Introducing Analog Four & Analog Rytm MKII

With all due respect, I can see you’re new to this, which is ok and I wish Elektron a lot of success with their new customers but I’m probably going to sign off on them, like I did with Clavia/Nord at the time when they decided to stop innovating and only produce electronic pianos… Still love my Nord Modular G1 though… And maybe one day Elektron will be cool again, like DSI or Oberheim is currently…

I might still buy an A4mkI as they’re dirt cheap nowadays. Thanks for that Elektron! And maybe an AH, just waiting for them to launch a silver, slanted box so I can buy the original cheap as well… and let you new guys buy the fancy stuff :wink:

By the way, you new guys might try to relate a Moog Sub37 with a Mother 32 (only 5 numbers apart, I agree) but try Googling (going a bit back in time) a Sub Phatty, a Phatty, a Voyager and even all the way back to a Minimoog Model D… See the heritage, the similarities, the consistency? Do you think Moog would throw that away?

Elektron was getting there with the Dark Trinity… building a cult classic that people were willing to pay almost 5000€ for and than they throw that all away? I’d say Fire that idiot! Rather today than tomorrow and cut your losses… Announce the Dark Trinity mk3…!

3 Likes

From official posts from Elektron I’ve seen on here in the past, a lot of their answers as to why there couldn’t have been 8 outputs or 4 or outputs or whatever, was purely due to the box size, there wasn’t enough room. The MKii chasis seems to be purely a design solve, you can’t have it all. By angling the face they’ve created more room for the I/O, which I’m sure everyone welcomes. But I agree I think the bigger fail is the OT, it absolutely should have got the same treatment as the Analog boxes. The only assumption you can make here is that one is coming that will match the Analog MKii design language, albeit maybe not for another year or two, hence the stopgap OT MKii.

4 Likes

Is this to suggest there is no heritage, similarities, or consistency from MD Mk1 (then) all the way through A4 MK2 (now) ?

I see all of those things, objectively.

There is no accounting for taste. Taste is purely subjective.
However, similarities (sequencer, navigation) heritage (sequencer, knob layout), and consistency (parameter menus, knob layout, sequencer) are all objectively present in Elektron, from then through now.

It’s not a perfectly rectangular box anymore, sure.
But otherwise the lineage is as obvious as any other company’s.

7 Likes

i mean, criticism is fine, necessary even, but some people are taking this personally. that’s just weird to me.

7 Likes

Some could even make the argument that a slanted/wedge non-squared case is a return to Elektron’s roots.

12 Likes

havent read the whole thread, but in regards to sampling with the Rytm: I assume this is similar to sampling on the Digi right? 33 seconds and Mono only. am i right?

OB Premium for the new boxes is a big letdown. AR MKII is 1700 € !!! i dont get why i have to pay extra fees for OB at that price point!

[edit] and one final question: Do our current (MKI) and the upcoming (MKII) Boxes share the same OS?

1 Like

i know, right? i always set my mk1 boxes with an angle. i actually bought a little wedge just for this purpose.

3 Likes

Yeah the angled surfaces are a big improvement.
Saves me pulling out my bag full of random foam wedges also

2 Likes

Historically, the mkII OS updates have applied to mkI machines as well, there is no reason to expect that they won’t with these ones.

1 Like

Seems to confirm the previous statements about parts of the OT being feature locked due to either hardware constraints or issues with the availability of firmware source code.

1 Like

What I really want to know now is if the Analog Keys is getting an upgrade, or if it’s going to be discontinued.

1 Like

Yep 100% agree with you here mate

It makes total sense that a new OT2 is being developed in the same form factor as the Analog mk II’s. The question is when will we see it?

Yeah and it might not be the OT as we know it. Remember the OB FX mixer everybody thought the DT was lol

Are you making music or starting a fanboy club?
I don’t get it and I’m not trying to be rude here but man you put so much emphasis on the least important feature of a machine that its purpose is to “make” sounds.
If you don’t find it useful and you know that it won’t improve your music then don’t buy it but complaining that it looks “bad or whatever” and pretty much shouting about firing designers is absolutely ridiculous.

9 Likes

Be really cool if the MKIIs had Pattern Mutes.

2 Likes

It’s not a fact that the new boxes look great but it’s for sure true. There’s nothing obtrusive in their design to pick at. It’s not bland but it’s both very subdued and precise looking. No one without a knack for design can make something look like this. They’ll miss something. They would unknowingly ruin it with something that throws off the balance. Design can’t be measured like temperature but it is a sensed thing. Its not a science but it has fundamentals. The mkii’s are almost like looking at an expensive sports car designed to precision… it might not be the exact year or color that every last person likes but the design of a good car prevails over time and pleases most eyes but never everyone’s eyes so they’ll mix it up again eventually

2 Likes

I think you’re correct on the DT and Rytm MkII. That wasn’t clear during the weeks of DT guesswork because hardly anyone would’ve imagined how much the Rytm was changing. (Given the amount of speculation, someone probably guessed right, and the Rytm was mentioned a lot–but the identical code does seem quite likely to me now that you’ve said it.

Audio or didn’t happen :slight_smile:

Oh man I just stumbled upon the Elektron Facebook page for the first time.
They are discussing these new releases over there
Man its brutal. Flame on. Obviously no moderators there.
Now I know why I got off Facebook.
To think Facebook is supposed to be a form of marketing for a business :zonked:

5 Likes