Interview with Chemical Brother Technician Matt Cox

Came across this while synth spotting. Thought some of you might find it interesting as Matt goes into all the technical sides of the Brother’s live performance and how it keeps in sync. A few years old, but watching some recent videos of their current setup, it hasn’t changed much. Also mention the MM and MD a few times.
https://www.soundonsound.com/people/matt-cox-midi-tech-chemical-brothers

15 Likes

This guy looks so fucking stressed it’s unbelievable.
“Whoever tuned this Jupiter 6 today is fired… MATT!”

5 Likes

I find it amazing that they (and Orbital) take such a large amount of old and environmentally sensitive gear on tour.

5 Likes

It’s all empty cases.

They’re doing everything with a cracked copy of Reason 4.

23 Likes

Haha. In all the studio pics ive seen they have a shit ton of gear but he is always in front of his NI Maschine

1 Like

Back in their 2012 tour, Orbital played their USA dates with (almost) entirely modern gear:

Chime @ KCRW (Santa Monica, CA):

Full set @ KEXP (Seattle, WA):

Equipment that I can identify:

• Macbook Pro (16"?)
  • At least 5 iPads
  • DSI Tempest
  • Roland TR-909
  • Moog Slim Phatty
  • Moog Voyager RME
  • two Novation Remote 25SL
  • Two big Eventide Stompboxes
  • Most importantly: Lighted safety glasses

Noted by other Elektronauts:

Everything packed into large Pelican cases.

5 Likes

I’m seeing orbital in a fortnight, I’ll let you know what they bring.

7 Likes

Be sure to tell them…

SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN

(Or Satin, they would probably appreciate some nice sheets)

8 Likes

I’ll do my best.

1 Like

Bangface?

I bet they just bring their phones and a pack of rizla.

1 Like

Yep.

That’ll get you pretty far on the Sunday to be fair.

2 Likes

it’s NATAS easy as you make it sound.

3 Likes
7 Likes

If they’re anything like Placebo they stick it on Reverb for mad profits when they’re done with it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I almost forgot that I went and saw the Chemical Brothers once at what in my memory felt like a rather small show and looking it up now I guess it sort of was. Can’t say it was all that memorable though but at the time I was more accustomed to seeing PVD and Sasha and Digweed every month.

1 Like

They’ve always had the best headlamp game. I use to imagine wearing one at an after hours gig, because they’d be so dark that the only light I’d sometimes have was the glow of the turntables. Never did though as I figured I’d look like some cunt pretending to be Orbital.

3 Likes

It’s worse, it’s two cracked copies of Fruity Loops version 13.

1 Like

I don’t follow the prices too closely, but that seems about £1000 markup on a randomer’s P5 Rev 3. Which I guess is still “mad prophet”

5 Likes

Especially if you keep buying and reselling them. It’s like printing money baby.

2 Likes

bit less risky when you have a bloke on standby to fix them for you.

(although whether Orbital are in the same stadium rock league as The Chems there… who knows. Which is weird to think about really. I mean, Orbital are kind of like all those footballers who retired just before the Premier League started and never got paid the same as the first generation of Premier League players. Maybe.*)

• insert applicable sports reference here international readers. :wink:
2 Likes