Immediate gear selling regret

I don’t think so, no. I made the mistake of selling my K5000W and eventually replaced it with the K5000s. It’s here to stay. Yeah, it’s a tedious beastie, but that’s precisely what I like about it: no shortcuts, no restrictions or limitations in the name of user-friendliness - just pure synthesis power. A great machine.

3 Likes

None of these are regrets, more of a ‘it would be cool if I still had these (and the space to keep them)’:

Mint Roland 301 space echo
Mint Juno 106 plus original case and stand
‘Well loved’ SH101
Ensoniq ESQM
Roland Jet Phaser (twice)
Ibanez Flying Pan
Ibanez AD202
Ibanez UE400
Lexicon MPX G2
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo
Silverface Fender Bassman head and matching 4x12 cab

2 Likes

Sold mine too. And a quadraverb. Maybe the MegaVerb can come close?

1 Like

Pro One is amazing. AS-1 come REALLY close, but doesn’t have that “alive” variability from note to note (old circuits?) and the attack isn’t quite as hard. But, presets, fx and no j-wire.
I also had the K5000S and got OK at programming it but found it hard to mix with other synths. Maybe needed more time with it.

Another synth that I just realized I regret letting go of was the Korg Lamda. It had only two good sounds in it, but they were gorgeous.

The Nord Mod was the only synth that I regret to have sold so i’ve bought a g2 and a g1 10 years later :slight_smile:

You can still find Nord G1 for a reasonable price, the G2 its another story , it became crazy expensive over time.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t have extra money for these things anymore. Last year was my gear acquisition year. I bought a Roland System-1m, a Space, Timeline and traded my DT for a MnM… Those pieces and an OT, and I feel like I can make any sound I need. I wish there was a synth library, where I could check out a NM G2 key for a month or two, but for now the MnM is my go to for the dirty digital. :grin:

4 Likes

I understand, myself im not going to get anything else (except Expressive E Osmose).
For dirty digital the Monomachine is enough IMO (i have the MN too).
Im keeping the G2 because i need a custom midi controller with custom sequencers for my project and havent found anything else that can replace it. Thinking about selling the Nord G1 though. Its an amazing synth but too much stuff and the Monomachine is king !

1 Like

Yeah, when the G2 came out my friend at the time bought one on his creditcard. Drool! At the time I sold my G1 and bought the G2 rack, but with no knobs and no key’s, it just felt like I was working on a computer too much. The G2 key though, jeez… super tactile as I remember, with the morph feature. You are a lucky human.
And yes, the MnM is king! Someday I would like to upgrade to the MK2 :upside_down_face:

1 Like

hahaha, classic.

6 Likes

Whew. That’s sorted. Here to stay this time.

6 Likes

no regrets ever. gear is ephemeral.

3 Likes

Reading this before I do some damage…

Just can’t be bothered switching on my gear for a few months now, been thinking to sell everything. Tabula rasa.

2 Likes

If you can get good prices and it’s easy enough to buy again then fuck it, just do it. Feels great to clear the slate.

1 Like

I regretted trading my Monologue the moment I handed it over at the post office, it was such a great synth to pair with a pocket operator and sit out on the porch with, terrible decision on my part!!! Luckily I got a good deal on another black one a few weeks ago! Back for good this time, one of the few pieces of gear I ever traded/sold.

2 Likes

happened only with bike gear.

1 Like

I regret selling my Avalon Bassline. I would love to get another, but that probably isn’t gonna happen.

2 Likes

Have my third one… I think its a special form of gas…

I sold my monomachine, and i dont regret. I had it second or sixth hand. It had wonky encoder and smelled like a damn heisltschick. I sold it with a win…

I regret selling my lxr. I loved it and i think it would be a great friend to my digitone, the third…

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted one of these. There’s one with the metal case and trigger IO on Reverb.

1 Like

At one point in my life i had this 21" ride cymbal made by a company called Grand Master.
Hand hammered stuff from Istanbul. It was absolutely perfect… big deep bell with a gorgeous dark wash and crisp, clear stick definition. To top it off it had beautiful etchings of flowers all around it.
I was switching up drumsets (also a poor choice. traded a 70’s Slingerland for some new Yamaha Beech custom thing) and needed a push of cash to finalize the transaction.
The guy at the shop pleaded with me to NOT sell that cymbal, but i was young, dumb, and impatient to get my new drums so i let that cymbal go.
Ive always regretted that decision. That cymbal was one of a kind and it was THE ONE.
I went back to the store to try and get it back to see that they were selling it for like $500
I was crushed, and vowed to get it back. I actually tracked it down through 2 separate buyers and then lost the trail. Some very lucky person has it now.
A few years later there was an earthquake in Istanbul and the factory was reduced to rubble and the company is no more. Lucky that i held on to my 13" Grand Master hi hats and my 24" Grand Master China…
I never sell cymbals now. Never.

6 Likes

No immediate regrets.
Sold my beaten up old premier drum kit when I was a lad. Should never have done that.
Sold a Fender Jag with a real tasty amp. Shouldnt have done that either.
Sold a Danelectro, with a proper spring reverb, tape delay and some other bits. Regret that.
Sold a really nice acoustic guitar- never found one as good as that since.
Sold all my skate collection to fund travelling. STUPID! I had lots of rare gear, and some very sexy exclusive stuff from when I was sponsored.

Sold a tasty modified MPD. That thing was totally sublime. Dammit.

I did regret selling the Gretch Kit I had. Until I was fortunate enough to get something better. I will never sell the kit I own now!

Stuff is just stuff. And it really isnt important. Because you can always get more stuff.

And yet, sometimes, certain stuff is like your own talisman, your totem, your spirit animal. Some stuff is special. It enhances your own juju in ways that other stuff just doesnt. That old Premier kit I had was shit, ugly, terrible condition. Most people laughed at it, it didnt even sound good. But when I played it, something just fell in to place and it worked, sounded great.

So when you find that personal relic, keep hold of it. Use it.

6 Likes