Korg Drumlogue

Word, the complete lack of sample playback is definitely a show stopper on the Syntakt. And no, I’m not getting a Digitakt to make up for that. 32MB of RAM is largely enough for extra drum sounds. I get that people hoard gigabytes of samples these days and then complain that too much samples in the DAW is overwhelming thus they need hardware limitations or something :rofl:

On the other hand, the decision to limit samples to 4 tracks (out of 11) and only one Multi-engine track is more problematic in my book. I would have done away with the analogue parts personally and preferred mutli-engine and sample support for all tracks. Throw in an dual multi-mode analogue filter as motion sequenced effect and that’s it.

Th Drumlogue has 6 tracks for samples. If all you care about are mostly samples, wouldn’t a Roland SP-404 MKII make more sense? If you also need some sort of synth engine, wouldn’t an MPC One be more attractive? Personally, I think the Syntakt is fine without samples.

3 Likes

The SP404 MKII has a terrible sequencer.

If you also need some sort of synth engine, wouldn’t an MPC One be more attractive?

I arealdy have an MPC One. the MPC One doesn’t have an open source synth engine SDK like the multi-engine.

As for analogue drums, one cannot beat a 300€ RD-9 or RD-8, period.

There is a bit of a missed opportunity here, to develop the multi-engine ecosystem.

1 Like

That’s why I don’t think much of the Drumlogue. That open source SDK multi-engine doesn’t seem all that great to me.

1 Like

It’s not that really care for a sample machine, it’s more that I want better hats, and I don’t think that’s possible using just synth based machines.

1 Like

I’d rather they just make more hi-hat machines to choose from.

4 Likes

Hehe people are very different. I personally think using samples for hi hats kinda sucks. This is basically what makes the Drumlogue something I will not buy.

1 Like

Reading the Drumlogue threads here and on other forums be like

“Beefed up Volca drum, please”
“Nah, samples”
“Samples schmamples”
“There can be no drums without samples”
“32 MB RAM is fine for a drum machine”
“Pffft, move along, old timer”
“Constraints are good for creativity”
“Don’t cramp my style with all these limitations, man”
“Analogue is nice”
“Analogue is ass”
“The kick drum is nice”
“The kick drum is ass”
“Logue SDK is nice”
“Logue SDK is ass”
“Multiple outputs is nice”
“Multiple outputs is ass”

“Where’s my ER-1?”

I’m glad I’m not a gear developer :grin:

And I’m guessing the majority of the people chiming in (including myself) are already well covered for drums and are not in the market for a new device.

24 Likes

I just know I’ve not been grabbed by the sounds so far but I have just bought a Syntakt and that is covering my drum needs at the moment.

1 Like

:joy:

“this synopsis is nice”
“this synopsis is ass”

3 Likes

I see a lot of nice ass here :joy:

1 Like

If you want ass from Korg, there’s already the NubAss.

I suppose Korg don’t really come from an illustrious heritage of coveted drum machines. The KPR-77 arguably sounds quite a bit like ass and the DDD series always sounded a bit assinine to my ears so I guess they’re being consistent. :upside_down_face:

PS. I mostly jest.

2 Likes

Joking ass-side :clown_face:

And forgetting the feature list for a moment and just going by how this looks and sounds in demos, I feel like it’s definitely targeted at people who would use Queen of Pentacles or the Erica Techno System if they could afford eurorack. It seems intended for brooding dark techno and I feel like it will be a challenge to push it beyond that sound.

It strikes me as like a Pico Erica Techno System. Just replace the knobs with some Erica style knobs and you’re good to go.

I only have so many thoughts and opinions because I love Korg.

I just realized that this is going to be an open-ish platform, which seems pretty cool. I see this on the Korg website:

The SDK and its documentation will soon be available on GitHub

So, the SDK isn’t available yet? Does anyone know when it will become available?

Maybe it’ll be added here: https://github.com/korginc/logue-sdk ?

1 Like

SDK not available yet publicly but private beta should be available because the drumlogue come with some Sinevibe synth/effects. I suspect it is going to be in another repos of the korting GitHub account as the SDK is not compatible with the Ligue SDK that you linked. Wait and see, it seems.

The biggest mystery to me is why they have used a different but apparently very similar SDK, seems like a really strange thing to do when there is such an extensive and useful library of instruments and fx for the original logueSDK. Seems crazy

4 Likes

exactly.
the whole point of my expectations was the ability of using existing plugins.
but Drumlogue not only has just one Logue SDK track (this sucks by itself) – even worse, it appears to break compatibility.

1 Like

Much like new cinema… I don’t understand the point of most of the drum machine / groove box machine releases of the last 4 or so years. I know that might bruise some feelings and even might disrespect some peoples hard work. I wish I could develop and make something half as cool as some of the gear I hate on lol. My long awaited release will be called “still grumpy” I didn’t really like my placeholder “no song mode”

4 Likes