iPad + ADAT interface + Expert Sleepers

Wondering what audio interfaces people are pairing with iPads, Expert Sleepers and eurorack. I was looking at the Audiofuse but not available at the moment. The only other ‘compact’ option I can see that also has ADAT in and out is the Motu Ultralite series. I’m looking for an interface that works well with both iPad and Expert Sleepers ES-3 / ES-6 but I will also use it with a MacBook. Anyone have any experience with these or similar setups? Thanks!

MOTU :+1:t6:
Ultralite is SOLID.

you can run CV thru it too. [its bal/unbal]

1 Like

I’m using a miniDSP USB streamer to get 8 channels of ADAT in and out of my iPad to my Macbook Pro via an old MOTU 828 MkII:

iPad > CCK > USB Streamer > MOTU > MacBook

USB Streamer works well with AudioBus but I haven’t been able to get it to work directly with other apps (AUM, apeMATRIX, Beatmaker 3).

It’s pretty cool running multiple synths (TAL Juno, Zeeon etc) and FX (Eventide Blackhole, Drambo etc) in and out of the iPad. They sound superb via lightpipe with no DA/AD conversion to sully the signal.

4 Likes

The miniDSP looks like an incredible value. I think I will go with the Motu though. I will definitely make use of the midi and analog IO.

1 Like

Whatever you choose, it needs to be class compliant. If it requires drivers it won’t work with an iPad. I’ve got a Behringer UMC404HD which sounds great as it has Midas preamps. Works a treat. There are smaller and larger ones in the range that are also class compliant, the biggest is the 1820. I believe Focuseite Scarlett stuff works too as it’s also class compliant.

1 Like

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Both the Motu and Audiofuse are class compliant as well as having ADAT in and out and midi which are my requirements along with being compact. As far as I can tell, these are the only 2 devices that meet all those requirements but I’d love to be proven wrong!

1 Like

Tech nerd node: it s not bal/unbal that matters for cv, it s DC coupling, ie. whether the i/o has DC filters. That s normally a security feature but without it enables sending DC signals like CV.

1 Like

That’s what I meant :slight_smile:
Apparently only the outs are DC coupled.

One note for anyone using a Behringer audio interface with an iPad is that the volume on the side of the iPad still controls the main volume.

Much head scratching/connection checking/changing cables… Lead me to… The bloody volume on the iPad is down… :exploding_head::flushed:

Decent interface tho. I have the 404 but if I need more connections I might get the 1820 as a few users have confirmed it still recognises the ADAT connections on IOS.

Using a MOTU 828 ES with my ipad

2 Likes

Any issues with the iPad ? I am thinking of switching from Presonus 1810 to MOTU 828ES

Nope. Loving it. Had it never connected to a computer. iPad since I have it and love the routing possibilities within the mixer and using the iPad as FX unit etc.

Great thanks !

I started going down multiple rabbit holes, I was going to copy @echo_opera setup as I keep playing with the idea of starting a podcast and not needing a PC by using a zoom H6 recorder /audio interface ( which also has iOS supported loopback… I think) and dedicated HD recorder but the IPad can do that very well with addition of external storage device.
Not too worried about being mobile (especially during these times smdh)
Standalone mode is a big plus I want to have as much free space as possible (Tascam Model series but no ADAT)
This would definetly allow me to connect SP16/OT/ midi controller etc. and have expansion for extrenal micpre with digital i/o.

So:
828es( SP-16, OTMKII, Kingston Nucleum (usb hub) >iPad Pro
or
SP-16/OT MK II >Zoom H6 > USB hub (midi) > ( 6 in / 4 out) > iPad Pro

We’ll see :grinning:

I’m glad I kept my old Ultralite MK1 and it’s now a computer to eurorack link for CV from Blocks.

And Blocks takes and converts CC from Elektrons.

Great info. Thanks for sharing! I can’t get the miniDSP to slave to my MOTU. How did you do it? and if I can ask… what is CCK in your setup? TIA

CCK is the Camera Connection Kit that connects my iPad’s lightning port to USB peripherals like USB streamer. To get sync working you need to slave USBStreamer to the MOTU’s clock via ADAT. This is how I did it:

1. Make sure your USBstreamer has its sync set to ADAT (I did this by plugging the USBstreamer directly into my Mac and setting the sync to ADAT via Audio Midi Setup, before unplugging in preparation for the next steps).
  2. Plug the MOTU interface into the Mac and make sure it’s clock set to internal.
  3. Connect USBstreamer to the MOTU via light pipe cables
  4. Launch AudioBus on your iPad before you connect it to USBstreamer
  5. Plug USBstreamer into the iPad. Audiobus should then pick up all the USBstreamer channels and work as expected.
2 Likes

Fantastic! Thank you! What DAW are you using? I’m assuming that’s how you’re capturing the iPad audio?

Any DAW will work - I use Ableton and Logic and the ‘external effect’ or ‘external instrument’ plugins for routing audio to and from the iPad (e.g. to use the iPad as a combination external synth and effects unit with 8 digital ins and outs).

1 Like

Got it. But I’m still baffled. Once you plug in the Streamer to your computer to set the sync to ADAT and then unplug it, doesn’t it lose that memory by unplugging it, rendering it useless again? How do you get around this?
Thanks again!!

AFAIK the config is saved in USBStreamer’s firmware, so when it next powers up it remembers to first look for sync in its ADAT port.

1 Like