Interview with Chemical Brother Technician Matt Cox

I’m not really that bothered if it’s improvised or whatever. They put on a bloody good show. And it’s not like you can recreate it in your bedroom even if you had their .als, so for me, that’s worth the price of admission. And yeah, best not to look around you too much at their gigs.

2 Likes

Ya the rex trial sampler, cant export the samples though :confused:

Don’t worry. I told them to hook up the people’s and give a full run down of the setup. I imagine they’re busy getting ready for tonight’s gig, and doing the video at the same time…
If they don’t though, I’m so going to leave an angry emoji on their next video.

1 Like

Yeah, but you know it would still be way fucking doper than the majority of jobs out there, plus lifting heavy equipment is why you bring the free interns.

Probably I read this one previously. Very interesting, yes.
On the other hand I find it very strange and disappointing that many of their “lives” contain too little differences to the studio material. Maybe just found randomly some worse examples

I don’t think that’s correct. The live stuff is very different to the recorded stuff. I think the point was much more about set to set variation within a tour. But again, I don’t have much issue with that. The chance of seeing them more than once on any given tour is slim. And for what it’s worth, it sounds to me like they do a fair about of live tweaking. Even if it is just riding the cutoff knob, it’s a lot of fun.

2 Likes

Maybe just not good examples. If you have some favorites on YT, would be interested to watch.

You can watch their whole live film on Vimeo. It’s from 2012 but you get the gist.

That sounds like a great set. I’ve seen them a couple of times more recently, the new tracks are not great but at Glastonbury they cut between tracks fast enough/mashed them up enough that it didn’t matter too much. I saw them at Field Day and it felt more boring and heavy on the new material. But their older stuff sounds so good live.

1 Like

I’ll try not to derail this much but in regards to ableton crashing I’m sure I read that underworld run 2 synced computers , if one drops they can switch to another with no impact.
I’ve enjoyed orbital / Chem brothers / underworld / kraftwerk gigs. Even some rap gigs ( who are basically rapping along to another vocal track quite often ) …
I think a recent moderat gig recording was good ( the arte one in notre dame )

Kraftwerk seemed quite similar each time though some of the members are allowed to do a filter sweep / reverb / delay send occasionally … very linked to their fixed visuals.

It helps if the sound system is good ( the forum in Kentish Town is pretty bad , I avoid gigs there )

2 Likes

I promise I’m not a shill for them, and by no means a fanboy, buttttt
If you’re wondering what to do tonight they’ll be live streaming on Coachella’s YouTube page. I watched last week and that’s what got me into the synth spotting mood. Plus the visuals we’re fucking dope. Im comparing to the days when one lazer at a rave was enough to melt minds.9:45 PDT time.
Also Gorillaz at 8:30 PDT.

saw Orbital, Chemicals, Prodigy, N-Joi, Moby live between 92 and 96, long before laptops on stage were even a thing. they rocked it then just as hard and “live” as they do today. not the tools, it’s the person using them

(Moby’s live set back then was 100% on DAT as far as we could all tell but he made up for that with bonkers energy onstage)

1 Like

Yeah, that dual Ableton rig is pretty standard these days. There’s a dedicated bit of hardware a lot of these acts use that listens to a sine wave on a spare output from both machines and hot switches within a sample of two if it stops.

2 Likes

Wow that’s super interesting, had no idea about the sine wave thing! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

I’ve been learning a lot about generating and controlling processes using signals like sine and sawtooth waves lately, so this method makes sense, as you can be super accurate and precise.

It’s definitely a smart way of ensuring a stable contingency.

2 Likes

I bet Nick Batt uses pulse width signals with random modulation, because he’s such a chad.

1 Like

2 examples of such a device (I don’t believe there are a whole lot of others):

https://www.iconnectivity.com/playaudio12

2 Likes

For those into the technical side of things here’s a break down on the lighting and front of house for the Chemicals.
The break down of the FOH racks is especially cool.

3 Likes