Introducing Song Mode on Digitakt, Syntakt, Digitone & Digitone Keys

It splits the “keyboard” in a top and bottom row. Then you can play two octaves simultaneously instead of one, and the keys can only be played in the selected scale (max 8 notes per scale).

Try it, it’s awesome.

7 Likes

Instead of regular chromatic DIGI keyboard, with keyboard fold you have chosen scale notes only, and with 1 octave per row (Trigs 9-16 for octave 0, Trigs 1-8 for octave 1)

6 Likes

Yea - this…

Isn’t there a way to keep settings the same across patterns now?

(kits aside…)

Have you tried this?

It’s called Global FX/MIX.

Added a GLOBAL FX/MIX menu item in the SETTINGS menu. In the GLOBAL FX/MIX menu, you have the option to set the parameters on the INTERNAL MIXER, EXTERNAL MIXER, and the FX TRACK’s SYN, FILTER, AMP, DELAY, REVERB, LFO pages to be global (making any change to these parameters affect all patterns in the project and not only the active pattern).

15 Likes

Using the Song Mode as a seq itself is an interesting new possibility, would love to see it taken further if poss, e.g…

Currently in Song Edit, the trigs fire the samples (DT here) just like in non-song mode. Handy, but it could be one of two modes within Song Edit - a regular Trigger mode (as exists now, TRK button could light up yellow?) and a Pattern mode (feature wish, PTN button could light up yellow in this mode). In this Pattern mode we’d be able to add rows quickly by pressing the pattern triggers (without holding PTN first), bypassing the need to dial them in with the knob or adding them as a chain outside of Song Mode.
Also - tap the right arrow while holding the desired pattern trig so that its played length is adjusted incrementally (2, 4, 8, 16 etc) to the row on the fly. This could make song/chain creation super fast.

4 Likes

y7im8a0ikps61
I use both ! :crazy_face:

7 Likes

In which case, sure, using exiting patterns in song mode wouldn’t benefit.

However, if you built up a kit that was good for your whole set, then used the global settings, you could make things consistent across everything. You’d just need to be careful setting up the kit, and also include a few variations on some sounds that you could use in some patterns but not others in order to make it sound like more kits.

Unless I’m misunderstanding the complaint.

You must be in shock, i can’t remember a post from you with so few dots :wink:

17 Likes

Hehehe…

Personally, I’m not interested in having an Octratrack, so not having song mode on the Digi never made me want an Octatrack any more. I’d never have been a convert.

However, I did enjoy the song mode on the A4 and AR, so I also knew what I was missing.

I’d still never interchange one instrument for another though.

I’m definitely in that left image. This couldn’t have been better news!

1 Like

3 Likes

I just bought my 4th Digitakt because of this. I only program songs and kept selling to buy any of the larger machines…but then would miss the Digitakt and sell and buy and sell and buy. Now, I’m done!

Digi plus Mono Lancet plus Little Deformer plus Peak.

1 Like

I’d thought i would join as my bday is tomorrow! What a nice gift from Elektron.

2 Likes

Ditto. I make songs, with distinct sections, that need to happen in a certain order. I just prefer to do that manually. Makes everything feel more alive.

Good for elektron to give song mode for those that want it. Can we have slide trigs, and automation for PB and AT on the digis now? (More usefull…)

3 Likes

I really wish there was a cross fader on one of their synthesis devices. Being able to smoothly fade between multiple patches on a multitimbral synth like the digtone or syntakt would be so massive.

2 Likes

It’s about time. Kudos to Elektron for listening to present and potential users. Surely, all three are now under consideration to buy in the future.

That said, I wish this news was announced sooner. I recently added a Jomox Alpha Base and Modor DR-2 to the studio, and not eager for another drum machine or groovebox at the moment.

Which of the Digi Trinity is best for sequencing external synths?

all of em now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There’s always an analog keys. Or the analog 4 with an expressive touche’.

No exchangeable scenes, but the morphing feature with 4 alterable sets of parameters

1 Like

I’d say Digitakt, because it has 8 available midi tracks for 8 audio tracks.
Otherwise they seem very similar…

Ah…forgetting that Digitone can send 8 notes per track, Digitakt and Syntakt 4 notes.

9 Likes