Introducing Octatrack MKII

If i was looking to buy an OT new id be well happy. Again i think Elektron is catering to new customers with this and why not if they have new hardware that makes the experience easier and more tactile. Its moniker is Mk 2 so it kinda lays out its intentions. Theyre obviously proud and sure of the operating experience of the new buttons etc developed for the DT they thought it a worthwhile addition/upgrade for the OT.
Not a huge issue to me as frankly the OT does more things already than i can possibly use

3 Likes

Just for clarification,

Say I had 8 stereo audio tracks in Octa. It seems like the best thing I could do is send 1 stereo track to the main out and another to the Cue and record those simultaneously?

Man, thatā€™s a PITA. It is pretty crazy that they arenā€™t planning OB but maybe they have something else up there sleeves. I hope they come clean with all the details soon. I am in line for a MPC Live but I own a RYTM and a A4 and would love to keep it in the family if the specs are right.

Why so serious?

Itā€™s ugly, but the grey might prove useful in a dark booth. Itā€™s nice that they still support the old OS and projects. BUT this also means it will lack the goddam dedicated Mixer Page, the only additional feature the OT really needed! And with MK2 on its way, it will be a very long time until a new OT2 with 8 potis for 8 tracks will come (or never)

ā€œMore boxes than youā€™ll believeā€

ā€“The same boxes

7 Likes

Hmmmā€¦
MK2 series updates?
Shieeet lol

@Ess can you guys share all?
Iā€™m still in return phase of my A4.
My two latest pieces seem to be generation older within two weeks of purchase.

The thing with getting stems out of OT is that most people jam on the scene fader etc during a song so theyā€™re looking for 8 separate track stems with all that improv in tact/sync. Itā€™s not gonna be the same timing/improv decisions etc if you make another pass.

I think the only way is to jam a song and record the scene fader midi and all tweaking etc in to daw as midi and then play that back from daw and make multiple passes, recording separate OT stems in to Daw on each pass. Clunky is an understatementā€¦ Main issue with OT. Surprised they did nothing to solve it.

Do they not make the exact same dsp but with more ram? With more ram they could maybe have recorded 8 stems internally simultaneously and export files? God knows really tho.

Either way whatā€™s done is done :confused:

1 Like

Anti-climax on repeat :wink:

No modern code is so impenetrable as to be beyond rectification or enhancement - unless the coder decides to deliberately obscure and obsfucate itā€¦ but still that only slows down the refactoring process.
I doubt elektron would have had such poor management of its original OT codebase that they couldnā€™t re-engineer or recreate it from scratch. DT is half an OT anyway so they clearly have useable source code to build on.

1 Like

Iā€™m still out of likes. But, rest assuredā€¦

2 Likes

All my gear just lost half its value in one day.

5 Likes

Word. The rest might be an urban legend

Man, that sounds painful.
Ughhhā€¦ I hope they have a solution in the works. Itā€™s the one thing that is making the MPC Live still attractive. Iā€™d love to own both but simply canā€™t afford it.

1 Like

Ah, but not if you see its value in the music it can create, in that light itā€™s the sameā€¦ :okej:

3 Likes

You are too kind to try and ease my suffering.

1 Like

Someone start working on the black faceplate

1 Like

Am definitely surprised that at the very least they didnā€™t up the ram to 128mb. Even though 64mb is enough to do a lot.

1 Like

Ok, if theyā€™re going to do MKII for the RYTM; hopefully, they will improve the pressure sensitive pads, the audio input, and add high resolution editing of sample starting points.

While Elektron seem to have a tradition of limiting feature overlap between devices, they also seem to have a tradition of not obsoleting their devices in a MKI -> MKII update. Even if their devices are ā€˜upgradedā€™, I trust that they wonā€™t alienate their existing user base at the expense of the new devices. I suspect theyā€™re just bringing all their equipment up to their new design and hardware standards before moving on, and of course will add a couple nice things here and there that extend the functionality of the existing architecture without complete rewrites.

Iā€™m a little bummed cause I just grabbed a used OT, but then I really wouldnā€™t have shelled out for a new one. If they update the Rytm Iā€™d be more bummed since Iā€™ve had one since they came out and itā€™s still under warranty. Iā€™m mostly curious how they handle the Heat, since that was released not long ago and still adheres to their old design standard.

5 Likes