Korg Modwave

Looking forward to it. I think you gonna love it too :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve had my Modwave for a month now and am really enamored with it. There are def a few workflow gripes to be had, getting into the weeds with anything thatā€™s not on a front panel knob feels fiddly and not super intuitive, but I find it quick and easy to get a really good base sound going before digging into that stuff. I had been looking for something backpack friendly when I ended up getting it, and I still wish it was smaller, but thatā€™s probably mostly the digitone spoiling me for being both small and easy to work with. Overall I really love how it sounds and find myself having a great time whenever I sit down with it.

Iā€™ve had my Modwave for about 1 year now.

I edit from the front panel.

In fact I did a test to see the time differential between
front panel and editor, and I almost a magnitude faster editing from the front panel. YMMV.

I have been planning some tutorials to follow after my long stopped Blofeld tutorials.

I need to get a ceiling mount for my DSLR camera first!..stand by

4 Likes

Hoping maybe someone else has run into this and itā€™s a simple thing Iā€™m overlooking. All the presets that use the arp work just fine, but when I started trying to build a patch that uses the arp every time I turn it on it just kills the sound for the layer Iā€™m turning it on in. So far changing settings in the arp menu doesnā€™t have any effect and I donā€™t really know what else to try.

When I have a regular patch and then enable the arp button, the underlying patch does not disappear. Please check all your midi clock settings to see if this makes a difference.

3 Likes

That fixed it! It was set to external, switched to auto and it started working, thanks!

I have both and they seem very different. Modwave is probably best described as similar to hardware version Serum. Itā€™s modern, quite clean sounding and has smooth virtual analog filters. Itā€™s very hands on to program with, which I like (especially compared with VSTs). the build in distortion and fx are really pretty good.
The XT is a bit of a weird machine. The core sound is very strong and punchy and thick. The filters are digital which means they are definitely not smooth and creamy but it can go places most other machines cannot dream of. Itā€™s weirder to program but itā€™s still hands on. Great for techno.
Today I had a crazy almost random techno leads with the XT and the same melody running to a sound in the modwave behind it. They complimented each other really well.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight. I went with the XT in the end, and very happy with that decision.

1 Like

Realizing that I could save programs independently of performances has really opened up this synth for me. I didnā€™t realize I could do that at first, so I hadnā€™t been using its multitimbrality and was planning to sell it because it felt like everything I made was way too huge to actually use in my music. Now that Iā€™m focusing on making programs as independent synth tones Iā€™m really in love with the sound of this thing.

3 Likes

Looking forward to pairing my Modwave with my MiniFreak next year!

1 Like
11 Likes

Niiiiiiiiiice

2 Likes

The Modwave is a really nice sounding (and looking) software synth that is really easy to program interesting sounds onā€¦I didnā€™t think I needed another WT based synth, but this has persuaded me I probably do! I already have the Wavesynthā€¦I would say this is betterā€¦other than sample per step it has the great sequencer, fx and filters + sample and interesting WT optionsā€¦very nice and probably worth the 150 bucks (unless you can wait until next BF then it will probably be 99)

I highly recommend trying the demo.

Modwave is a nice synth.
It pairs well with my Blofelds.
With a Minifreak on the horizon for me,
it might be quite the digital pallette!

Def going to check out Modwave Native. Been hoping for this all along.

3 Likes

Anyone else getting Pigments vibes from Modwave Nativeā€™s user interface?

1 Like

Absolutely.

I love Pigments user interface. It made it very easy to understand the envelopes and LFOs assignments.

But what I do not like with Pigments:

• The uninspiring presets, which is kind of an issue considering the main purpose of the software
  • The poor refresh rate of the UI. Such a shame to have a shiny interface like that refreshing at 30fps.

Modwave Native solved both for me. Lots of cool presets to build on. Super fluid interface. And the Kaoss Physics zone is a fun way to trigger lots of happy accidents.

Spent the last few evenings on Modwave, which I never did with Pigments. (But to each his own, Pigments is very capable and has a different feature set).

2 Likes

WaveEdit for Modwave has a good selection of wavetables to be loaded from Waveedit Online.
https://waveeditonline.com/

I find it such a great tool.

Exactly the same with me- I loved Pigments user interface and feedback and its ā€˜specā€™ is amazingā€¦I just find its sounds un inspiring, no idea why, all of the ā€˜bitsā€™ are thereā€¦

I was convinced I wouldnā€™t buy Modwave as I have so many great WT synths + Wavestateā€¦but it just has a great soundā€¦big, rounded, alive and one of the best user interface I have worked with. I love it, one of my favourite soft synths now (and I have most of them!)

Now just make it fully MPE and I will be a very happy bunny.

1 Like

All this power and beauty and no MPE. Itā€™s maddening, isnā€™t it? I wouldnā€™t hold my breath though.

Iā€™ve been pestering Dan Phillips of Korg USA on Gearspace about MPE on the Wavestate and Modwave for years now. The only reply was to ask what MPE controllers I got, and no follow-up after that, not even tentative. :pensive: