Isla S2400

:sweat_smile: Haha, yup. I tell ya, give it shot sometime just to see. But, don’t sync it with your DAW’s midi. At least for me, trying to have Ableton to clock it and start at record the same time caused some jittery issues. Of course I have had that issue with Ableton before. And I often like to treat my DAW’s like a more like multi-track recorder so it is not a huge issue for me.

It’s my newest acquisition—I’ve only had a it a couple weeks so by default it’s getting all my attention while I learn it, so time will tell. So far it’s easier to approach than the Octatrack, but they’re intended for very different purposes. Muscle memory is coming pretty fast for it as I understand the “s2400 way” (which is not complicated, just different than I’m used to)

2 Likes

At this point in time, yes. I am enjoying a somewhat minimal setup at the moment: S2400, a synth or two, and a DAW. For now it is capable and fun, but I could see adding an Elektron box or another sequencer, just to add some sequencing tricks.

4 Likes

It’s my main machine for any straight up high+deliberately low quality sampling and basic manipulations, including extreme pitching and the classic ring sound. Now that it has a very convenient round robin slice+pitch+level feature with randomization, im also getting a lot of strange generative non-repetitive patterns that couldnt happen before.

I use rytm and ot for effects, the more extreme mangling, the joys of p locking, sliding, and the familiar workflow.

I’ve owned sp-303 and sp404 and liked the effects but overall they were too simple for my tastes.

S2400 can play long samples, and you can quickly access 256 slices for playing, so it is great for live performances too.

1 Like

Just got my S2400 in from perfect circuit, and I’ll echo what others have already said here. Super impressed with the sound and build quality. My sampler experience is pretty limited to the DT/OT, so it’s a bit of a workflow change but looks like it will bring a lot to the table and was worth the price of entry.

Unfortunately I’ll be waiting until tomorrow to really dive in. Forgot to get a SD card with it :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Can you let us know if your mute/solo buttons are properly responsive? My unit and many earlier ones take a really firm press to activate them, so it’s tough to perform with them. I’m hoping they fixed future units or i can get some kind of thicker underlay sheet to make them more sensitive, a similar diy fix to the Analog Rytm MK2 pads controversy solution

Looks like the mute/solo buttons all respond normally. I’d say it takes the same amount of pressure that it does to trigger keys on the elektron boxes.

I did see that issue mentioned in a couple YouTube reviews, definitely a bummer! I’ll post here if I find any other issues once I’ve had some time with it.

1 Like

mine are fine. i do wish they were a little further away from the pads (or below) because sometimes I’ll tap a pad while pressing mute or solo

1 Like

It’s possible they were improved slightly, but it still isn’t a great design. I get the occasional misfire from not pressing hard enough. Doesn’t happen too often, and certainly not the end of the world, just an observation. They definitely should have used clicky buttons here, and not had them so close to the big pads.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the device, but it sounds like they’re using membrane type switches for some buttons? That is a shame if so as proper ‘mechanical’ switches like what Elektron and some other manufacturers use are just much nicer and more reliable.

1 Like

Yeah, the only buttons it affects are the small mute/solo buttons. They have a little play to them as well which doesn’t help. All the other pads and buttons are fine though.

1 Like

I’m wondering if there’s a diy fix where you just reseat them or add a layer over the switches

And yeah, I think the clicking buttons on the machine are luxurious. I don’t mind the rubber membrane mute/solos but I would like them to work at least as well as a behringers

1 Like

A good tip, which I am sure some of you already know, is that If you press shit+mute or shift+solo on one track, it un-mutes or un-solos every track at once. Obviously doesn’t fix the buttons, but if you are bringing back a lot of tracks at once it is pretty helpful.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

One more tip is that with the new round-robin feature, you can fake probability per track. Let’s say you have a track with a snare on it that you have recorded or sequenced some steps into. Set round robin to random for that track. Then go into multi mode slice, and if you set 2 of the slices to play the entire sample, and 6 of them to play a little slice of silence at the end of that sample, then you would get around 25% probability. If you want 50%, then make 4 of the slices play the entire sample, and 4 of them silence, and so on for different ratios. And in this instance, I would have the “trigger by” set to “main” under round robin.

5 Likes

How do you get 256 slices?? I’ve always been under the impression that any sample can only be cut into 8 slices.

I think that’s referring to the total amount of slices. 8 sliced a sample, 8 samples a group, 4 groups… 256 slices.

1 Like

I’m sorry if this has been answered already but does the usb multitrack out work for iOS?
I know it’s class compliant and it’s been mentioned about hooking up to a phone to record or sample but has anyone actually used an iPad to record multiple tracks?
I’m thinking to cash in all my chips and just go iPad s2400 :face_with_monocle:
Once I’ve compiled it all I’ll record from analogue outputs for the grease.
I mean this thing sounds ridiculously good so can only imagine how punchy and crispy it is for real :open_mouth:

I believe so. I’ve only done the main outs, but all the outputs show up in AUM/Drambo. I can give it a try later today.

1 Like

If they show up in AUM that’s all I need to know!
Thank you so very much! :slightly_smiling_face: