Immediate gear selling regret

Have been considering selling my (recently mostly unused) OP1 to help finance an Analog Rytm. But find it hard to let go. It’s odd. I also had an unreasonable attachment to my Organelle (those wooden keys…) but when I sold, it was done and gone. It’s been the same when I’ve had to sell much loved guitars. I’m sure it would be the same with the OP1. But something stops me…

1 Like

I’ve felt the same way with my OP-1. Currently on a last workflow trial with it now that I have an OT. Hoping that being able to quickly record and apply various effects to it will really help it really find a place. Worried about regretting selling it!

With anything else I’ve sold, I really haven’t looked back. I loved the Circuit Mono Station, but when an A4 replaced it, I never considered buying it again, regardless of how much I liked it.

I’ve also completely sold and replaced various guitar/bass setups over the years (pedals, amps, instruments), and really don’t miss anything. I will say, even if I get another strat or acoustic, I’ll never sell my current ones though.

1 Like

no immediate regrets cause I always replaced them with something I wanted more at that time.
I do want some things back after some time. There comes some nostalgia into play. E.g. 0 coast or Nord Rack 2…
I liked most stuff a lot, I just sacrificed them to try something different.

I have this to the OT and A4, my first elektrons. I don’t use them very often, and I have to say I didn’t finish much tracks I created on them. I was far more productive with Digitakt, OPz, MC101 or now with Maschine. But I never sold those two. A4 is even frustrating at times. But I somehow are attached to it…
OT is unbeatable for livesets, so I would always keep it for that single reason.

But I never really regretted selling something, probably would feel like a relief to let most things go

1 Like

I miss Plaits and Clouds at times…
And the Slim Phatty!

But not that much, I prefer what I have and should still sell stuff.

1 Like

Digitakt ! Instant regret ! I was in the momentum of selling other stuff so I kinda went with it but it was a bad decision :tired_face:

2 Likes

Yamaha Tenori-On, bought it like 10 years ago, sold it to fund the Korg ER-2 never ever seen another one popping up at any shop.

it was an inspiring piece :heart:

OTO Biscuit. Its a vibe. But if you want it and don’t have it, you ain’t getting it from something else : )

1 Like

I regret selling my MS20mini. It was my first “real” synth, and I was very poor and saved up for a long time to get it. I had been living in a van and making music with Walkmans, a Monotron Delay, Zoom H1 and a Monotribe. The MS20 was spiritual very linked to me getting on my feet, and having a power source and a place to store such a seemingly monolithic machine. I loved it and it meant so much to me. Alas, life happens and the house I was living in sold. I got rid of the MS20 because it felt too bulky, and I needed the cash to fix my van up again. I replaced it with a Microbrute, which I honestly just fucking hated and ended up having several issues, which included dead keys, and a non-functioning LFO.

This was some years ago, and my life is much more stable now, and I have a finer arsenal of noise makers then I could have even imagined. I still have not gotten another MS20, but I often think about it. If I ever came across a reasonably priced MS20m, I would snatch it in a heartbeat and never get rid of it

6 Likes

Rytm MKII :frowning:

1 Like

None really, all sold for a reason, except the Bass Station 2. I didn’t fully gel with it, workflow wise, so it’s weird to me that I miss it that much. Just had a special something. Probably the filter or it’s sound full stop. Plus the nice keys, mod wheel etc. all within a light, affordable and small-ish package. I might try it again when I have mastered synthesis a bit more to appreciate the knob-per-function makeup. When I had it that was all a bit overwhelming - A4’s subchaptered menus made more sense to me instead.

You sold the Nord rack?

Hahaha, yeah.

Sold arguably my two best bits of gear this month (DFAM and Digitakt).
No regrets at all, I’m pretty decisive, don’t really worry about my decisions and now I have an Octatrack, so…

Plus if I’m that bothered I can just save up and buy them again (which I probably will).

6 Likes

Sold a shit ton of stuff. No regrets.

ALMOST sold my Intellijel Shapeshifter. That would have been a huge mistake.

Ensonic Mirage
Boss SP 202

3 Likes

An older dude has a Mirage that he bought new here in my town, I really want to buy it!!! He has a grip of stuff that goes with it too…

At some point they had a second-hand price of $5K!! If he didn’t consider selling it then - your chances maybe slim…

How i miss the grind of the disk drive striving to load a patch…

1 Like

Whoa intense. He’s asking $600.

I recently sold my OT to pay for the bond on a new rental, coz my current place the owners are selling so I had to shift on. I’m not sure I regret it or not, the usual thing happens where I’m using the OT, and then I open Ableton at some point and find myself being able to achieve exactly what I’m doing on the OT in Live. Which kinda tells me I’m not using the OT to its full potential.
But the new pad has a great view, so I’m looking forward to setup up a new studio there. Whether or not the OT is part of that I’m not sure. I think I feel more pangs for the AR and A4 on a regular basis. The mkii’s are always calling lol. But so is modular. I think my plan is to just keep my wallet in my pocket for now and see if 2021 brings anything unique or essential to my current setup.

4 Likes

So many of the samples in my OT started out in Ableton. Coulda been rendering a nice dense reverb, or hosting a Kontakt multisample. Ableton is the seed germ starter on the warming mat, and OT is the garden outside, in full sun, with irrigation.

Sorry you had to sell yours, but you know well enough that it’ll probably make its way back to you at some point, and hopefully with the benefit of a new more inspiring place to reside in.

2 Likes