Korg Arp 2600M

Nice! The Grandmother looks like a perfect companion for the 2600M. They match up nicely size wise.

2 Likes

itā€™s like the baby version of this:

:rofl:

9 Likes

How is the Matriarch and Arp 2600 combo? Can imagine its neat. My Matriarch is looking for a new friend and the 2600 is really good looking :grinning:

Semi-modular dream-team. Canā€™t wait until the 2600M is available so I can try out the Matriarch / S1 / 2600 combo.

2 Likes

Wow ! Baby version indeed hahaha.

1 Like

itā€™s basically as good as you can imagine :upside_down_face:

the three together are excellent because thereā€™s very to little to ask for in the way of mono-synth needs. which is what I view semi-modulars as: a mono-synth where you can do almost any modulation you want, versus a modular where the signal flow is much more open-ended. but these three are great together because they each are designed with a bit of a different purpose in mind from one another. so combining them really opens that up. and at the very least, combining them will almost always provide that ā€œjust one moreā€ Iā€™m frequently after when patching a semi-modular. e.g. just one more mixer, attenuator, LFO, VCA, etcā€¦

unless they reissue the FS version, youā€™re better off searching for the 2600m than the 2600 FS. itā€™s going for as much as the vintage ones these days. insanity!

Has this ben released yet? Theres no stock anywhere.

i saw some a few weeks ago but they didnā€™t stick around. i think they are knocking them out in batches. the urge to just say ā€œfuck itā€ and get the behringer is strong but i know i wonā€™t be happy until i have the more expensive, less well specced OG

1 Like

my review:

3 Likes

@sabana and @swanage_fan my understanding is that you need to get on a pre-order list. but some (most?) retailers donā€™t have an official price or ETA yet, so thatā€™s why weā€™re not seeing many purchase pages for it through them. if youā€™re interested in one, I would contact a retailer and get on their list; preferably one that doesnā€™t charge your card until you confirm that youā€™re OK with the price and they ship it. that way you can back out if you decide itā€™s too pricey or finances/needs change between now and when itā€™s available.

I donā€™t know the B one super well, but I think the main thing youā€™re missing versus the 2600m is the dedicated LFO. which is what the later ARP 3620 keyboard offered over the original 3604. B just added that to the synth. so, yes, in a way it is closer to the original/earlier 2600ā€™s; and less well-specced than the B. but I donā€™t think that should make/break the synth for anyone (as it didnā€™t for many for 50-ish years now). and if you have eurorack, you should have some LFOā€™s around anyway. also remember the 2600m has a real spring inside, versus the cheaper/standard B variant.

2 Likes

Andertons have 36 on order by no eta yet. Ive put a deposit down yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

tbf, It has oscillator sync on osc1 and 2, and osc3 is also full beans as per 2 (so 2 extra outs and a few more mod options) - plus things like variable envelope response are quite useful, fast, normal, slow

Its size is possibly a plus (possibly minus, although itā€™s not cramped for me), but itā€™s a very different package and clearly not as desirable as the lab-ready Korgs. The sound is top drawer, so if the Korg is peachier then it can only be even more of a treat. But itā€™s also circa 1/3 the price with a spring tank and that has an extra mod sources for the filter and very useful (mono)LEDs and portamento

More isnā€™t always better of course, but mostly you can take it or leave it - dialling in a square on Osc1 takes a bit of adjusting

Not selling the behringer, just illustrating there are a few differences, Behringer may be a red line for some and it doesnā€™t offer the same raw appeal.

If money and space were no object then i think most would want a FS or M, despite (or even because) of the slightly reduced on-paper spec. The reverb tank probably plays out better on the Korg and inspiration at the lab-workstation is going to be different.

Theyā€™re probably for different buyers, iā€™m happy (as it was the only option and it sounds phenomenal) but still very envious of those who pick up any of the others in that form factor and retro vibe. Itā€™s an incredible instrument and thatā€™s down to the ARP folks, itā€™s so flexible

The 2600m looks very nice, canā€™t imagine there being any ownership regrets (osc sync might be the only refinement iā€™d miss if upgrading). Not a fan of those faux nuts that are on the Ms-20 mini, thankfully it sounds incredible too.

Iā€™d pair the 2600M up with an SQ-64 btw rather than the microkey - having usb host is a very nice thing on the 2600m too of course along with the case etc

3 Likes

ah, thatā€™s right! I forgot they added some of the more popular mods as well. my 2600 is CMS modded with these and Iā€™ve owned it so long, I sometimes forget that the originals didnā€™t have them. thanks for clarifying!

2 Likes

here is a performance with the arp 2600m + quantum (controlled by octatrack), eurorack, hydrasynth, digitone, and analog rytm

6 Likes

Some acid from the 2600 M right here:

4 Likes

a user over at MW posted these. he pried the plastic nut up with a fingernail. there are two ā€œteethā€ on jack and nut, to snap into one-another.

3 Likes

And the jack is not threaded so you couldnā€™t attach a metal nut to modify this. You would need to change the jack, and solder in a compatible threaded jack.

This clears up the ā€œplastic nutā€ discussion. It is mostly decorative, rather than a mechanically functional part.

1 Like

yeah this person said it appears to be purely cosmetic, and not structural/functional at all.

Iā€™ve never been too stressed about it. I figure if Korg is comfortable shipping it that way, they believe itā€™s going to be fine. and they include a flight case, so they want you to gig with it. I do get people being irked over the principle of paying so much and getting plastic nuts though.

Finally!

The whole thing was nuts, as we know.

2 Likes

This clears up the ā€œplastic nutā€ discussion. It is mostly decorative, rather than a mechanically functional part.
[/quote]

Thatā€™s what she said

1 Like