Koala Sampler App

Yeah, there are a few things that can be powered by the iOS device alone but not many. Sometimes you can get around this with the powered CCK so you can plug a power cable in at the same time as USB devices. I do this with a pretty hefty battery pack and it does the job nicely whilst keeping things portable. Also something like the Zoom U- series can be battery powered or powered through USB power banks which could be an option for you

Thanks a lot for the tips! I had the same problem, now when I turn all apps off except Koala, it’s perfect :wink:

1 Like

Not sure if people knew Koala could do this so made a very quick, short video to demonstrate:

13 Likes

thats pretty rad.

1 Like

Yeah, man - and obviously if you put it into AUM and get external effects involved, the possibilities are genuinely pretty much endless

1 Like

Is there a way to get the file name out of a sample loaded in koala sampler?
I’m trying to make sense of a project from the summer and I can’t remember if the melody is mine or something sampled from elsewhere.
It’s good, which has me suspicious about it actually being mine…. I figure if I could get the file name, it would likely clear up the mystery super quick.

2 Likes

New to the Elektron tribe, have had a Syntakt for about a month and looking for a way to include some sampling. While the DT would be perfect, I’m still figuring out the ST and workflow. So looking for a simple option to work with some samples. I stumbled upon Koala and thought about putting on my Android tablet. Was wondering if anyone else is using in combination with their ST, and if so, how do you have it rigged up?
Thanks,
Hawk

I don’t own a Syntakt, but I’ve used Koala with my Digitakt and my Circuit Rhythm. I went through and mapped the MIDI so that I can control it externally. I just trigger samples instead of trying to run the sequencers together. If your phone or tablet is anything like mine you’ll experience a little latency. It’s nothing major but you may need to nudge some notes around to get things sounding the way you want them to.

In any case, Koala is the one piece of music tech that I would recommend to anyone. Even if you don’t wind up using it with your Syntakt it’s a perfect sketch pad for figuring out what you want to do with samples. I’m not one of those people that can put together whole tracks in Koala but I’ve heard it done. And you just can’t argue with the price.

7 Likes

There’s a good video on YouTube of someone MIDI mapping their Digitakt to Koala, assume it would be similar for Syntakt. Looks like it works well.

5 Likes

Excellent, thanks!

A new update has been flagged in the AudioBus forums.

2 Likes

eq is really cool
Still one of my favorite apps

2 Likes

Only just downloaded this and bought the upgrade.
How do I access the stems thing?
I see a video about holding “ok” in the settings menu but nothing is happening.

On the edit samples page, choose a pad, then press the edit button, tools, split stems.

2 Likes

Much appreciated for the help, mate I got it now :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nnooob question:
On the sample page, bottom right is a tab called samples, in there is a folder called BASICS.

How do I load these sounds to a pad? cant seem to drag and drop, using import audio doesnt see that folder.
Thanks.

Edit- figured it out, you need to have the top middle icon to Import, then select the file you want, hit load at the bottom.

Put your finger on the icon (left), drag to a pad.

Anyone using the QuNexus? I can’t get more than the first 4 keys to trigger sample pads. Should I just map each key to each pad or we’ll that screw up the piano roll function?

Sounds like using the octave buttons to shift one octave down will get more of the pads responding?

1 Like

Tried it. What is happening is that the E key is triggering the 29th sample pad, the F key the 30th sample pad, and so on. Both of those pads are on page 2 od the pad list. Weird problem that I can only assume has something to do midi cc’s.
Thank you for the suggestion though.

I did notice that manually mapping fixes, but I have to believe their is something else going on.

1 Like