Isla S2400

The buttons solo/mute are like he said, but maybe because your used to the responsive pads then press the mute and you’re not used to pressing hard, or something. So yes you have to press them top down not on a corner or swipe.

I watched the recent Brad video and it’s clear they’re working to improve things and push the machine further into modern territory (which may/may not be what people want)

I’m unlikely to ever buy or use one, but wish them good luck … they’re taking feedback on board and trying to get them made as quickly as they can to a high quality…

3 Likes

I didn’t take the Tinez video as being a comprehensive review. I took it more as “I paid for this and here’s what I think so far.” which is great. because that’s what we all want, right? honesty? it’s one of the biggest things we all complain about from these YT synth influencers…

anyway he clearly really likes some things about the machine, and others not so much. yes, Ricky is known for screwing up some details. and yes, the product is still being improved. I was just saying that the things he pointed out about workflow, semi-obtuse interface, and button responsiveness put me off. I believe this machine will improve for sure, and I’m excited to see where it goes. but I’d rather purchase when it gets to a destination I’m more stoked on, than to be with it for the ride there. if that makes sense…

2 Likes

Okay, I’ve been waiting a long time for my s2400 to ship (not a complaint-just a fact) but with the rumors about the new Roland 404 mkii coming soon I have been considering cancelling my Isla order and buying that instead. Both units do a lot of things that my Digitakt doesn’t do but I’d be saving a good bit of cash if I went with the 404. Any current Isla owners care to talk me off the ledge? Besides a few incendiary influencer videos I have heard little about people’s real world experience with it. Thanks.

1 Like

That makes two of us:). Anyone?

2 Likes

i’m not an owner, but i think the only reason I would buy a S2400 is if i’d REALLY NEED that SP1200 UX and/or crunch… if you’re not totally IN LOVE with SP1200 aesthetics and UX i’d be open for alternatives.

3 Likes

My experience:
If you want a very deep machine with a lot of bells and whistles or have the habbit to compare a modern sampler to a daw or whatever other sampler on the market you might be dissatisfied after paying about €1600 euro’s butt…. I played it for a about a week and the main reasons i would buy it instantly is:

• solid build, a nice layout, not boutique like but a decent instrument to put on the table.
  • if you’re liking and familiar with dj mixers it does have the same “feel” and experience as running 8 stereo turntables but instead be able to sequence snippets and filter/manipulate on the fly.
  • if you’re aware it’s hard work with a daw or say a digitakt to microtime triggers to achieve a more human feel in your beats you feel blessed the S2400 does that for you. It’s that tiny thingy it does that makes the difference between a really nice beat to a really nice beat on which your body just starts moving.
  • bit reduction on a daw sounds artificial, 12 bit mode on the Isla sounds crunchy. lofi sound with a high fi soothing experience for both PA and ears
  • it pairs really nice with DT/DN. You cannot get the same punch with a kickdrum out of the DT as the isla using exactly the same sample. Compared to DT/DN the elektron’s sound a bit midrangy, not bad but the Isla does fill a gap you didn’t know you had.
  • if your after that old skool hiphop sound and you used to work a lot on processing to achieve that… the Isla makes you smile by coming to senses that this is that sound
  • monitor headphones out (great for jamming)
  • multiple outs mono/stereo to use your arsenal of outboard FX
  • you can sequence the outboard fx available CC’s with the midichannels in a track
  • choke groups

Minus:

• not intuitive on some aspects
  • you can ruin a live jam accidentally touching a pad (or just adjust the pad sensitive in such cases)
  • still some bugs/quirks
6 Likes

If your a hip hop producer after the legendary dirtbox sound this a no brainer. Marlow Digs has ordered one and hes really excited. If you want ambient or edm there are cheaper alternatives.

1 Like

Can you elaborate on this. I think the workflow is pretty linear and easy to grasp.

It’s probably a personal thing, and nothing you keep stuck on if you get used to it:
It has per track grid/quantisation settings which is great but i scratch my head a few times why my notes didn’t play back after recording live on certain tracks.
It has more tracks then polyphony so you run in to choking sounds in your enthusiasm working on a pattern in more banks. Again wondering where your sounds at. You need to make a picture from what you want to achieve and set up chokegroups accordingly or re setup while switching samples on particular tracks.
You can however just use bank A 8 tracks but what’s the fun in that.
I lost some live recorded samples after or during editing by accidentally hitting the wrong button (i recall i used enter to save while i should have pushed the encoder or vice versa)

Think i need to refrase, i meant some so not on all aspects. My English has more bugs then Isla has😁

1 Like

It’s the way the OG worked. It takes some getting used to (I’m still myself adjusting to the workflow) but I’ve found it does lead to better sounding productions in the end. If your coming in from an MPC head you may struggle a bit to adapt to this.

The eight choke groups (and eight voice polyphony) exist because there are eight audio engines running.

3 Likes

Can you elaborate on this? I read more about some kind of “override” setting, is that what’s happening?

It happened while sequencing ready build tracks while moving volume faders. If you accidentally touch the pads with your palm like on a snare track and it comes in way load your live output recordiing is kinda fckd. Just a user mistake that you learn the hard way.

1 Like

This has been fixed in the latest firmware.

2 Likes

I”ll bet this one is gonna be a future classic. There allready popping up samplepacks for sale with samples processed thru Isla.

1 Like

Ooh you have a link?

Didn’t bookmark the paid ones i ran into via instagram but this is a free pack from SAM

1 Like

And this website which is a nice one for sample material in general for lofi lovers. Every week a free samplepack

1 Like

From the same site:

2 Likes