Korg Drumlogue

You know nothing I say is serious, don’t you.

2 Likes

After all these years you’re now just telling me?

2 Likes

To be fair, I wasn’t telling you.

Keep your nose out

2 Likes

Different tastes with the right knowledge it is definetlly something to take into account.

Can anyone give me the link for the user manual?. There doesnt seem to be one.

How embarrassing. How I, and Korgs snare, feel deep inside our feels zone…

3 Likes

After the kicking they’ve had on here and the rest of the internet, I’m sure there’s going to be a few sad clowns back at Korg HQ.

2 Likes

Im not a fan of leds per se. Can the light left to right on the steps be reduced to barely noticeable? I feel like im constantly reading a book 🫤

And no offense to this guy:

“Drumlogue contains new analogue circuitry from Korg engineer Junichi Ikeuchi, who’s previous projects include the ARP 2600 M, MS-20 Mini and ARP Odyssey” - musicradar

…who I’m sure is a great engineer and who designed some nice analog sounds. They just sound very niche, very “hard techno” or “EBM”. It would just get tiresome for me to use them across every track. But if that’s your thing then I think this may be your thing. At $600 I wouldn’t want analog sounds I never use and substitute with samples.

2 Likes

And so ends today’s history lesson on the OG DrumBrute. Will Korg’s Drumlogue suffer the same fate?

4 Likes

Hot take: I’m not a fan of the LXR-02 sound. I like the sound Syntakt a lot more…

2 Likes

I concur. They do on the whole sound techno or edm etc. Same with a lot of drum machines though.

Hot take: I’m not a fan of most modern drum machines sounds, especially the kicks and to a lesser degree the snares.

I prefer creating my own using synths, I find I really don’t like the envelope responses on most kicks, too unnatural sounding often.

3 Likes

still, compared to the syntakt or now ageing digitakt, specwise this offers the addition of stereo samples, 4 outs, second usb port (which might be significant if it allows the device to act as a USB bus host), plus whatever goodness comes down the line with up to 24 custom synthesizers in the Multi-Engine User section.

If some kind soul can provide a time stretch or beat slicer ( or OT on a stick) as a third party extension - then I’m in.

plus some third party knob enlargers for the tiny knobs that presently afflict the device.

I’m going to reserve judgment until I get one. They’re currently £499.99 from a shop on Reverb (+£15 postage) or £505 from BAX (with free postage) which in this day and age is pretty damn cheap. And what other hybrid analog drum and stereo sample sequencer is available these days? And with a flexible digital synth engine? And with a flexible dual fx engine?

I am concerned that the initial price of these is low partially because it is a platform for spending additional money for new algorithms for the digital synth and fx to fill the slots. They were quite pricey on the NTS-1 and Minilogue XD. Though there were great free and cheap ones too. And I guess buying amongst friends and sharing is super easy.

I do love the idea of having a ‘customised’ drum machine full of your favourite digitally downloaded synths and fx. I would like it if you could store loads of them on the device and each pattern could have its own unique setup!!

1 Like

BAX quite often has a 5% off code as well if you look around (it did until recently)
Once these things are actually in stick the price will drop pretty fast, I suspect to more like £460

There are good free SDK instruments and FX, but the high-quality ones like sinevibes cost a bit more, but they are just options (which are always nice to have) and some are really top draw…my little NTS1 sits on my eurorack as an extra fx block, and it gets used a lot…

The transients that can be added to the analogue drums make a real difference to the overall drum sound; I am sure they can add more of these as they go along as well (I think there are about 16 for the kick at the moment). Its only v1 (not even out) and Korg are good at updates, should be a fun ride.

1 Like

True. And yet there are still a few demos on YT where it sounds utterly mediocre.

And that’s that point. The Drumlogue will sound amazing in certain hands.

We just need to give these things room to breathe.

8 Likes

Just watching the OscSink vid. Looks like a fun very capable machine with a lot of IO and routing options, but the core sound is not that exciting. However, it also looks quite tweakable and will probably be a monster in the right hands. (as with anything)

well, when i saw the news about Syntakt release, my very 1st thought was: what a great EBM/industrial machine.

2 Likes

You mean by the specs on paper? That’s why I’ve bought it :wink:

(However, I did not think it wouldn’t have square waves on the analog machines … that’s still quite a bummer for me.)