Introducing Model:Samples

As a digitakt and octatrack user I’m super confused by this product

11 Likes

meh… i appreciate the target audience and subsequent appeal but definitely wont be getting this guy.

1 Like

until yesterday. :joy:

1 Like

:sweat: id still wait for after namm once everyone announces their new products. A lot of companies that have not announced anything yet.

1 Like

Not going to lie: I’m still crossing my fingers for a substantial DT firmware update come NAMM.

13 Likes

My point being is you don’t give up a sample voice.

But it is a six voices only synth. Chording the midi out would be nice.

Then it obviously isn’t aimed at you. Nothing to be confused about. Other people will quite enjoy it I think.

I could see someone grabbing this and a Modal Skulpt for example. I love using JUST the Digitakt or Digitone quite a bit. It’s kind of like having a MOD tracker in a little box that I can sit back on the couch with sometimes. This is very similar, only much less expensive, and with some additional manual control. I see it being great in those situations. Sit back, sketch something out. I’d rather leave my Digis or full-size boxes in the studio, and not disconnect/re-connect them all the time, and just haul this thing to the couch instead for those little remote jam sessions.

Writing music doesn’t always have to be serious business with advanced tools in the studio. It can be just for fun in the comfort of a big chair for example, or outside on the deck on a sunny day.

8 Likes

Exactly. :speaking_head::writing_hand:
Express yourself!

2 Likes

I feel this is part of Elektrons decision to not include OB in this box. They want the Digi and Analog line to remain as studio pieces and the ‘model’ line to be more portable.

3 Likes

no sample locks but i guess you could load long samples with multiple sounds and lock the start point to have different sounds on a single track.

3 Likes

I agree. I think this is for a different sort of musician with different goals in mind. Nothing says they can’t overlap, or be used together either. Just that this is aimed at something different. I like it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think there is definitely room for creative trickery on something like this. It’ll be fun to see what people squeeze out of it.

2 Likes

I love that they grouped samples in kits

2 Likes

i prefer to just us an iPad to serve as a GUI for mixing and sends, midi-fighter twister for effects modification and then the OT driving a modular and external poly.

I can pretty easily slip this into my setup and not think twice. I can also take it by itself and avoid big screens entirely for a while. It isn’t a need to have for me, it’s a nice to have and different set of options (which breeds different outcomes). I like to use the IPad for effects and sometimes strange apps to sample, but the latter is mostly the modular job nowadays. I like to keep things one device to one purpose (in the case of the iPad that means one view of TouchOSC) and have them be able to function as part of a system and on their own.

1 Like

Op1 is portable but still offers a way to transfer separate stems. Shame there’s no OB for similar portable>studio on this…

Something I missed when I still had my OT. That was my biggest issue with it coming from a Machinedrum.

agree, OB on this would have sold me a bit more on the idea of getting this. As it stands though, this machine doesnt really provide with anything new to what I already have.

1 Like

Id pay 250 pounds just to never have to use a touch screen to make music. Like if there was a government fee to pay to avoid it id be like ‘worth it’

Model:Sample is so much more imo

1 Like

You know you can do that for free right? Just don’t use one :wink:

6 channel interface?