Introducing Model:Samples

Oh well, parameter locks are sufficient for me.

First thought, my thought :

UGLY.

A great product in general or anything designed to give inspiration for the creative process should have a nicer man machine interface!
This is very subjective. But I think there is a world between this design and something like the op-1 !!

Elektron, I’m in love with your products and support you but there is still a margin for improvement in the design department!!!

15 Likes

even if you don’t think it’s ugly I think it was a very poor branding choice to make something that looks so similar to an electribe

7 Likes

This looks great to compliment the OT. I have been looking for a simple sample player for drums while OT handles longer/melody Stems.

The one thing, no individual out for Kick (I guess you can use an audio channel in the OT for it, but then you are splitting drum sequencing into 2 boxes…)

Wouldn’t it be similar to the Volca Sample for that purpose? plus you can control it with CC with the OT open midi channels?

This is exactly what I have been looking for to update the live set…just against the wall on the price and how to implement it.

11 Likes

A sampler that can´t sample takes away so much fun especially when you are a beginner and never had a sampler before. well, i had many samplers in my life but i totally miss that in so many new products. a box where i just hit record, sample. adjust beginning and end, cut, save. done.

otherwise i really like your new product.
i can imagine that this machine has a super fast workflow
when you are a experienced electronic musician.

that price tag though … cough cough

8 Likes

Does it have choke, fills, Retrig, Save/load kits etc? As a drum machine I ‘might’ be interested at some point, to free up OT tracks like you say. Really a shame there’s no cv/gate though… would have made it hard for me not to consider grabbing one if they’d included that. Trying to reduce the amount of boxes I have in front of me for project housekeeping/juggling live pattern switches right now though so this one is probably a pass.

It looks like 6 samples per pattern.
It’s simple, basic reverb and delay too
No side chain type thing

I expect the digitakt feature request list will fill up with ‘ chance track ‘ and other unique features , and conspiracies will start about feature overlap.

2 Likes

sounds like the vocal sample is playing from the internal tracks.

I don’t recall any Elektron fans asking for something like this, but I suppose this is what happens when you don’t listen to your fan base and follow the money.

I just hope they don’t stop making big boxes or the Digis. This device is for new Elektronauts.

I mean come on. All of us here own legacy devices, big boxes or Digis, we have minimal use for this, not that it’s bad at all, just not for almost anyone here. No sample locking on an Elektron sampler? That’s the most utilized feature on my DT currently to create 16-32 bar phrase motion. I don’t like portable synths, though I do admit this looks like it has decent playability, I just hope it doesn’t get stale too fast given the knob per function implantation.

8 Likes

It’s very dull too.

That thomann demo wasn’t good either

1 Like

if you order w/ an online retailer in another state, there is no sales tax (for now). So it’s $399 flat.

3 Likes

have you listened to the clips posted on elektron’s soundcloud? doesn’t sound dull to me

3 Likes

That demo was terrible.

3 Likes

Technically it’s not a sampler.

It’s a sample based groovebox
The sequencer seems fine though I’m not sure it’ll tempt the 404 gang , not as good fx or performance wise.

1 Like

Reminds me of something I can make on my phone, only I can’t do things like retrig or live alteration usually.

This should go here now:

8 Likes

i wish something else too from elektron, but it´s totally fine for me that they go this direction. i like the simplicity of the model:sample (MS?)
if that thing could sample i´d be really interested.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed the phrase, “no sample locking” being thrown around a lot about this device.

So what’s the difference between a sample lock and parameter lock?
I know it’s probably a completely noob question but I haven’t delved into the plocking much so please excuse me.
But we are here to learn and such so I asked anyway. :slight_smile:

So I thought plocking a note that has a sample on it was the same thing as sample locking?

Sample locking you change the sample pr step. So one track can be used for both kick and snare for instance.

3 Likes