Is The Elektron Dark Trinity Still The Ultimate Goal in 2022?

And spinning plates are all the same, still a headache for some of us.

6 Likes

Yes, it’s become a running joke. It started with honest questions like “OT still worth it in 2020?” then “is buying the OT a mistake in 2021?” and then we turned it into a meme.

Like why would the ticking over from 2021 to 2022 suddenly make X absolutely worthless?

Yep, that’s why it became a joke. They don’t have a Best Before date!

But now it’s just another of the self-referential 'nauts memes. Is craig still relevant at 9:16am in June?

1 Like

I sold all My surplus machines, moog complete voyager, all foogers, Modulars, lots of Roland, korg ms series, sequencers, string synths, tons of effects. Probably 15k€ of luxury gears… i regret some things like 2 original space echo re201, ehx old ones… once i realized that with octatrack, rytm, analog Four and analog keys, All mk1, are mooooooore than enough to play everything. I recently bought a4 mk1 cause i love black boxes, than grey and sloped new ones. And still i cannot play all these 4 machines simultaneously without more than head scratch… they’re infinite machines. Expecially OT which i use 20% power. For me AR is the desert Island machine if i had to choose one.
To be back on topic. Fyes!!! Dark Trinity is for life. But i felt the need of keys as well in the rig. Still beginning the approach of a4+ak possibilities

3 Likes

Yeah the new look is a lot more informative and functional. But the MK1 look is way more compelling and aesthetic.

I use a Dark Trinity MKII as a secondary Techno setup. The AR and A4 are the main components in regards to usage. The OT is great, but highly under utilized in my hands. Overall, the trinity is a powerful setup and does not consume a lot of desk real estate.

Same thing as a multi device setup in a studio. You would want to cover all bases. If the trio does all that then yes that is one good way to do it but then again there are so many other ways to go about. For one thing there isn’t any keyboard but three powerful sequencers of the same. Does the trio cover acid and FM well?

Yes and I finally now have all three and look forward to how fun they will be together. Also have the DN and SP 404 MK2 with OP-1 so infinite options.

I’d sacrifice any 2 of my Elektron boxes for the time to play the rest of them.

6 Likes

Agreed. All three are great all-arounders for basic song creation, even with the different focus on sound generation and manipulation.

Lately I’ve been focusing on the ST as my “song starter” box. I target using the DT for more sample-specific duties, especially time-stretching, chopping and manipulation of longer samples. I try to reserve the DN for obvious FM sounds and poly/multi-timbral duties.

But I often get drawn to any one of the three first because of mood or inspiration and because they really are all flexible little groove boxes.

Regarding the OP, Elektron’s flagships seem to be a perfect storm of design, aesthetics, capability and desirability that have all had staying power in the market and as gear pieces that musicians love with a passion if they gel with Elektrons and the workflows. Modern classics even if internally the guts of something like an OT are over 10yrs old. But if you design something unique and forward-thinking up front, like I believe Elektron does, you don’t have to constantly fix what isn’t broken when you update your products.

2 Likes

Still haven’t picked up an A4 yet, got a ST, sold it, picked up a 2nd one recently, its so fast to sketch on! Loving AR its the top sampling drum machine on the market. My OT will never leave my live rig unless a newer model appears

1 Like

Is The Elektron Dark Trinity Still The Ultimate Goal in 2022?

Broadly speaking If you are willing to work with the workflow of the Trinity you can make any classic genre of electronic music (now or any date in the future). You will be limited by you, not the instruments.

I think many of us into electronic music production act like we have ADHD. Flitting from instrument to instrument, using it just long enough to tweak all the knobs, make all the sounds and start to get fluent with it. Then we sell it and move on to the next new thing. The problem is, it means we don’t keep instruments for long enough to get really good with them and make the slower continued incremental gains over time that are needed to become great, we hang around for the honeymoon period and that’s it. It’s like ditching guitar once we learn stairway to heaven to start learning chopstix on piano.

anyway…
It’s not the cheapest kit, but once you buy it you don’t need to keep buying and selling gear. It’s an electronic music production solution that will cure GAS & save you money if you stick with it.
Imagine what you would be creating if you played it for 10 years?

7 Likes

I’ve split mine to AR + OT + Virus TI2 and DN + AH + A4 for planned live setup unless I use my small modular cases with the SP 404 MK2.

I still have all my synths and revisit the ones that I have not used much and try to sample them to use with my OT or Daw. But I always return to my Elektrons as the workflow meshes well with me and creating presets and projects for recall is way easier than my other gear.

OT & A4mki at the back, ST & DN at the front.

1 Like

Again, YES! The ultimate goal, endless fun

7 Likes

The ultimate goal in 2022 is to make it to 2023 without encountering yet another Dawless techno improv jam.

6 Likes

Damn, who made your case?

1 Like

I did

3 Likes

I’ve made a few, That one was my favorite, but I miscalculated some measurements so I never got around to finishing the patch bay

1 Like

I wanted it to be finished out like this

Eventually I’ll get another A4 and an OT, and rebuild it with the patch bay for live gigs.
Takes me like 15 minutes to set up including my monitor visual array.
Really wanna add lasers tho

Got videos in action on some of my highlights on IG

https://instagram.com/body.mechanics?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=

2 Likes