Introducing Octatrack MKII

“But really, I just want everything to have an OLED screen.”

If this does happen to AR/AK/A4 then I really hope, unlike their choice on the OT II to use a smaller (?!) screen than the original, that they use the chance to make those small screens bigger!!

If it happens, it’s gotta happen with Heat as well innit…
and then Digitakt would be the oldest machine.

Preordered.

[Since the Digitakt buttons speak to me on a deep personal level and since I’ve held off on an Octatrack because I hoped some kind of upgrade or new version would come along, I’m into this like nobody’s business. I can see how Overbridge (especially multiple outs and easy DAW integration) and some new advanced features (many of which are mentioned here and throughout Elektronauts) would be wonderful–but the new hardware rocks (for me) and I’m among the very psyched.]

The other thing is whether or not they feel that the Analog machines are worth backing in for a V2. Obviously that is the case with the OT, but is the Analog Four and RYTM a long term sell for Elektron, or something to become discontinued? Still, it looks like they are definitely on the refresh train.

To me the Elektron stuff is actually different than what you get from something like a DAW… MPC just seems like a DAW with a controller but with worse UI. Good for if you want to break away from the computer but still want to work in the exact same way you were before. I do think MPC Live will be popular though I just think in more of in the way that it is tapping into the fad to make a music outside of the box. Basically for people who look at how cool people playing music without a DAW look and then want to join in with out giving up a DAW. The reason I use electribes, digitakt, keystep, is to have a different experience all together than what a DAW is.

1 Like

FWIW, CF is literally pin compatible with IDE, so in theory someone with a steady hand and no fear could desolder the CF slot and mount an internal SSD (space and power supply permitting). I’ve gone the opposite way before - replacing hard drives with CF cards - and it’s really no big deal at all, but in this case I can’t see any actual advantage.

The storage is the same from an OS/driver perspective…? I would think it’s totally different.

I’m writing this message from 11hrs ago, around post 280 something. It’s really horrible back here, I don’t know how you people have made it to 600 posts. People just keep going on and on about overbridge, the color grey, MPC’s, digitakt, missed opportunities, grey again.
Is this crap still going on in the future? The amount of clutter back here…Amazing. Is there a safe haven around here for possible future new OT owners who wanna talk Octatrack MKII, minus the noise? All this moaning…I haven’t seen something like this since…the Digitakt release.

19 Likes

nice outlook but same OS, no OB, no trig conditions, and the new display in old UI…
I’ll stick to my digitakt and mpc live.

i wish they keep the new hardware upgrade for the OT2, not MK2, then the OT2 will be way more attractive.

Yeah not disputing that at all, I am just saying a lot of new punters out their don’t have a clue of the intricate pros and cons of both machines, and as the MPC ‘was’ the new kid on the block, it has had huge media coverage lately, and at the end of the day a lot of people just want the latest shiny toy.
OT mk II is virtually the same as mk I, we know this, but it is now considered new and shiny as well

2 Likes

Don’t worry mate, I think humanity will still be here long after mk II.
As for OT2 I am not so sure :thinking:

3 Likes

Ah, I see. Thanks for that. I’m totally cool with a functional CF card if there’s no other viable difference.

Life exists outside of this thread FYI. I don’t want to have to tell anybody how to live there life, but it’s generally a good rule of thumb to not invest one’s emotional well-being into the contents of a thread in a musical gear Internet forum that someone like me primarily uses to kill time.

2 Likes

Gun metal or battleship grey is an interesting choice. Will probably grow on me. The extra buttons for slicing, sampling and looping are super appealing :loopy:

1 Like

Yeah I’m confused. Thought we were just talking about a shiny new grey box that emitted noise.
Didn’t realise it was a life coaching session :aw:

2 Likes

Analog 4 prices dropped in Australia. This signalling a refresh?

1 Like

Yeah bring it on Dr Phil, I mean Dr Mike :grinning:

1 Like

Depends on the user?

For a new user, I can see that they will be beneficial; but for an existing / power user; they are just shortcuts to existing functionality? I’m just working off the picture on the site / basing this on the livery; but I think I can do most of those functions quite quickly…

So definitely an imporvement.

PS: I would expect a new OS release, OSv1.25I to handle the shortcuts that the keys will enable…

5 Likes

I find the backlit trig keys to be more intuitive than the red lights above the trigs, but that is just personal taste, I guess.

5 Likes

DT is totally different from OT - different beasts!! :sunglasses: