling regrets, especially the Jupiter 4. Hall & Oates bought my JP8. I always wonder what songs that ended up on.

11 Likes

Craziness!

I had for a time the touring MKS-80 previously owned by Mike Score of Flock of Seagulls, still had their patches in memory. Sold it for the lack of editor options available then (and couldn’t rationalize the cost of the Roland programmer at the time) but really should have held onto it.

2 Likes

It still blows my mind that Roland has failed to reissue the Jupiter 8. All of the old school Analog Synth builders have proven that there is a market for expensive analog flagship synths.

4 Likes

Selling regrets:

• Novation Nova XL (36 voice) KB
  • Yamaha CS6x Rack
  • Fully loaded AKAI MPC2000XL
  • Emu Orbit
  • Access Virus Indigo Redback
  • Yamaha AN200
  • Yamaha AN1x

Would like a couple of these back one day

1972 Telecaster Custom
OT mkI
1978 Greco Les Paul
DT
1988 Fender Precision

3 Likes

I regretted selling the MX-1, so bought another a few months later, remembered why I sold it in the first place, then I quickly sold that too.

Few regrets from selling gear.

Genuinely amazed that the OP claimed the MC-101 had build quality worth shouting about though. I owned one for a while and felt it was probably the worst built machine since some of the toy keyboards in the 80s

4 Likes

That a market exists is not the question, that enough can be sold to warrant Roland’s interest at their desired price/profit point is what is questionable.

1 Like

What made you sell it again?

1 Like

I wish i could say i owned an andromeda a6 to post gear selling regret about it, and they reissue it so i buy it at whatever price.
Then sell it eventually, and wonder why i didnt keep it.
So im preemptivly posting my gear selling regret.

4 Likes

I regret selling my Doepfer Dark Energy MkI. I thought I could recreate its sound in modular or other synthesizers and I was wrong. I noticed that Doepfer is now getting clones of the chips they used in the MKI so maybe they’ll start making it again.

1 Like

You can get them for cheap 2nd hand, just bought one for 250 euros last year. Mk 1’s that is.

My first MD UW and MM.

I had borrowed money off my dad to buy a car and needed to generate some funds to give him a lump sum. Boo!

Thankfully I bought them again (well the MD wasn’t UW) just before they were discontinued. Yay!

Sadly they’re stuck in the U.K. and I can’t get them cause I’m in Poland (still on the amber list). Boo!

Thankfully my friends are putting them to good use in their studio. Yay!

7 Likes

I sold an AN1x, it was my first synth and I was not able to understand it at the time. I was a total newbi, I bought instead a Nord Modular G1, I loved it and I learned synthesis with it. No regrets.

I sold the Sidstation, very unique synth! The monomachine emulation is a joke compared to the real beast :slight_smile: I was a little tired to always used the same sounds (the ones from the presets, because the programming was not fun and no software editor :frowning: )

I sold a Black Lotus white boarders, I regret, I should have wait more :joy:

Nowadays, I never sell anything. Even the euroracks modules I think I shouldn’t have bought, I always wait and succed to love them after taking time to understand their function.

3 Likes

I know that if I never sold anything i could find uses for them, but even with a home i don’t have space and unlimited funds and headspace. Perhaps if i could donate them all to a local gear-share collective if such a thing existed :wink:

Have you tried the AN1x in ‎Yamaha Synth Book - US on the App Store ?

At that time iPhone and apps didn’t exist

Yes space is becoming a problem also.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

When it came out certainly not! But the app is an opportunity to reconnect with the AN1x sound!

I will have to buy it again on this case ;), hmm no . My next target will be a FM synth

I wish there was one of those

I really want a Dreadbox NYX again but are they releasing a polyphonic version soon???

I regrets selling my DSI Tempest bc I let it go for $1k

1 Like