Introducing Octatrack MKII

Does Mk1 have trig conditions?

2 Likes

We know it doesnā€™t ā€¦ but people also conveniently overlook that thereā€™s nowhere obvious to position the ux element ā€¦ there was space free in a logical position in both the A4 and AR ā€¦ thereā€™s certainly not an elegant place to put this on the OT and adding depth to the already maxed out user experience isnā€™t the way ahead ā€¦ I wouldnā€™t complain if it was shoe-horned in, but I really really doubt that will ever happen ā€¦ they could have screen printed Fill beneath the page button if this was on the roadmap ā€¦ it certainly does not look like it

1 Like

They do mention the inputs have extra headroom. Apart from that I donā€™t think the balancing will make much difference since in 99% of all use cases people just hook up short, unbalanced patch cables from synths they have on their desktops.

2 Likes

Yer we know it doesnt and seeing mk2 has the same OSā€¦you know why I asked this question.

PS i want cond. trigs and I hope the release of mk2 makes it happen for mk1, but bought it knowing it is not promised. It would make a lot of people happy.

1 Like

Anybody here watch the Simpsons?
It reminds me of the episode where Lisa makes the ā€œLisa the LionHeartā€ doll to battle the Malibu Stacey doll.
I see AKAI as Lisa with the new MPC Live, trying to show everybody how itā€™s better. Then the big day comes to sell it and everyone seeā€™s the Malibu Stacy with a new Hatā€¦and freaks out and buys that!
Akai: The Live is newer and better!!!
Everyone: But the Octa has a new HAT!!!

Hahaha, seriously though, it worked on me. I think Iā€™m falling in love with the Octa MK2 and will be canceling my MPC Live order.

One question though, can you export tracks from the Octa to Disk then transfer via USB or do I need to just plug up the TRS cables to my interface and actually record the output?

2 Likes

You can record around 6 or so minutes but better to record via audio interface - output - recording device.

Thatā€™s if you record a stereo track I believe. If you want to record all 8 tracks separately that is pretty much impossible. Which is by far the biggest let down with the OT and MKII doesnā€™t seem to change a thing about it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. I have never recorded this way myself.

8 is impossible but canā€™t you split 4 to mono and record 4 that way?
Always something :smiley:

This thing big as the Digitakt, its dimensions read:W340 Ɨ D185 Ɨ H63 mm (8.5 Ɨ 7.2 Ɨ 2.5ā€³) including knobs and rubber feet?

Looks like a typo.
Unless elektron partnered with Roland on their boutique series :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sure thereā€™s workarounds to get a minimum of studio integration going. But without OB/digital-outs or separate analog outs or recording to CF card it is impossible to put together and perform a track on the OT and get 8 stems for your DAW. This is really frustrating. I found out about that only after I bought my MKI and I was completely dumbstruck by this omission. Now itā€™s 2017 and they rerelease it with an even higher price tag and this basic functionality is still missing.

3 Likes

asking for Trig Conditions is justified.

Dont forget: MK II Versions were released with the Silver Boxes as well and those added new Features, like 64 Steps in the Sequencer! If Elektron continues this tradition (and an OT MKII looks exactly like this) new features can be expected.

And what does ā€œInstant Samplingā€ mean? Sounds like a new feature to me, so they had to work on the OS again and therefore thereā€™s no reason why they should NOT bring Trig Conditions to the table. Unless they solved this internally with a new Macro Device which sends multiple Commands in series to execute old functions. Wouldnt make sense?!

So please, @Cosmic and the like: Save it! Questions like this are legimite! We all know that the OT didnt had Trig Conditions. Doesnt mean that an MK II Version should not have them too ^^

1 Like

Whatā€™s the bets that the reason for the extra weight is that there is a battery inside?

I like the new interface elements, theyā€™ll bring significant immediacy improvements.

The possibility of a few OS tweaks is also most interesting. If elektronā€™s honourable behaviour to date is anything to go by, MKI OT owners might see a couple more bugs being squashed, AED enhancements and perhaps a new track machine or two. No reason we wonā€™t see some DT features in their new sampling flagship, the OT mk1 and 2

My first thought was: Great it will surely have Trigger Conditions and OB support. Now hearing that it doesnt have it is a bit astounding. But Im also happy that I dont have to sell my mk1, as I can live without the fancy new screen and buttons. Its nice for new customers, and the old ones are pleased that their ot isnt becoming worthlessā€¦

1 Like

It is not listed in the ā€œwhatā€™s newā€ section so I guess it only refers to the standard way in which the OT samples.

The original does instant sampling right now though ā€¦ Track+Source !

4 Likes

:3lektron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjy_7haflaM

No OB nor sequencer upgrade?

No thanks.

1 Like

just a few month for me to wait for thatā€¦ great idea!