Korg Modwave

Generally you won’t get much comment with most companies, except for the few companies that practice open design ( like Behringer ). That he was interested in the controller you used is a sign of interest in the subject of advanced controllers and synths in general.

Korg is one of the big three working on MIDI 2.0, which can make MPE obsolete, if and when it actually gains hold in the market.

New Korg Modwave 250 custom sounds from jexus.
Sound For Synths

5 Likes

Sweetwater says the modwave is no longer available:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/modwave--korg-modwave-wavetable-synthesizer

1 Like

I see them on Sweetwater right now for $649

There is the wave state but no mod wave. I love my mod wave. Thought about getting an opsix but never did.

Might buy an opsix from thomann.

Oh you’re right. Also see they took down the ms-20 full size! Wonder what’s happening…

I’m wondering if some of this has to do with Raspberry Pi availability. I haven’t followed that in awhile, but they were hard to come by for many months. That doesn’t explain the MS-20 though.

1 Like

Guitar Center is showing the Modwave as “Clearance” now, at $699. Looks like it’s starting to go out of production. Too bad if so.

Interesting that of the 3 Korg sibs, the Wavestate may be the last one standing—even though wave sequencing seems like the most unfamiliar synthesis approach to learn. Maybe people just use the presets?

The presets are good and deep. I haven’t done an in-depth comparison, but if you look at the two devices as ROMplers with subtractive synth characteristics, the Wavestate is a great value compared to the Jupiter Xm. The Jupiter has the vintage Roland mojo, while the Korg has wave sequencing. Roland’s marketing prowess really shines through here.

1 Like

Some people have created their own preset packs. I bought some of them. :joy:

1 Like

Not sure if I should double down and buy a second Modwave.
Can’t hurt to have a spare.
Having said that, it seems sort of EOL now.

2 Likes

It’s true, the Wavestate is a great value. I find it amazing that the Modwave, Opsix, and Wavestate were brought into existence at all, because they’re all very deep, bold instruments compared to the typical analog/VA synth, and yet all 3 are relatively affordable.

Without derailing the thread too much, I’d say the Jupiter XM is a very strange animal (I have one); it’s almost like a pro quality sound module (XLR outputs, good sound quality) shoehorned into a prosumer form factor (speakers, below-average minikeys). Roland has this weird habit of designing usable instruments and making them look like toys. I wonder if people would feel better about the price if the same engine, knobs, and audio quality were wrapped in a rackmount box.

I find the XM more pleasing to listen to than the Wavestate, when I’m in the room with both of them—but that’s personal taste, the Wavestate is a good synth.

2 Likes

On topic: The one good thing about the Modwave’s exit, if it is leaving us, is that Korg was kind enough to provide the software version. It would be a shame if such a well-conceived rompler/wavetable hybrid disappeared altogether.

2 Likes

Yes, all three siblings are refreshing and special. Of the big three synth manufacturers, Korg seem to really work at trying new and unusual things - who would have thought that someone would make a West Coast-style modular and put it in a tiny box with a speaker on it? You know, for kids! Or the Wavedrum, or any number of things. I hope they keep it up.

I had a brief period of FOMO-inspired gas over the Modwave yesterday but I got over it, but your comment did make me take another look at the XM, which appears to have been designed for me. A toylike keyboard with onboard speakers that has both sound design potential and classic Roland rompler sounds with great sound quality? If they threw in a D-Beam and priced it a little closer to a Hydrasynth Explorer, I’d be at the store right now :laughing:

3 Likes

It makes me so happy to see this expression used. And thats not hoopla!

3 Likes

Adding in the PPG and Microwave wavetables, adds some variety to the Modwave.

The engineer responsible for the Modwave says, “We are absolutely continuing with the hardware modwave. Supply-chain problems continue to be an issue, but I’m hoping (knock on wood) that things get back to normal by later this year.

Reference — see this post.

7 Likes

No filters used on either the Modwave or the Blofeld.
Although you can use the digital filters on both…you don’t have to!

damn, that “064 Pad” sounds very Waldorf M-esque. same type of gritty-but-soft character

American Musical Supply has the Modwave for $599.99 new if you call in. They ship pretty fast normally. I grabbed one last week. I had a wavestate in the past but this really gives me what I liked about that machine (big multisample library with great mangling ability) with a workflow/function set that I like better. I never got in to wavesequencing for the type of music I record and much prefer the wavetable/subtractive workflow of the modwave. It’s still got all of those samples and the dual timbral nature is pretty great.