Interwebz nostalgia

Every get a chaffing tickle of nostalgia over some video you saw 20 years ago on youtube that you barely remember like some dude dressed up as mario jumping around his bedroom?

4 Likes

Japanese guy plays super mario on guitar gets me every time

2 Likes

Yes, there was a fail army or some such compilation from waaaay back where the guy was jumping on a trampoline and his dog was watching excitedly. The guy went to do a flip of the trampoline and stacked it somehow, and before he can even try to get up his dog is humping his head.

1 Like

Not as old, but it feels like ages ago. I always come back to this one, for a quick cheer up.

8 Likes

That’s amazing :joy:

15 Likes

There was a site where someone expertly curated very cheesy/cult/sample-fodder soundbytes - the project lasted a whole calendar year and the uploads had a bit of text/context along with the download (the sound)

It was a cool endeavour and i believe the curator managed to do the uploads every day - this is quite early pre-youtube days

The site may have referenced 365 in its title/homepage, it was in english

Anyway, i slavishly logged into it every day for that whole year (these weren’t kept uploaded due to the very limited bandwidth/space of those days) and got them all, put them on a disc in a G4 Mac Tower and the disc died - i lost some archive idea recordings of my own too - i was gutted (backed up stuff ever since) - that Mac had a magnetic media backup built in at Apple !!

anyway, that site …

What

was

it

called

?

anybody ? …

… and do you have any idea if those uploads are to be found online these days

3 Likes

A lot of mario video dudes out there. Reading this bbc piece on mario this morning made me think of my guy.

1 Like

@pokk also had a wonderfully curated patch-a-day/week type thing not long after that iirc - those focussed Nord Modular vignettes were
outstanding :thup:

1 Like

Nostalgia about the virtual is weird as it doesn’t feel all that much different from nostalgia over irl.

1 Like

Is this thread only about nostalgic videos, or any internet nostalgia? Because this website takes me back:

https://www.realultimatepower.net/

Hi, this site is all about ninjas, REAL NINJAS. This site is awesome. My name is Robert and I can’t stop thinking about ninjas. These guys are cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet.
Facts:

1. Ninjas are mammals.
  2. Ninjas fight ALL the time.
  3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.
3 Likes

Although it’s been posted before, it’s still the coolest Machinedrum video 15 years later

3 Likes

still smells like early youtube - all your base:

4 Likes

I love surfing the Internet Archive for that type of thing.

My current thing: hours and hours of old school MTV broadcasts.

I have 120 Minutes playing in the background. Some of the forgotten bands from the 90’s are a hoot, as are the old TV ads.

1 Like

There was a website called satanicsysadmins.org that had some funny shit on it back in the day.

8 Likes

I found this website once like 20 years ago…and well…no one really cares when I tell them about it or think I’m lying but it was devoted to men who liked to get their leather dress shoes wet as they liked the “squishy feeling”. I somehow stumbled upon it researching Bass Weejuns and recall one fella discussing how ever since he fell into a stream on the way to church as a kid he was into that sort of thing. I tried to find if it was still around a few times but never devoted much time to the pursuit which I guess is a fair indication that I am not into wet squishy feeling shoes but accept without judgement that some are.

Is that Scott Walker singing?

Whoever it is: It’s a most lovely voice and better than the original!

And I always almost die at the “Oh my god I tried…” moment…