Just got kicked off reverb

Fair enough. Tone: sincere.

The thing is, is it fair? Maybe for regular users like me. But if traditional ‘brick-n-mortar’ shops have special privileges and are able to sell off-site without penalty then maybe the thing to do is open up a brick-n-mortar shop? I wonder what it takes to do so.

The synth shops in my area are largely by appointment only with very limited operating hours. If I made actual income selling things I’d consider renting office space somewhere. Doesn’t even have to have walk through traffic. Do the bulk of the business online and make Reverb do the heavy lifting.

This.

I think the answer to this is scalability.

Everything you’re saying makes sense — they should totally keep you on the platform if you have a longstanding/ongoing good record with just a few offsite transactions; they’re literally losing money by kicking you off — but getting to that conclusion requires actually taking a look at your case and evaluating it with human judgment. And that just takes time = costs more = won’t work at the scale that Reverb wants to operate.

There’s definitely space for a smaller, more thoughtful competitor to Reverb — maybe one that’s focused on electronic music gear. Maybe it could be a double-sided marketplace (give people a place to post what they’re looking for / want to buy), maybe there’d be some integration to link up with repair services to help with buying/selling vintage gear, and maybe there’d be more wiggle room for price negotiation (trades?) or even taking things offsite.

Anyway, that’s an extended ramble to say — I think the inhuman crappiness of a lot of big platforms is the fact that it has to work at scale, and there’s often more interesting opportunities to be found in smaller, more focused/niche versions of the idea.

1 Like

I sold an tascam 424 mk3 without power supply. (noted in the auction) The buyer claimed it didn’t work, i had to pay for return shipping. WHen i got it back and bought a power supply, it worked no problems, sold it to music go round, no problems. F Reverb IMO…

1 Like

Just found this monstrosity on Reverb by a reputable Dutch seller.

How does that site even allow such horrors?
Looks like a Behryntakt

2 Likes

8 parameters for Swing, same for Mute and Slide though… surely a limited edition early prototype!

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I doubt it’s a special privilege.

You could have your items for sale here, on eBay and Craigslist. Reverb would have no way of knowing where you sold your items once you’d delisted them, if you don’t use their messaging to broker the deal. But if you used their platform to discuss the sale, and exchanged off-platform contact info, it seems fair they assume you’re cheating them of their fees. If you do it more than once, they seem justified, to me, in kicking you off.

2 Likes

Holy crap. This is my mock-up that I made for fun in a speculative thread about Syntakt (when it wasn’t yet known what it was). I didn’t know it was so popular. :wink:

Basically it’s a Machinedrum screen pasted into Digitakt.

4 Likes

I don’t know where else to post this but this is insane!!

That seems pretty poorly written. Banks and bitcoin exchanges can choose to no longer do business with you if you violate their terms of service.

That problem is not unique to Reverb.

Its a very small fine for something that could warrant a prison sentence. Hate crime is on the increase and can destroy peoples lives.

PayPal retreated after the backlash:

But still can take the money for hate crime and other things it says. Theyve just retracted the new additions of some groups of people.

1 Like

All merchant accounts (credit cards like Mastercard, AmEx, etc or other payment processing services ) can come with fines for certain violations of TOS.

I just received a suspension from my account on reverb as they reckon I took away a transaction as the same item was listed elsewhere and they accused me to have convinced the seller to sort out outside reverb… I only wrote the guy about seen the same item elsewere with same photos and shit to make sure it was a legit listing ( yes because I previously found a ‘copycat’ of a listing made by 2 dfferent people… ) Never again REVERB F#.ff

1 Like

So you mean they can retreive your paypal private transactions? ( outside reverb I mean )

They would not have access to unrelated Paypal transactions as a part of this, at least from what was stated.

In order to facilitate transactions through our Services, we may share your information with our third party partners, such as our shipping and payment partners, to enable us to complete your order. Such partners will process your personal information in accordance with their own privacy policies. In some instances, these partners, not Reverb, are responsible for the protection of personal information under their control. By making a sale or a purchase on Reverb, you are directing us to share your information in this way. This is an important part of the Services, and is necessary for us to perform our obligations under the Terms of Use.

Reverb does not sell your data or transfer it to third-parties except as disclosed in this Policy or as necessary for the functioning of the Services, without your permission.

Oof, that sucks. Thanks for the warning, I’ll be careful if I ever warn anyone about image stealing.

I’d try faxing details to their legal department with a plea and clarification/apology if you’re not too put out by the endeavor.

1 Like

Thanks for your support but I already started my depating from the platform, asking a better contact to the seller to get videos of the machine at work to make sure it actually work as intended ( 600 euro worth second hand A4 ) is a good practice that often asked to myself even with a date taken off my PC at the time of recording it. I’m fine with it but this is considered by the big eye from Reverb to be a breach of their terms and condition. a laugh… is not up to the buyer to close a trade within the platform but I felt like stealing from someone and I’m professional enough ( i am ) to conduct trades in security and without going off the rail. If they do not want people to trade outside the platform just DISABLE the private messaging… job done. Sharing information for commercial practice is something but sneaking in peoples messaging is somethng else no matter who here says that is a good practice or REVERB right to do, just like they hold your money when you pass a 1000 E like if all those going over that little sum are laundering money. Is my opinion sure but is enough for me to cut them off my sight.

1 Like