iOS-iPhone DAWs & apps

So I got rid of my OT MK1 Because I was never really using it at all.
Now I’m wondering which apps &/or DAWs people here think are best and preferred.
I’ve considered DRAMBO but currently just have Audiobus 3 and AUM( neither of which I have learned to use yet but I have a limited window of time in which to decide on; at least for paid apps).
I’m not sure I’m even gonna need any other dog type stuff to use with Audiobus 3 and AUM…although I do see multiple apps for sequencing geared towards AUM as if theirs isn’t very good or maybe nonexistent I’m not sure.
My preference is do you know actual synthesis and hardware which I have an analog for and an H9 max for a fix and a TR Dash 6S for drums and I’m considering getting it’s Dreadbox Typhon or perhaps Digitech which may be redundant since they have a drum machine hence perhaps a digitonin did that’s a separate subject really.
Thanks ahead of time for any one’s suggestions if it matters I kind of prefer dreamy and psychedelic music Likes fungal or 0TT which were the bees knees when I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

1 Like

Nanoloop, Pure acid or elastic drums for jamming together with a grasshopper.
Moog synths or mitosynth with ableton link if you or your grasshopper has a daw on the phone. ( never tried, also still don’t know what usb-lightning or aux-lightning thing would be good to connect mixer or digitone)
I density for granular grasshopper sampling.
Sunvox if you have a grasshopper that wants to compose a symphony on your iphone.
I have an old iphone 3g with old ios lying around just for rebirth jamming with grasshoppers, marmots and bees.

1 Like

I’ve tried out pretty much every app on iOS and for me Drambo is by far the most productive and creative. It’s like the best bits of Elektron hardware, mixed with the best bits of (semi)modular, mixed with the best bits of iOS.

Once you get the hang of the basics it’s pretty easy to use, and it sounds fantastic. I can’t really sing it’s praises enough, I’m the most productive I’ve ever been making music with it. You can also use it to host other apps as AudioUnit plugins similar to Audiobus/AUM, so it’s not a closed world (but you don’t have to, it can do so much on its own and sounds amazing).

I guess Drambo might not be suited to some styles of music, personally I make techno/electronic which fits the step sequencer/live tweaking vibe very well, but it’s not a traditional DAW if you want to have a piano roll and arrangement etc - to be honest, I don’t think iOS shines for this kind of thing, all the full DAWs I’ve used on there feel pretty fiddly and don’t take advantage of the touch interface - IMO that kind of software is better suited to a mouse and large screen.

AUM is another awesome app and kind of kickstarted iOS music making for me and many others. It’s really just a plugin host though so you need a decent selection of plugins (both to generate/process sounds, and to generate midi notes - you’re right that it has no sequencing of its own) to get started. It’s a pretty fresh approach to music making and I would definitely recommend checking it out at some point, but to be honest I’ve barely used it since getting into Drambo.

Audiobus I don’t really use except in limited circumstances. It can be handy if you are working with older (usually) apps which are not AudioUnit compatible, but otherwise I think AUM or ApeMatrix does the same but better.

You could also check out Korg Gadget if you like that kind of thing. Includes a good selection of good sounding and nicely designed instruments, but it’s a “walled garden” (you can’t use them in other apps, or use other apps inside it) and I think the design of the rest of the app is a bit clunky. But it’s pretty fun and easy to use overall, and it’s “all in one” so you don’t need to worry about which plugins to buy etc.

6 Likes

It’s been a while but I remember being able to load Gadget as an IAA in Aum and use the Taipei midi out gadget to sequence other apps?

1 Like

Didn’t know you could do this! Cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Question:

I REALLY like Zeeon, DRC, Mood, ID700, Continua, iVCS3, Mynth, Flynth, FRMS, TAL-U-NO-LX, Model D and Shaper.

Apart from the in-app purchases, is there anywhere else to get/buy sound banks/patches from?

Thanks.

Patchstorage may have some things? https://patchstorage.com/

I’d also search forum.audiob.us for patches people have built.

Koala is just amazing

2 Likes

Would be amazing if Apple let you sample system audio like you can on a Mac. For that matter, if you could sample anything, BM3 kicks its arse!

I just don’t understand Apple’s decision on iPad system audio. It can’t be an ethical or commercial one when they let you sample anything on a Mac.

And it really fucks with my workflow on an iPad. So I want to sample I need an audio interface and connecting cables etc. That defeats the purpose of an iPad. It should all happen internally.

I just want to work and sample exclusively on and iPad. Why can’t I just sample some music from Qobuz or Apple Music or Spotify?

You can screen record and convert the video to audio with AudioShare.

1 Like

Yeah you can but it is crap quality.

1 Like

Because “DRM”?

1 Like

Uh…just sample it on your mac and airdrop it over?

Yeah I get that, but isn’t DRM a thing in Mac? Yes it is. But you can still do it in CD or 92 quality. Makes no sense.

Yep can do this, but beaks the workflow.

it will happen soon enough – so don’t ever mention it again :smiley: don’t wake up sleeping dogs.

It’s just more open … so be grateful not grumpy :slight_smile:

if you never could sample system audio, and youre looking to do this now, what workflow did you have that you’re breaking?

iOS audio production is a completely different ballgame than macOS

Sampling is a fad used by the poors to cover their lack of music ability.

Your comment raises a question:
I have an iPhone 8 and have always wondered if it would be worth buying a tiny condenser mike off AliExpress for like 3-5$.
Or do you think the iPhone has a good enough mic?

Spicey🌶