Introducing Octatrack MKII

I’m a big proponent for battery power but part of me wants to say built in batteries is always a bad thing for something like an instrument that is supposed to be used into the far flung future, it’s nice now but there is a reason many companies sick to AA battery as you can buy rechargeable and replace them once they go bad with ease. Powerbanks are probably actually a better long-term solution compared to built in batteries, even if they last five ten years of solid use some will burst destroying the device and once the time is up replacement will not be ease and sometimes not possible with out moding the device

I wonder if Hector will upgrade? :thinking:

4 Likes

I am glad the firmware is the same. I recently bought mine and still learning, so knowing that updates are coming is really nice. Eyes are back on a REV2 :slight_smile:

soo dramatic

Just going from whats visually there, it looks like 3 on deck functions for Pickup Machines.
I dont use pickup machines so I can say much.
I do like the idea of having quick access to sample slicing, & save project.
To me it looks like nice minor conveniences, but nothing I cant live without.

2 Likes

Its not scary to open the unit. I actually opened mine and re-soldered the Headphone pins (I am no expert) to fix the audio dropouts. Would be happy to replace the screen with an OLED!

1 Like

thanks!

I’d be using it to sequence SE-02 and mix SE-02 + Rytm live, with some stereo AK stems.
I hope it is more intuitive. :totes:

You don’t have that problem if you don’t save parts. :wink:

I’ve definitely thought about getting a Digitakt for sampling one shots from my modular and the rest of my gear. The Monomachine is one of my absolute favorite machines for making my own drum sounds but it would be nice to free up more tracks on it for other sounds. I may still get one over the OT, especially since I’m setting my sights on the Waldorf Quantum whenever that drops, but I’m still going to wait for the DT to mature a bit more (or get really cheap used).

1 Like

This thing looks like an Octatakt…I haven’t gotten used to it yet, looks like part of the control panel for a high tech submersible… :diddly:

1 Like

Disappointed they left the :elot: logo from the face panel.
I like the other upgrades though, the grey with the new buttons is neat.

2 Likes

That’s why I’m not upgrading, no OT logo… :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

yeah and no digitakt logo either. looks like they are moving away from the individual logo aesthetics.
Not sold, it gave the machines a techy japanese manga feel.

1 Like

Some wise and observant Elektronaut pointed out that :elot: is made up of the three shapes of buttons on the OT… Me likey…

10 Likes

What competition? I honestly fail to see a standalone device that can hold a candle to the OT, despite it’s many shortcomings.

1 Like

dtb

1 Like

I know it’s a minor issue but I do wish they had made the update have the flush mounted jacks - i never like seeing those stick out on my OT.

3 Likes

Maybe you feel that way and being an Elektron forum probably most people on here feel the same way, but reality is there is a huge market out there that thinks the MPC is a much better modern sampler.
I’m sure Elektron would love to sway those peoples mindset looking at spending all their money on a new MPC.
Personally I’m not interested in either product, don’t have a preference and just enjoying the show.

^ i LOVE the mpc live, i’m using it on one shots though, more like a drum machine or two with extra one shot sounds built in, zero looping at all

the octatrack is a totally different beast to me, excellent at loops and large files, all those lfos to work with changing sample start points and all sorts of fun there, however i always felt it was kind of crappy for drum programming, yeah you can do it, but the mpc is so much quicker and efficient to me for that kind of work, conversely i would not want to deal with loops or large samples where i want to step through sample start points on the mpc, imho the mpc sucks for that kind of thing

different tools for different jobs imho

1 Like

must buy this asap.