Introducing Song Mode on Digitakt, Syntakt, Digitone & Digitone Keys

I’ve been thinking about this and since you can control Mutes via Song mode, you’d probably need to duplicate the Song structure on the other device if you want to control the Mutes on it either.

3 Likes

The manual is very brief on explaining song mode so most of these things we need to figure out in practise.

1 Like

All you miserable fuckers better start banging out some classics now you’ve got your bloody song mode.

39 Likes

I can’t stop thinking about this and wondering how this really works, what are concrete examples of this use case ?

@avantronica ?

This sounds like a fun setup. How are you using the Faderfoxes?

1 Like

I’m not @avantronica but…

The FX settings were stored per pattern, which I find useful tbh, but sometimes, you’ve created a bunch of patterns and realize for example that the external input is not loud enough or that you went a bit overboard with the reverb settings or the delay timing. If you have 8 patterns for that song, say, you’ll have to go through all the patterns and change them all one by one. (or you create new patterns and have to change the FX to be as the previous pattern if you don’t copy the pattern for some reasons)

If you set it to be global, problem solved.

Well, I think that’s why it was added.

I like to have the fx settings to be per pattern but I did wish a few times: want them global… so you can decide now which works best for you.

6 Likes

Great, lucky them. I guess us, Model’s owners, do not deserve such wonders…

1 Like

But that is just for syntakt right? I don’t think the digi’s got that feature I believe?

You have something that can p-lock and all the sequencer wonders for $300… it still is a pretty good deal.

I only have a dtk, and I can’t play these new scales but with only the crappy buttons I believe… we all have problems…
I haven’t been able to actually try any of this stuff yet. Maybe tonight if the baby will go down nice and easy!!

I’ve also got an Arturia MicroFreak and each year for the past 4 years we get great upgrades even though it only cost $300…

2 Likes

For example when you run other stereo synth into Digitone inputs…
you wont need to configure each pattern to “stereo inputs”, adding reverb…
Internal mix - perhaps when you send notes from external notes into Digitone… you may want to have volumes on same lvl for each “internal” pattern…

Looking at the conversation above about it, I checked and the FX SYN setting as it’s called in the Global FX menu applies just to the FX track’s Syn page, which just has the “Drive” setting for now.

And for other settings, there’s the mix or reverb settings , or if I want to set up a project with the delay used as a chorus, Global FX means I can set the LFO to modulate a short delay time and do it just once per project rather than every pattern.

yeah, Elektroid replaces Transfer perfectly.
highly recommended to those who uses Linux.

Syntakt OS update via Elektroid was a no-brainer.

3 Likes

Anyone tried to record long [unquantized] melodic lines over different patterns using the song mode? Maybe I could finally get rid of my old Roland MC-50.
Would save space and keep my setup even more streamlined.

3 Likes

So does song mode not output the individual tracks via Overbridge?

i didnt know if i needed song mode on DN, but after trying it out, its really nice.
very intuitive and feels like its always been there.
thank you all, elektron team, forum, for encouraging me to create music.

keyboard fold is what i was most excited for btw.
having a more comfortable note input solved a lot of setup hickups for me.

7 Likes

Thank you @blakewalt! I understand this. Now, let’s say that you want to perform 2 Songs in a row with different FX settings…

1 Like

Just done the update (DN, worked perfectly) and god, I was buzzing about song mode but the keyboard folding is a thing of beauty. :clap: We’ll done @Elektron and thanks for the continued love and effort you give to your users.

6 Likes

Like song 1 with all patterns using the same FX settings then song 2 with all patterns using other FX settings? You can only use per pattern but!

It can still be useful as you can decide exactly what is global and what is not. I would certainly put my external inputs to be global.

You could also share the same reverb settings between songs to keep them in the same space?

1 Like