Intellijel Cascadia

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrG8f-9MYsK/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This is pretty tasty

4 Likes

love me a little BoC.

1 Like

Haha yeah I have to admit that was the first thing I did when I got an A4

1 Like

man, some of y’all ain’t never heard of the Cwejman S1 and it shows! :crazy_face:

Intellijel even use the same switches, color scheme and similar I/O patterns on the Cascadia… but regardless, this looks awesome and sounds great from what I’ve heard so far. hopefully they can keep it in production better than the S1 ever was. it’s already a better price than the S1 ever retailed for (nevermind secondhand prices…) and while it doesn’t have all the same options, it adds a lot of welcome utilities.

really awesome synth. I love semi-modulars and I’d love to check it out someday.

8 Likes

All the acid sounds in that video make me think even more of an MC202 on speed, Malekko styling.

3 Likes

S1 has a much cleaner layout. Wish it would be produced again soon.

3 Likes

As a huge fan of semi-modular synths, the Cascadia has surely caught my interest. This synth is awesome.

For those who missed it, Daniel van Tijn makes mention of this in the interesting Perfect Circuit interview / overview (https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/intellijel-cascadia-overview) (as already linked above by @HoldMyBeer).

There is also a small nod to the Arp 2600 with how we chose to label all the jack normals, which just makes it so easy to navigate. We also tried to incorporate some of the robust industrial design and clear layout of the Cwejman S1 mkii (even using the same high-quality sealed switches).

5 Likes

Intellijels switches are really nice - however their potentiometers are some of my least favourite in the eurorack world; inconsistent resistance and prone to becoming scratchy. They seem to be using different knobs and sliders for the cascadia so I wonder if they used different pots too…

1 Like

The filter has a Vermona quality to it… and that is :ok_hand:imo

2 Likes

hmmm that’s gotta be an anomoly though as it’s likely to be their multimode State Variable design - they also describe it as ‘liquid’ which tends to be of that ilk, like their uVCF (same as the Mutable filters). Vermona use moogy ladder filters. I’d be surprised if it had that aesthetic personally. I agree in that demo it does sound quite creamy though.

1 Like

How do people who know the 2600 feel about the sound of Cascadia vs 2600?

That is strange if that’s the case. I haven’t really listen that thoroughly to other demos. It was just something that stood out in this demo.

1 Like

Yea I definitely don’t disagree - I’d have thought the same just listening to that. I’ve heard some other demos where it sounds more like I’d expect so I wonder how they’re getting that out of it :thinking:

Over on MW Intellijel posted some more info on the VCO and VCF designs & chips inside Cascadia:

“- The production version of Cascadia has five SSI2130 VCO chips: two in the main VCOs and three for the triple LFO. VCAB/LPF uses an SSI2144, but the primary multimode VCF is made from discrete blocks and is a new design. It is more similar to Polaris or Atlantis but the circuit is different.

We consulted quite a bit with SSI during the design process since we were one of the first companies to start using these new chips afaik. Neil Johnson was very helpful (thanks Neil!).”

7 Likes

Hey thanks for the extra info that’s useful! So yea still very much at the liquid end of the scale but it’s clearly got a bit more juice to it than other State Variable alternatives - as a ladder filter fan I find that sound much more appealing :ok_hand:

1 Like

it does have the 2nd VCA/VCF that is using a moog style 4-pole ladder diode filter in a sort of a vactrol type implementation so possibly that could be shaping the end of the sound and giving a moogy vermonaish vibe too.

4 Likes

I ordered one. I’ve been in this stupid, time wasting, indecisive, modular worm hole. The idea of a fixed system is helping me crawl out of said hole. One small modular sequencing case and this might just be the ticket.

4 Likes

Compared to the 2600 (one of my forever-favorites), this appears much more flexible.
The LFO section looks amazing, as does the state variable filter.
Combined with the wavefolder, those should give you a much wider palette (no pun intended).

If I didn’t have the Implexus, this would probably be top of my list.

Edit: I know you can get different filter responses on the 2600, by smart use of the utilities (inverter/mixer section), and technically, there’s one more oscillator, which on the B version is full-featured. Still, I think this is more powerful for sound design…

3 Likes

Had one in my cart at detroit modular with a discount last night, decided to sleep on it…
Fate decided for me, it sold out :rofl: It’s for the best, I seriously don’t need it and I was already not sure where I would even put it so it could interface with the rest of my modular. Was basically just thinking about buying it because intellijel stuff tends to become unobtainium and I didn’t want to miss out… terrible reasoning

4 Likes