Korg Drumlogue

Not sure why people are complaining about memory size. This isn’t marketed as a general purpose groovebox. The MC101/707 only has 64MB of RAM, which is ridiculously tiny compare to 1GB on a MPC One, (and only 1 minute sampling time for loops) yet nobody made a scandal out of it, the TR8S/6S are in the same ballpark, less than 64MB. This is for drum samples mainly, not to playback audio stem tracks

4 Likes

Yes. Of all the complaints about the Drumlogue, this one seems silliest to me. I don’t understand why so many people seem to want every drum machine to be a full-fledged groove box

2 Likes

It was!

I remember thinking why would we ever need more than MB worth of RAM. :joy:

You could play the best games back then with 16MB RAM and get 0 issues back then.

1 Like

Every time I complain about how dumb Volcas are for limiting the pattern memory to just a measly 16 1-bar sequences, people defend it. Roland took the lessons it learned from the TR-8 (with its unnecessary limitations) to improve things vastly with the TR-8S. Korg just kept imposing silly memory limitations with their Volcas are are now left in the dust. Typical Korg to impose these stupid types of limitations as we approach the year 2023.

It’s fine, but not sure why the reply to me (guessing mistake). I wasn’t complaining about the size of RAM this machine at all. No skin in this game… no intentions of getting this machine. :slight_smile:

EDIT: FWIW, I agree that 32MB is plenty for just drum samples and the overall intent.

Of course entire tracks can be made with very limited memory. I have done it many times, and many great artists have done it. But it gets annoying when you have to dump everything to start over every track, or every few tracks you make. Memory is cheap so it feels like Korg dropped the ball on this one.

Korg started it. The Drumlogue comes with a virtual analog synth from Sinevibes in the Multi-engine SDK slot, and they allow stereo samples on 6 of the tracks. Despite there being “Drum” in the name, this is definitley a Groovebox.

1 Like

I think (could be a hunch)that Korg Drumlogue has more memory but they limit it until more software is available. I remember that the wavestate had about a gigabyte ,then a update later, it had four gigabytes

The TR8S barely has any more memory than the Drumlogue, so your comment makes no sense. Pretty sure the TR8S has less than 64MB or RAM Available.

The Polyend tracker must have even less memory than the Drumlogue, people aren’t complaining ad nausea either.

It seems to me some people decided they don’t like the Drumlogue for whatever reason so they are going to nitpick every single little thing on that device. It’s insane. The device wasn’t out people on a different forum called it “a flop”. I’ve never seen such hatred for a device before, even Behringer’s don’t get that treatment.

It’s a drum machine, and it looks like it’s able to alter patterns live in interesting dynamic ways with step effects/motion sequences/… that’s what that device is about. this isn’t a stem track player.

1 Like

There is a big difference between limited memory per project, and limited memory for the entire machine. A lot of machines have limited memory per project. But with the Drumlogue, according to Loopop, it has 32mb of storage total for samples, projects, kits, and user synths/fx.

I am not looking for a stem player, but I am also not looking to have to dump the machine frequently, with no way of backing up. The Tracker you mentioned has has an SD card slot for storage. I think both the TR-8S and the Digitakt have 1GB internal storage, which is quite a lot compared to the 32mb of the Drumlogue.

Shit, I even wish I Drumlogue had a floppy/zip drive, at least then I could load different projects.

The TR8S uses SD cards for storage, it has less than 64MB of RAM available for samples. Sure, they could have added a SD card reader, but I’m talking about the RAM here, and the RAM is perfectly adapted to the usage of the device, when looking at the competition. Not all machines have the concept of “projects”, this is very much Elektron lexicon. What matter is the RAM and the RAM on the Drumlogue is in the competition’s ballpark. The Tracker has even less RAM and again, people didn’t go on about it like it is a show stopper despite allegedly being a sampler.

Sample reading is nice, but what really interests me is its live performance functions as a drum machine. there is plenty of "unlimited time"samplers like the SP404 on the market already.

I actually wasn’t comparing the TR-8S to the Drumlogue, I was clearly comparing the TR-8S to the TR-8 and making the point that Roland actually listens to its consumers and improves their machines so they are vastly more useable. How useable are the 16 1-bar patterns available on Korg Volcas since inception for the last decade? It’s ridiculous. Save 16 patterns and you gotta start deleting them to save new ones.

