Korg developing new ARP Odyssey synth

Great news indeed!

If I were to guess on price Iā€™m thinking under 2k but over 1400 USD. That is if theyā€™re not going to cut corners a la MS20 mini.

Why not the Monopoly or Trident first though :frowning:

I love Korg - Iā€™m buying every re-issue they make.

Yeah. Mono//poly for realz. One of the few old analogs I lust for.

my guess $1299ā€¦ Korg is rocking it these days. Iā€™m already setting aside lunch monies for this one.

Iā€™m putting together an awesome analog setup:

Analog4 Keys
RYTM drum machine
Waldorf Pulse 2 (already own)
12U Eurorack modular (already own)

ā€¦and now, a re-issue Korg/ARP Odyssey.

Outstanding.

I would prefer a Korg Polysixā€¦

Iā€™m guessing they wonā€™t do the M/P because of the SSM chips involved.

Will it have Scatter ?
I hope :wink:

Very cool news.

+1 for MonoPoly remake, or someone harden up and re-release the Matrix-12/Xpander :astonished:

-1 for a Mono/Poly remake, I have one :slight_smile:

I`m perfectly fine with the Oddy, my favourite synth I never had.

Good times for synth lovers

Iā€™m guessing mini key (ms20 mini sized) in the $600 range.

I wonder which version of the Odyssey they are going to recreateā€¦ the one with the Moog style filter or the earlier oneā€¦ might be interesting if they include Both!

Letā€™s hope they install a proper pitch bend wheelā€¦

https://www.facebook.com/KORGusa

Yes!

Actually, all 3. I mentioned this on a couple of other forums, but forgot to post it here until nowā€¦ Retailers got an official email from Korg the other day with the game plan on the Korg ARP Odyssey (at least the game plan for the U.S.) Details are as follows:

1. There will be 3 different colors allocated to the particular stores. The first release being the Black and Orange Mk III color to be released to independent shops, then the Black and Gold Mk II which Guitar Center and itā€™s affiliates (MusiciansFriend.com) will get, and then finally the Whitefaced Mk I model going to Sweetwater.

2. All 3 models will actually have a 3 way switch to choose between the 3 different filter types that were available, so the Original ARP 12db, the Moog 24db and the later ARP 24db, all selectable.

3. There will be a new Drive switch.

4. CV and MIDI (though not sure if thatā€™s In, Out, or Both)

5. The keys will not be mini keys but will be ā€œNarrowā€ keys. The retailers had no clue what that meant so they said just wait until the NAMM show to see.

6. The MAP is $999 U.S., no word on Street Price, but should be a bit lower.

7. CV cables included as well as a soft case possibly.

And finally, the first shipment of black and orange Korg Odysseys should arrive at the independent stores (such as JRRshop.com , AnalogueHaven.com , et al) within 30 days after NAMM, but this is subject to change.

And in case you havenā€™t seen it, Korg already gave one to Cory Henry of Snarky Puppy (who also was one of the ones who got the Moog Sub 37 before anyone else) which he posted on his Instagramā€¦ so they are already in production.

And finally finally, Korg will have a live streaming launch event the day before the opening of the NAMM show to introduce all of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3cH_S5--NU

The keys with all the details in the geometry look exactly like those on my MS20 Mini. Which is a good compromise I guess. Although I would have loved to see full sized version. The MS20 Mini keys are actually quite playable and you wonā€™t have velocity or aftertouch anyway.

You must have a special custom edition of the MS-20 Mini.

I have one too and the keys on mine are noticeably shorter than the ones on Corey Henryā€™s pre-release Odyssey.

Yes, I have the smartypants MS-20 Mini edition for extra special needsā€¦ derp. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously, you might be right, though two things speak against this:

1. To keep prices low it would make a lot more sense for Korg to use both keybeds in both products.

2. although the original MS-20 did indeed have shorter keys, thus the same proportions are being reproduced in the MS-20 Miniā€™s keybed, the angle at which they are being photographed, as well as the perception when you look at it from the front can be a bit misleading.

A quick mockupā€¦ I had to (proportionally) distort the MS-20 pic as a whole a bit to match the angle of the Arp, so this doesnā€™t proof anything except, that the keybedā€™s proportions are the same.

Also the 45Ā° cut on the white keys can be seen in both models, so at least I expect the Arpā€™s keys to be the same width as the MS20.

Last not least, the final proof:

q.e.d.