Introducing Model:Samples

umm, I always assumed grooveboxes and samplers are the same thing :fearful:

dont shoot the messenger, just posting the video since examples are slim at the moment.

you have sparked my curiosity though, can you make something like this taking an existing vocal track and play along to it on your phone? Not taking a jab at you, but put your money where your mouth is <3

1 Like

It better have glide then.

1 Like

Oh ok, thanks dude!
Yeah I use that method a lot on my A4mk2

Edit: wait might not be the same cuz itā€™s not samples but I get it.

Well this is very crowded part of the market place. I would expect price drops and I think 299 euros would be about the right price. Plus if you have an iPad then Patterning is pretty good. I love Elektron but I think this little machine isnā€™t particularly innovative.

5 Likes

A sampler has audio inputs ,
A groovebox is usually an all in one device that can sequence and do drums , synths etc ( using synth and/or sample playback )

akai s1000 is sampler
Yamaha r1mx is groovebox
Yamaha rs9000 / mpc are sampling grooveboxes

Iā€™m being a little pedantic but when reading a spec sheet itā€™s often in the details

3 Likes

Well all I can say is once the battery pack is out I will likely to get itā€¦ it looks like it will be possibly the even more focused on live tweaking based on the knob per function and performance buttons. Sample and mangle with your digitakt then transfer stuff over to this for a nice portable experience. Looks pretty dang durable to boot so Iā€™d feel better tossing it in a bag. That said I could see just waiting for whatever is next in this line of product because maybe a little portable synth version might be nicer.

1 Like

ElektronĀ“s plan is to establish this machine as a gateway-drug to elektron devices.
Personally I find this machine quite lame. Why should I choose this machine over Digitakt (which is 620 Euro in Germany) which is nearly better in every aspect beside the velocity sensitive pads?

4 Likes

No need for the sarcastic heart my d00d, really detracts from the legitimacy of any argument here.

Second of all, I said ā€œremindsā€, not ā€œit is the same and has the same capabilitiesā€.

Third, I donā€™t really understand what youā€™re asking me to do so be a little more descriptive and Iā€™ll try.

Edit: if youā€™re talking about utilizing a single track as vocals and syncing the tempo to it and sampling other sounds to play along with it maybe look at the popular ā€œSamplrā€ iPhone/iPad app. Cuckoo has a nice video of it.

I wonder if this is Elektronā€™s attempt to branch out to the trap/hiphop crowd. Thereā€™s only so much money to be made from the bearded IDM folks.

4 Likes

Interesting that it has class compliant audio over USB instead of Overbridgeā€¦

2 Likes

@RhythmDroid yeah, I was just explaining to @tasker why the USD$ to GBPĀ£ conversion is more that a straight conversion from the USA untaxed price.

The only thing here thatā€™s cheap is the $9.99 app called Samplr.

5 Likes

Personally, Iā€™m excited that younger people without a lot of money but bursting with creativity can sit on a bus and develop ideas with one of the most sophisticated sequencers Elektron has made. :heat::heat::heat:

13 Likes

this 100 times.

iā€™m excited to see this battery grip. It obviously is something that is going to make the unit more ergonomic to take on the go.

4 Likes

I think the pads may be a hint in that direction.

Iā€™ll take a DigiDrum, too. :okej:

2 Likes

i actually am really digging the form factor after looking at it for a bit longer. c64 keyboard vibes for sure

3 Likes

Donā€™t see OB mentioned. Curious.

Great little box. But it may have been better to appraoch the hype another way.

It may have been better recieved had nothing been said and boomā€¦whats this! But to hype this as it was on the coming soon thread kinda took some of the heat off.

Its like Blizzcon this year. Super hardcore fans save to go for the new big reveal. And they drop DIABLOā€¦the phone app. Sure itll be amazing, but that definitely was not the right place to reveal. Their core user base was gutted.

Model will do great i bet. The marketing approach was less than.

Simon demo: really cool
Thomann demo: OUCH!

5 Likes