Introducing: Digitone Keys

IMG_1203

I had a DK along! Thing looks wild though not for me. I love the small size and keybed on the DN. Wish them luck with it but I’m sure they won’t need it.

11 Likes

Then don’t get it. Simple

NI uses touch strips only on their cheapest keyboards. Their top line has wheels for a reason.

Touch strips vs. wheels is like comparing touchscreen controls vs. real controls. Operating them without looking at them is needlessly error prone …

6 Likes

cool. thanks for the info

You’re welcome.

This too was my main wondering since I use a keyboard with my DN. Not sure when/where it’ll be available but a mod said it will be.

didn´t read everything here but what´s about portamento for digitone-nokeys users ? is there a technical reason why it´s digitone-keys exclusive at the moment ?

You have installed 1.20 yet… :joy:

2 Likes

It’s not exclusive. Go download the new patch.

2 Likes

It’s not dude. I used portamento 10 seconds after I updated OS.

We weren’t wined and dined fellas.

2 Likes

Power daw for the DNK is 12V 1A so the same battery packs can be used that work with other Digiboxes :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes, after posting i realized you cant have the best of both worlds, 1) being the minimal/sleek modern appearance the touch strips offer (subjective but in my terms) and the other 2) being solid functionality and dependability of the wheels.

And furthermore im not a keyboard player so wheels seem very practical.

1 Like

Ha ha yes! I owned a SH-1000 and one of the bass presets was maybe the best straight up House bass sounds I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

Digitone and Digitone Keys share the same firmware. The only feature i’ve seen which is not enabled on the Digitone is the USER MODE assign menu (assign the additional controllers to internal targets).

Ah, and of course, the CONTROL INPUT stuff, because there are no CONTROL INPUTS on the Digitone.

2 Likes

sine waves with portamento - a dream comes true. so many years after selling my roland xp … can´t wait to explore that

2 Likes

Nice.

Yeah it looks sort of clunky compared with the AK, but it is reminiscent of the Monomachine KB. Not putting LEDs over the keys is fine with me. I am not a big fan of LED-illuminated keyboards and they add cost. I also prefer the mod and pitch bend wheels over a joystick… it is more familiar to me, personally. I am very pleased that Elektron included aftertouch on the keyboard, too. It makes a synth more “playable” to me, provided one makes patches that take advantage of it, which I like to do.

I have a digitone already and am sort of cramped on space… well more than sort of. Imagining the DT in terms of an 8-voice polysynth is not something I have done, tbh, and this thing is really tempting. If the AK had 8 voices instead of 4 I would have purchased one a long time ago as a replacement for my V1 box.

I think the logical thing to do with this is add either a Digitakt or a second Digitone on the right side for symmetry. :smiley:

2 Likes

lol chill out people … buy it or ignore it, either way you’ll be fine :tongue:

4 Likes

a digitone keys without keys ?

This is what the hype train will do to you!

4 Likes

As a keyboard/synth player, the ergonomics of having essentially a DN inbetween the keys and the wheels is… SHOCKINGLY terrible.

7 Likes