Interwebz nostalgia

1 Like

http://notpron.org/notpron/

Definitely:)

8 Likes

And there’s this one that I keep coming back to every so often because it is still mind blowing. And David Elsewhere is still active dancing :).

Ow a door has been opened.

12 Likes

Pre youtube. The first time I saw that it was downloaded from Napster.

2 Likes

me too actually lol my roomate at the time downloaded it off napster. pre youtube

this is also oldaf the barbarian stone age internet

3 Likes

Same. It was a bit of a departure for him as he mostly just downloaded tons of those Arnold Schwarzenegger prank phone calls at the time.

1 Like

why were prank calls so popular? was it crank yankers that started that or was it jerky boys holdover?

this is far from golden era internet but still an oldie but a goodie - I can’t even find the original post, I think watsky pulled the plug on “pale kid raps fast” but it lives on in internet infamy:

Longmont Potion Castle is the only crank worth his weight in sod.

this guy is so obnoxious it’s hard for me to view it as entertainment

Remember being blown away by that video and then not long after seeing this advert on the telly and thinking they’d ripped it off only to discover that nope, David Elsewhere hit the big time

1 Like

Zombo.com

4 Likes

Copies (1999) < Eva & Franco Mattes

The was a site called mingthemerciless.com way back in the early naughties that used to make me laugh, the entire site was basically all flash animated memes, totally not stuff you could post today without getting cancelled or called out over…

3 Likes

when i wer a lad, ther wer only one website, it wer rather good, flashy like …

4 Likes

https://www.webhamster.com/

They corrected the spelling of hamster, though.

I remember a page, wasn’t even a site, which consisted in a really pixelated picture of two formula one racing around a track corner.
The audio was on or two guys making the engine sound with their mouthes. It was hilarious !
The sound has been used or remade to make the original crazy frog video…

Never manged to find the original page, anyone remember that ?

And do you remember this one ? Origins — t o k y o p l a s t i c
with flash animations like this one : 🦋 drum machine — tokyoplastic.com [4K][UHD] - YouTube

1 Like

I actually remember a super early 2000’s single player browser based drift racing game which for the life of me I can’t remember the name of, but the web address ended with .AU and it had drift or drifting in the name. It was only one track, and the perspective was a basic overhead so it was not like a real “race”, but it was super fun and you controlled it using the left and right arrows plus like 2 other keyboard keys. You would pick up points and money while going around the track sideways for as long as possible. I had a job where I had to work in isolation and the internet had almost everything blocked so when there was no work to do, it was brutal. But for some reason I could get on this dedicated site for the browser based game, and it was the best down time stress relief. It was just challenging enough to where I got really good but never got tired of it. ha

1 Like

For all the shit it (rightfully) copped for being bloated, insecure and non-standards-compliant, there were a number of Flash-based sites in the late 90s to early 00s that were completely rad.

Joshua Davis’ dreamless and praystation sites were my go-to for Flash-based visual trips back then. I also checked k10k.net every, damn, day for interesting visual design links and still miss it.

At the other end of the technical spectrum, I have great nostalgia for the utterly text-only and frequently hilarious ntk.net.

Lastly there was nothing quite like the heady schadenfreude and nihilism hit of regularly checking the headlines and ‘sick ticker’ of fuckedcompany.com as one’s own wasteful employer imploded their way onto the front page during the first of the dotcom bust cycles.

5 Likes