But if you want to compare the Drumlogue to the TR-8S, the Drumlogue offers 4 drum synth sounds and 1 measly multi-engine. That’s it. Everything else (6 sounds) relies on samples. The majority of sounds are samples and there’s no SD card.

All the sounds on the the TR-8S are like multi-engines with a vast array to choose from all their classic well-loved drum machines and all types of FM goodness. Samples aren’t even necessary, but it has twice as much memory as the Drumlogue so you could use the sample space for vocal samples and or loops if you want whereas the Drumlogue depends on its limited sample space to supplement its weak drum engines. The Drumlogue doesn’t even have hi-hat synthesis.

The Drumlogue depends on a computer to change samples so the limited memory is more of an issue. I rarely even use samples with my TR-8S because it’s such a complete drum machine.

I’ll actually end up getting a Drumlogue at some point just to play with it, but Korg still annoys me with their design choices; especially, their Volca range.

1 Like

I don’t have any issues with only having 32mb available in RAM, and it seems like you don’t either. But you seem content with 32mb available storage for the entire machine, and most machines I work on have much more than that, or allow you save to SD, and can recall projects. You are right that the Tracker probably does have less RAM than the Drumlogue, and that doesn’t bother me when I use it. On the Tracker it is around 133 seconds per project. And anytime I want, I can save what I am working on, start a new project, and have a fresh 133 seconds. My issues with the Drumlogue is that you have 32mb for all of your files on the machine, that is it, with no way to back it up, or save projects. I know from experience with the Volca Sample 2, which has around 8mb RAM, that I will probably be dumping the Drumlogue every 2-3 weeks.

They definitely did. Probably less so now that it has been out a couple of years.

Not all, but many machines work in projects. The Polyend Tracker & Play, Novation Circuit Rhythm/Tracks, Akai MPC’s, Toraiz SP16, SP2400, MC707/101. I do wish the Drumlogue at least had a floppy drive like the old MPC’s, so that you can load different projects/states into it.

Other drum machines have projects too. LXR-02 and the Blast Beats both have SD card slots and projects. I think it’s more common to have projects than not nowadays.

2 Likes

I’m glad to be learning so many different things about this new product in this thread

1 Like

Yep, I’ve got the Volca Sample 2 as well. So many missed opportunities with that device, like having 4 bars. I’m actually glad though that Korg went with class compliant storage for the Drumlogue as opposed to their normal habit of finicky software libraries. When installing the Sample 2 it’s MIDI entry had to be under 10 or it wouldn’t even see the device, forcing you to uninstall all of your other MIDI devices and install the Volca Sample 2 MIDI first before re-installing the rest.

Even so, I stand by my assertion that there’s no excuse for a 32MB storage limit for a device like this in 2022. If you’re going to allow class compliant storage would it kill you to at least have an SD card or USB drive input? I say all this as someone who’s a fan of Korg and owns the Wavestate, Volca Sample 2 and a Monologue. I hope they have great success with this Drumlogue, it’ll definitely scream in the right hands.

2 Likes

Are we sure it can’t just load samples etc from a usb memory stick?

This seems to be Korg’s edge, they’re the open SDK/API manufacturer of the electronic music industry. It’s the same with the Minilogue XD and its ecosystem of custom wavetables and effects. That’s something that Elektron hasn’t approached at all, despite their latest Syntakt being built around the concept of “Machines” which in theory could be built by third parties. I guess Elektron is not interested in losing control of the quality of the tight integrations between sound, UX consistency and visual appeal.

But in any case, if anyone struggles to find the ‘wow’ factor of this Drumlogue, that has to be it IMHO.

2 Likes

I would happily give up the Hi-Hat and Cymbal track on the Syntakt for a sample machine with 32mb storage.

5 Likes

Haha. When I had my first computers in the early 80’s, 16-32kb total memory was very common e.g. Acorn Electron, Acorn BBC Model B. The very first one I had was the Sinclair ZX81 and only had 1kb memory in it’s base model form!

Megabyte wasn’t even a commonly known word :grin:

So, is there any site that we can find and get an SDK/API plug-in in order to install it in the Drumlogue? Sorry for my ignorance, I love the sound and the workflow of the Drumlogue, but I don’t know what to do. If I have to pay 625 euro, I want to have at least a polyphonic track to make music.