Intellijel Cascadia

dream machine. gonna have to start selling some things

it has midi in/out/thru and looks like a p extensive midi to cv section at the top left. most people can manage a midi sequencer, if not a daw with midi out

1 Like

5 Likes

There’s lfo’s with rate controls that could be used as a clock. :man_shrugging:

Synth nerds - ‘Everyone knows semi-modular synths are lame’

Intellijel - ‘Hold my patch cable’

Synth nerds - ‘oooh… Shiny!!’

3 Likes

Being so compact and feature-rich, I wonder about how playable it actually is? This is one of my main gripes with Euro, that it (often) feels like the instrument-design equivalent of tiny homes.

1 Like

I’ve been listing things in my head to sell to get a Syntrx II and then this popped up. It does look superb but I think the Syntrx makes more sense to me personally, both in design and general sound.

3 Likes

A fantastic looking design, in terms of visual look right up my street, no nonsense plain and clear layout.

9 Likes

Just curious to chat along. What do people here think will set apart this one, what makes it special?

To me also comparisons make sense with things like Syntrix, Arp2600, Easel. They all have pretty outspoken design choices that set them apart.

Will this not be a bit generic? Or are there things within the set of specs that stand out to you? Though, of course, if it’s just well designed / layed out, and the sound is great, that would be enough of a quality already perhaps.

you answered yourself :grinning:

7 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Correct me if I’m wrong but there isn’t many if any modern attempts to update the 2600 that I can think of. Bringing us both 2600 and Buchla concepts together is pretty exciting as well.

2 Likes

My needs for eurorack are fairly fullfilled atm, but this is, by far, one of the best “all in one” systems with really great ideas in combining West- and East Coast approaches.

When I was in media art school I wish we had such a system in our sound art class. We had a full several HP eurorack wall with a lot of Doepfer stuff to “keep it simple”, but it was waay to overwhelming to get any idea of what actually was going on…

So I don’t only see this as a good starting point for newcomers to eurorack with deep pockets, but actually really beneficial for sound art and music classes

3 Likes

And please indeed correct me:)

In what sense does this bring together 2600 and Buchla concepts, to you? Are we talking envelope followers, ring mod, and folding?

Oh yeah brings together in the modules concept to me. I love semi modular systems but don’t bother to much with actual modular so to me it’s quite exciting in the sense it places both of those in front of you.

I got a 2600m recently and it does make me think when using it, how nice some west coast melody lines would marry up with that. Or just cross modulating across both!

1 Like

It’s cool that there’s a range of choices and price points for devices that combine the ideas:

• 0-coast – $500
  • Taiga – $800
  • Cascadia – $2100
4 Likes

I dabbled my feet in Eurorack a while ago and fell on my nose pretty quickly. When I put some modules of the big name brands slowly into one rack I didn’t get a cohesive modular system but a mess without any direction.
In my opionion the Cascadia is wonderful as a starting point to actually create some music and have fast results, that still can explode into much deeper territories. I always wanted a monosynth than I can easily turn on, and make music with. But still to have the ability to patch much more complex stuff and add other components to.

6 Likes

I like it because it really feels like all you need is a sequencer (or keyboard). I’ve been pondering modular for awhile but it seems like more hassle than I want, and at the same time the Taiga feels like not quite “enough”. A big advantage over traditional eurorack is that this is normaled, of course, but it somehow manages to beat the Taiga at its own selling point of being all usable is separate modules. I think the Taiga oscillators and filter are reason enough to also consider one of those, but for a semi-modular nerve center, the Cascadia seems pretty damned cool to me, in ways the Syntrx doesn’t (that feels a lot more self contained - the Cascadia is a big chunk of modules you can co-opt with other stuff).

3 Likes

So I looked at the manual and also the config utility. Am I right that the MIDI to CV is only monophonic? Seems like you’d want paraphonic or duophonic given all the power of this thing (two or more VCOs, two filters, two VCAs).

1 Like

Such a cool instrument! If you have the funds for it, I’m sure this Intellijel will look and sound great next to it :grin:

It would work with an MPC or Force Midi to CV out?

1 Like