Introducing Digitone

No slides that I could find

I think Elektron is not the Elektron from the MnM or Octatrack anymore…
Of course these devices had also their problems but they did not shovel out one half baked product after the other. This is arturia territory…
A good manner would be to first fix what has to be fixed on the DT and the MK2s and then come out with something new. And that should be something that shows that they have learned and a stable product should be sold… I am really happy I sold my DT before the pricedrop last year and now I can watch from the distance as almost nothing happens since months…
This is sort of the way things are handled today… People are buying their stuff anyway…
Kind of funny… Consumers and their power they have and how they not use it by not buying stuff that is half baked…
I laughed as I saw Cenk in the greenhouse… that is so funny as it is a marketing decision and I guess they were really excited to come up with a place that due to its humudity ruins electrical devices … but hey, it looks good… but I really missed some lizards crawling over the Dtone…
I really like my OT, have it for 2,5 years now and still I am impressed and find new ways to treat it… I remember one time were it got stuck, ONE time… The rest is happiness…
I wish I could say that about the DT and I will watch carefully how the Dtone is…
But as I never understood the beauty of FM this one is nothing for me…

3 Likes

I think people who after NI Massive, Serum, NI Razor kind of Mid Bass wobble for broken DnB, Jungle (BassGorilla) or whatever it’s called nowadays will love that Box… (dubstep, future bass, trap, drum & bass, glitch hop)

And be able to make those sounds Morphing and “Talking” in Live Performance : probably even more…

I always find reloading a kit pretty fast on the MnM - same result or?

MM is the machine where it’s the most cumbersome to reload a Kit !
MD being the easiest, as you can do it with one hand, it’s just MEANT to be reloaded on a regular basis.

Digitone is the same as DT on this matter.

1 Like

you clearly didn’t buy the OT early enough - it took plenty of time to settl down.

I’m pretty OK with their strategy. If you waited until everything was perfect, nothing would ever be released, and Elektron have a good record of getting there in the end and that’s what counts. Also given this knowledge, nothing in this field is so important that you need to buy it when it first comes out.

5 Likes

It’s been Negualized

I’ve been using that thing for 10 years and never found it awkward. Horses for courses, I just don’t see a HUGE advantage in the DTn in this regard. In other aspects maybe; like assignable/dynamic voices allocation. But then, no digiwav or sid :frowning:

The Elektron step sequencer and the way parameter locks work is almost exactly how a tracker works. I wouldn’t be surprised it the “p-lock” concept as implemented by Elektron was originally derived from trackers.

I’m not really dig the demo (to my taste and what I would like to make as music) but there are good, especially the one @Prints post really nowadays bang techno (noisy middle frequencies) it can be a track available in every music shop today.

But I do think every sound generators is good idea (I will always have money on desk for some synthesis differences), I was not expected a FM synth from Elektron and that’s what I like about it :slight_smile: And the digitone makes me want to explore… I think that’s all we ask for… it’s on my wish list this year. And I hope to use it in a way completely different from what I heard

Planning Digitakt, Digitone and Analog Heat this year.
Don’t know how though :joy:

4 Likes

Well, unless you know a shortcut I don’t, you have to hit the Kit button then reach load/save then press OK.
While on DT and DN it’s just Fn+Yes/No
It’s a very powerful thing together with the Ctrl-AL.

On Digitone, being able to Ctrl-AL the operators parameters will be very interesting, I guess. And reload the Kit to get back on your feet reveals useful with such feature.

3 Likes

Hehe, I might come at your place show you the machines so that you can make up your mind !
:smiley:

1 Like

If you get it before me :wink: I’m pretty good at finding money I don’t have …

2 Likes

In a performance context, one is probably going to go straight to load after pressing kit, so it’s 3 very quick button presses vs 2. Not saying it’s not an improvement, just not dramatic for an experienced user.

1 Like

Right? I was getting wider and clearer audio that analog out to my RME.

Mind you, I tend to route everything into angry sounds via outboard eventually…

1 Like

Of course, it’s not THAT bad.
But I was intrigued that you chose MM as the reference for fast kit reloading amongst all Elektron machines : it’s the only one that doesn’t have a shortcut for this ! :tongue:

1 Like

Makes sense for the digital boxes. Avoid conversion at all if you are just going ITB or back out to the real world via nicer converters than you would ever expect on a groovebox. The digitwins routed through my Orion will be glorious

right - crossed wires - my comment was in response to someone elses post.

1 Like

I have to say that based on the demos and preset patterns this thing does sound good. I think this can sound both really warm and hazy and crips and cutting. I’m also really impressed By the percs they also managed to pull off with this machine. I would have just loved to hear a bit more dirtier stuff too.

2 Likes

Indeed, my bad.
——

I would love to hear what a LFO does on the Harmonics parameter… This little part makes the Digitone pretty close to a wavetable synth… Seems to sound pretty good alone already, in a 0-Coast way… This with 4 layers, could leads to interesting sounds that have nothing to do with FM :wink: