Introducing Digitone

I like this new unit. Damn.
Anyone know how many LFOs per track?

The Chorus effect really lifts the sounds in that SS demo

1 Like

1 Like

I like DTa and DTo, personally

4 Likes

Also frees up for future entries in the ecosystem, e.g. DTi (Digitime delay/echo unit), DTe (Digitext teletype-style unit), and DTu (Digitune parameter-locking tuner)

3 Likes

too bad this box doesnā€™t have one:

1 Like

a cheap trick, needed to give 4op synths a 6op sound

DX7 has these screened on the housing. Far hipper imho

2 Likes

When will be available?

Of course not, just if you want to achieve DX7 like sounds. Additional operators can be set to static freqs on a DX7 so they are essentially like LFOā€™s to create vibrato or ā€œfilterā€ sweeps. Thatā€™s why having 6 is nice.

5 Likes

Yes it does on the case, and the volca fm has them on a card.
But I really enjoy having them on the actually screen especially if its showing the current algorithm that is being worked with. Hence why i said in the box. Something little and not really that important but I guess thAts why Iā€™m digging it. There is an iPad app called dxi which does the same thing except the algorithms show movement for the active operator.

1 Like

Elektron had them available today but sold out stat. Iā€™d contact your local dealer cause it sounds like they should be seeing them soon enough.

1 Like

HOW DOES IT SOUND COMPARED TO ABLETON? Operator?

Thanks for chiming in. More ops are always appreciated but working with 4 on the DTo will be a bit easier (hopefully) to get moving. Iā€™ll still bust out the DX7II if I think 6ops and a keyboard is needed.

is a SEXY beast

1 Like

Itā€™s getting old but itā€™s a grand ole time once you memorize how to move around. Iā€™m still reading thru the ā€œcomplete DX7IIā€ to get a better grip on what Iā€™m doing.

itā€™s gotta be DA and DO

If you get both you can call it DOA and then you just have to wait for the extreme beach volley ball unit :grin:

1 Like

6op would have been nice, but I have to concede that the Digitone (D1) sounds nice, smart move to put a chorus in there which will go some way towards getting nearer to some 6op sounds. I havenā€™t checked out the manual yet but the envelopes are key in getting a lot of great sounds on FM synths, with only 2 envelopes though it remains to be seen if this will be such a limitation, given it has p-locks.

Damn, I thought Iā€™d be able to resist this one, maybe but maybe not :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

I still donā€™t understand why - after 30 years of hardware development, these machines canā€™t easily have 64-128+ voices? Are the chips really too expensive for this price point after all this time?

DX7 was 16-voice in 1983.

5 Likes