Jamuary 2020 - any plans?

I think this is a bit of a master class. I’m a bit jealous.

1 Like

Very good job of faking the sound of a Bass Station II. You make very good use of reverb to where I am nodding my head to the swells without thinking.

1 Like

Just under the wire.

All machine drum. Using the FM cowbell as the synth source, fed back into input A, and then routed into a Strymon timeline.

… and I forgot to kill the phone audio track on render. sigh.

1 Like

Thank you very much for taking the time to watch it/listen to it and for your kind words! :pray:

1 Like

There’s a lot of elements in your track that make it sound like a live recording :+1:

Nice ‘n’ chilled, @slicetwo

1 Like

Diggin’ it!
You had me from the first synth line thingymajig.
Very interesting drums. It’s lovely to hear a change from the usual.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a raw live multitrack recording, only the drums are looped but also played live on a BSP.

The plan is to develop my jamuary jams into a few ‘finished’ tracks in february for ‘album month’. This proces I would like to continue through the year.

1 Like

I got vermona perfourmer (i dig it totally btw) couple of days ago and decided to do quick and raw jam with POV camera.

I also fucked it up in the end by enabling wrong channel.

2 Likes

This is an homage to Vangelis, and his magnific score for the Blade Runner film. This was a total impact when we saw the film as kids, and his music has been in our minds everytime all this years.

Toy xylophone recorded with the Deluge built-in mic. Recorded directly to the SD card.

6 Likes

Thanks for your nice comment and for sharing your jam!

1 Like

So I realized last night, while frantically finishing 04 (the render took it past midnight, which was slightly more disappointing than I thought it was going to be) that I need a plan for how I am going to do this in a reasonable time on top of a full work/family day. I was able to get the biggest unknown part (the video editing/recording/sync) down to about 20 minutes. which was actually my biggest worry going into this.

However the composition side of things has been a bit more of a heavy time sink.

So far, besides for day one, which was just me recording what progress I had on a song I had been developing for about a month, every day has been me striping down to a single machine and exploring some specific technique on that. And then noodle and tweak for hours. This doesn’t seem sustainable after a full work day.

So I think, my plan for this week will be to build on an existing set up during the weekdays. So today I’ll start by creating a voice on the modular, and get some routing going through one of the elektron machines. And each day of the week, spend no more than an hour or 2 building off of that patch and central routing set up.

I have to say though, just the discipline of doing this for 4 days has been incredibly eye opening, and hugely rewarding. Will see if I can figure it out for the rest of the month.

5 Likes

Good approach. I’m trying to keep it super simple, spend 30 mins noodling with a simple melody or chord progression and hope I get a minute or two of reasonable sounding stuff. I’m happy to use presets and simple patterns.

Saying that, I spent about an hour not doing this and instead recording myself attempting to sing the Witcher song, so I made nothing usable yesterday and failed to put anything up :slight_smile:

4 Likes

But you sang the Witcher song. Into a microphone. Outloud.

Mark that off the bucket list.

[full disclosure, I spent a good two hours this morning winding christmas tree lights around my camera boom, and it doesn’t even look good]

4 Likes

You guys are funny!

I spent last night playing the same keys over and over again from my jam the previous day. Even if I did record it, it was yesterday’s jam lol

2 Likes

This is number 5 and it’s completely different from my earlier ones. Lead/bass line (whatever you wanna call it) is from Mutable Instruments Edges, resampled thru the OT. Some OB-6 laid beneath. Like I say in the song description, I forgot to press rec on the four on the floor kick from MD, but I’m sure we can all pretend it’s there. :smiley:

3 Likes

Day 5

:warning: random af

First time back with my DFAMs. Random Noises. Going to sample this stuff for sure.

Twisting knobs. Hoping that I can get some good samples out of this?

2 mono thru tracks on OT and a single drum loop. DFAMs are doing weird noises :stuck_out_tongue:

Lot of sound for just 3 tracks…

3 Likes

It’s hard to make a new song every day…let me tell ya!

Thankfully the spirit of this is that it’s ok to experiment even if it’s poopy. So I just hit upload and move on haha

2 Likes

The fact that you’re forcing yourself to make new songs in such rapid succession, will sharpen your skills. Next year you’ll be cranking out 2 a day

3 Likes

I just plan to learn piano properly once and for all within this year. I am working on contrary motion in the major scales. Next I will practice going up the octaves, minor and then modes.

3 Likes