Isla S2400

But most of the old tracks used for sampling were recorded in mono :laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t actually use stereo samples hardly ever. I record most of my tracks, from samples to synths, in mono with few exceptions. That was the way. Occasionally a stereo pan is fine but it’s atypical.

What I meant is you can’t play chords with a sample loaded onto one pad, but yes, it’s stereo samples

Machinea here: I’m retiring this name and moving to Iofflight which I use across other platforms.

Anyway here are some new updates about the DSP / Analog Filter cards and the Looper.

3 Likes

Man, pretty interested to see how much the expansion cards cost and if you can have multiple cards.

I just pulled mine out again and it does truly sound incredible.

There may be 3rd party cards. However, expect everything going into this to be pretty full featured though. If the Analog card has 15 different filter types the DSP card may have the option of different choices to be installed. Brad really hasn’t gone into much detail other than we he stated in the video above. We’ll just have to see how this develops but in any case he did say the Analog card would be sold at cost to us.

yeah I guess the question is more: can I put the dsp card and analog filter card in at the same time.

And I know we don’t know much about any of this but I wonder if the DSP card would allow for LFOs and other things to get crazier with the machine. Anyways, pretty exciting. I’m not reeling at all the things these cards could provide for me. I definitely need to squeeze it into my synth rack to give it a permanent home. It really does sound incredible.

You can have both installed in the one machine. That was confirmed by Brad.

2 Likes

The new units will have the option to have them preinstalled when you buy one or you can buy them seperately and do it yourself if you already have a S2400. Latest info.
Nb. Brad is asking for help in resurfacing the front panel as an issue has arisen in paint peeling off and more and more folk are saying this now. More information is needed on how he is going to rectify this but it is an issue. It may be just limited to part of a bad batch run hopefully.

2 Likes

I’m hoping it’s a bad batch. I had this happen with my spectralis 2 and had to send it back. The paint began flaking off within a month or two with very careful use, so far more pronounced but the point is I’ve seen it before.

Both the Analog and DSP cards will be self installs. There is a video a while back showing where the extra card would go.

But really you could get one or both or neither and still have a banging machine. I do plan on both.

1 Like

I am really close to ordering one of these before the the price goes up on the 30th, I have tried to find out as much as I can but it seems like it’s a bit mixed, in terms of people loving it and people feeling a bit cold towards it, but ultimately It seems like it has a good sound, can anyone who has one quickly tell me how it is to use and what’s the feel of it does it feel like a premium instrument, I have to make up my mind as I don’t think I will buy it at the increased price as I am in the uk and with the exchange rate it is already a big purchase.

1 Like

I’d get it at the reduced price. It feels really solid physically and is very easy to use. For the first few months i didn’t crack the manual really, just intuitively recorded my samples into it and played with the surface-level topology to my hearts content. Incredible sounding machine. If you don’t get into the menu features, it is really dead simple. People who are used to SP1200 tend to dislike it because it has a different sound in some respects, and it can go way deeper, which they find distracting.

The mute buttons don’t press/unpress easily, the pad sensitivity in dynamic pad mode is wonky and leads to double triggering (I use fixed velocity to solve this), and at least one batch of units didn’t have the decals properly sealed on so there was some paint chipping.

Frankly, I think it has had about as many issues as Rytm MKII has had, most of which have been ironed out there, and I think are being ironed out on the ISLA.

1 Like

Im from the UK and i had one. I paid $950 dollars for it with the much better exchange rate. There is no way i would pay the asking price now even with the discount. Maybe with the case thrown in but Rob told me the offer for the free case has gone weeks ago. So good luck Isla team on getting buyers for that price with import fees on top.

Thanks for the reply, how do the faders feel, I did hear about the pads thing but I am sure I can get over that and the paint and decal thing should not be a problem on the next batch, I think I might have to do it, but I will probably what until the last minute, I guess I will just have to do a bit more research :+1:t4:

1 Like

What made you get rid of it?

Encoder. Pads. Bloated firmware. Occasional crashes. But it did sound great.

I have ordered a Rossum SP1200 and yes workflow is an issue.

See this is what worries me paying all that cash without really trying it and it being an expensive pain the bum to send back or move on, did you get what you paid for it back if you don’t mind me asking, my alternative I’m looking at is an sp404 mk2 I no it’s completely different but I am looking for a beat sampler type of thing something simple to just jam with.

No thats fine. I sold it for £1400 with the case but thats when they sold out so the market was high. Now nobody has the capital its not going to fetch that.

My advice get the SP 404 MK2 as a lot of the territory is the same.

I don’t no I might pass :neutral_face: it’s really hard to buy gear that has a mixed review and you can’t try it, do you no what I mean, I did look at that Rossum sp1200 it looks cool but the price is not for the faint hearted, lol

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking I can pick one up second hand as well so it’s all good.

1 Like

There was a few of us in the Isla forum who switched.

1 Like