Interview with Chemical Brother Technician Matt Cox

You can pick one up for about 3k, so more than double the price :sweat_smile:

Some of their stuff is a bit less insane. I keep an eye on their store because it would be dope to own one of their synths… for reasons that can’t be quantified. I almost bought their Bass Rhodes but it got snapped up :pensive:

I really wanted to use that pun I’m glad someone got use out of it haha

2 Likes

Hopefully they won’t do that terrible spice girls mashup

The Rev 4s (the new ones) are about that much, or even less. The Rev 3s I’ve seen recently have all had … patina, and a price bump.

Why you’d want a Rev 3 now is beyond me.

1 Like

That would have been lush. Sorry you missed it.

1 Like

Ah yea you’re right I wasn’t paying attention with my Googling!

1 Like

They will definitely play it.

It will definitely go off when they do.

1 Like

It’s well worth the price, as long as you believe it’s worth it.

Sorry, couldn’t think of a better one.

1 Like

Worth it for Phil’s wig

1 Like

Now I’m actually sad I’m not going to Bangface this year.

There were rumours that the Chemical Brothers were going to play at The Piece Hall in my home town of Halifax.

Orbital were confirmed instead. You win some, you win some.

4 Likes

He popped on a big wig for the spice girls bit when I saw them earlier this month … dunno if it’s a regular thing these days (it was the first time I’ve seen them live in years).

Anyway, back on topic, I happened to read that SoS piece on the Chems last week. It’s almost the only article I could find anywhere about their live setup and their gear list. Whereas Orbital seem to do another 20 minute vid on their live setup every year or two, and Paul has done about 100 videos showing off his vast collection of vintage synths in the studio. He’s a proper nerd and bloody loves talking about them :rofl:

3 Likes

In the absence of a Bangface ticket (and Phil’s wig), I shall console myself by looking at my confirmation email for The Chems in November.

1 Like

And so you should be.

SHAME

1 Like

Despite all that gear whenever I’ve watched /heard their live performances it’s never sounded improvised or deviated much from any other performance.
So I was never sure why they’d bother with all the gear except for flashing lights

I feel the same with the prodigy. A few noisy guitars and drums but otherwise same electronics , structure … I know Liam looks like he’s doing a lot of vigorous encoder tweaking , but sound wise basically the same

Written by someone who’s in their audience … and not someone whos ever likely to play live to a single person let alone tour the world multiple times to 100’s or thousands of people. .

1 Like

It’s just a phase.

1 Like

During the Wonky tour in Seattle, Ableton crashed in the middle of a song. I couldn’t see the stage well enough to tell if they just rebooted Ableton or played some arpeggios while they were rebooting.

I’ve played a few shows that were essentially open mic nights with around 3-5 people in the audience. Very much worth doing, particularly if you have anxiety about public performance.

I wrote a longer version of this idea, but then decided not post it. Here’s a condensed one…

I’ve seen them several times across different albums/tours. Some shows have been noticeably better than others, even for roughly the same era, and even with my habit of going right to the front for a full sensory overload experience. My interpretation has been that sometimes they manage to ride a wave of the crowd’s mood with the slight arrangement tweaks and perhaps tweaking the mix a bit. It’s subtle tho’. The performances definitely differ from the album. Maybe they practice “this year’s” twist on the arrangement and more or less stick to it for a series of shows?

(I’m saying all this 'cos I want to believe it’s jammed live. The sync’d visuals really suggest to me that it’s not tho :slight_smile: )

(I’m speaking about the Chems here… perhaps you meant Orbital)

1 Like

I don’t care either way if it’s improvised or programmed, it’s just got to be entertaining. I’m definitely not up there at the side of the DJ booth or stage scratching my chin…critiquing in my mind their setup and performance.

Having said that, I just saw them here in Seattle. I’m old. Everyone there was old. Their show was too much energy for a random Tuesday night in a not so great venue (WAMU theatre).

Music was good. Visuals were good.

But I hate looking in the mirror and seeing that I (capital letter, I) am aging…

Ahhhhhhh :laughing:

3 Likes

I’ve read this interview a few times. I think when it first came out, I thought “that guy has the best job in the world”, but then read it again now and thought “that guy has the worst job!” hahah. The cable mess, the stress, lugging heavy shit on and off stage, the hours… Pretty sure this confirms I’m old :laughing:

2 Likes

They also used an Mfb dominion x on this performance

1 Like