Korg Arp 2600M

ok!

Or maybe, the nuts are the same on both, but because the case of one is far smaller the nuts look bigger in comparison?
They’ve even had to lose one of the ‘Multiple’ connections and move the others closer together to save space.

Unless the guy demoing the M version in the video above has HUGE hands too? :open_mouth:

If you look at the pictures above in this thread that I posted I think that you will see that it’s different nuts on picture 1 and 3. You can also look at the close up shots in the video and you will see this.

Doesn’t the M use 3.5mm jacks compared to 6.35mm jacks on the FS? Of course they’re going to look different.

edit: looks like they’re both 3.5, oops

To be specific the difference I see is that the M nuts looks like the nuts and the ring is in one piece. The edges of the nut are angled and the nut is not flush to the jack. It’s a gap between the jack and the nut. All the nuts are also perfectly aligned.

But as I have written, I hope this Is only on the M prototype and not on the end product.

Yes, both are 3.5

1 Like

Who’s there ?

Lumi Lumi — It’s fun to see they’re using two attached ROLI Lumi’s with a 2600. Good view at 10:33 in the video.

or, ya know, someone who actually has their hands on the thing:

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe he did but its obviously not if you look close enough.

Hopefully we get the real deal when its released.

Should it turn out that the nuts are in fact plastic, is anyone, who is otherwise seriously considering buying this remake, honestly going to forgo that purchase?

Just saying… :face_with_monocle:

Cheers!

I don’t think Korg could possibly use plastic on a device that costs more than the behinger clone.

Korg knows this thing needs to be solid to be an upmarket alternative.

I don’t think so, but it looks strange, plastic nuts, all aligned , and I don’t think it is a good construction to have all that plastic nuts holding cables that are constantly pushed and pulled.
Do you have some other home device or instrument with plastics nuts?

The constraints on the jacks that are only attached to the PCB with solder will mean that it will not last as long as if they use real nuts.

It’s easy to get mad at Moog for their high prices, but my experience with my Matriarch is that you get what you pay for. The 2600M is almost as expensive as Matriarch and it would be a shame if it then comes with toyish plastic nuts.

I completely understand, and you have my commiseration.

All of my instruments work for a living, so I don’t generally invest in flimsy plastic toys. My point is simply that it’s easy enough to not purchase this synth. It’s a basic synth architecture, an impractical design, and expensive for what it is. Never mind that it had its heyday nearly 50 years ago, and served mostly as a studio or teaching tool, even then. To that end, it’s likely to be a conversation piece, more than anything, or sit on a desk in a controlled environment.

Don’t get me wrong, I get the nostalgia, but if there are reservations about the build quality, don’t buy it.

Of course, it remains to be seen what Korg actually delivers.

Cheers!

1 Like

I get your concern. if you scroll up enough, I was maybe the first to bring up this issue in this very thread… I was hoping to just trust the person who has actually laid hands on the thing, versus just going off of images which we don’t know if they’re of a prototype, computer generated, etc. and someone having access to it before official release likely has access to discussing questions/concerns directly with Korg. so their word means something.

BUT then I realized - as you pointed out above - the nuts in the 2600 FS indeed aren’t perfectly aligned. and if they have the ability to do such a thing (not impossible; my Vermona machines are like this and they’re definitely metal jacks/nuts), I’d think they’d do it in the more expensive unit. this is the FS:

so this muddies the waters a bit… now, it MAY be that they’re doing something different with the mini version’s jacks to make them perfectly aligned (outside of plastic nuts). and that they chose to do such a thing to save on cost, or because the components were more readily available, or it’s easier/faster to assemble, etc. and that they chose not to do such a thing in the FS version because it would make it less authentic of a reissue. for example, the Vermona stuff gets away with it I think because they use rubber washers underneath the nuts, instead of metal ones. so you can have varying levels of “tight-ness” for each, while keeping them aligned; you couldn’t do that with metal washers. so perhaps they’ve got silver-colored rubber washers…? or the washer itself is the screw holding the jack in place, and the “nut” is just snapped on for decoration…?

obviously we’re very deep into speculation here…

The images that I posted are from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RozMJhCgTwc

I took screen shots from that video so I know where they’re from. Time will tell if they will use fake or real nuts.

1 Like

Yes, very obvious fake nuts in the video.

Look at the one on the far left.

1 Like

yeah the one on the far left with that gap… weird. so maybe the nuts just snap on instead of screwing on? if they were screwed onto the jack, there wouldn’t be that gap. but… if it’s something like this, they could still all be metal parts. and it would make assembly a lot easier/faster. is that how the MS20 mini was? what specifically was plastic on it?

3 Likes

That was fun. Glad to see more vids of this beauty out in the world.

The case is beautiful, and it’s cool that they even slip you a little midi keyboard.

It sounds wonderful as well.