Korg Monologue

Whatever, I don’t read sheet music, it’s the same notes

3 Likes

Just a heads-up for Mac users …

The monologue librarian is broken by Catalina.

The librarian will still work if you uninstall Korg’s own USB driver. Apple’s driver does the job fine (if a fraction slower).

Here’s a link to the Korg driver uninstaller:

Good points.

Once you step outside of equal temperament, there is no guarantee Eb and D# are the same note. A fancier way of saying is you cannot assume all microtunings have enharmonic notes. Doesn’t matter if you read sheet music or not - if you punch in the value for D# into your sequencer it might actually sound a wee bit different from the value for Eb, depending on choice of microtuning, especially the tunings that divide up the octave into a fairly large number of divisions like 31-tone equal temperament, just intonation scales that have more than 12 divisions of the octave (there’s no limit to how many ratios you can put into a just intonation scale)… and that’s not even including the microtunings that are not octave tunings.

Adam Neely tutorial on microtonic hip-hop:

4 Likes

Just picked up another one in Blue. Paid off some debts today and had a little spare cash. I was going to get a TD-3, but realised I’d be happier with another Monologue. I actually think I might collect a few more of the colours in time. I see people collecting the TD-3s but this is more my thing.

Jealous, I saw a red one for sale in San Diego this weekend and almost hit them up. I want all the colors! Nice scoop, TD-3 is cool but Monologue is so much cooler.

1 Like

My 5 year old son loves the Monologue so I’m going to sync them and have little jam sessions together. That’s my idea of home schooling.

1 Like

That’s sick dude you guys are gonna have so much fun together. Multiple acid boxes synced up is one of favorite things in the synth world, make sure you have a good delay for each, I use the carbon copy a lot with mine.

1 Like

Got a couple of TC Electronic Fireworx units to hook up. But I do need something simple for him to play with. You’ve got me thinking now & he’s sooo desperate to spend his saved up pocket money from his Nanu…hehe!

Here’s a Korg Monologue jam playing an Aphex Twin patch, with Elektron machines. Hope you enjoy!

1 Like

I realized that I truly like my Monologue, but the keyboard annoys me to no end. Decided to do a bit of surgery on it.

8 Likes

Ive been considering doing this to my Monologue! Are you happy with the result?

Was an excellent decision. Takes up less space and makes the Monologue feel less like a toy and a bit more like a boss mono synth.

I watched these videos for guidance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkC9OLFhdDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n05cSo9mnE0
In the 2nd one you can see him forget to undo a screw and struggle to remove the circuit board. I made that same error–took me a while to find the hidden screw.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for sharing your thoughts and video links!!

Seems a little intimidating for my skill level. :blush:

I really like the tone of Monologue, don’t use it enough at the moment. My thoughts were if it was a Module that it would be more portable for live situations.

How aggressive can you get with the monologue?

I think it can get pretty aggressive. The built-in drive can make it nice and woofy.

Here is a track I did that illustrates that. The synth part is all Monologue, with maybe some reverb or delay added.

2 Likes

Nice Cover of Daft Punks Robot Rock by the whistful snail

2 Likes

CV, gate and 2cc into monologue? That’s sounds really interesting. But how does all this info gets into Monologue? Is that over the sync in on monologue + midi? I am not sure the uses may have besides syncto to volca… Or is that just like clock in and clock out? Can you use clock dividers somehow on Monologue?

The Kenton box i mentioned translates CV into MIDI notes, CC#s, etc

1 Like

Can you not create your own scale? May be that helps :wink:

I understand now. Are you using the sync in and out at all? I wonder if that can send click to an aki ryhtm wolf for example and viceversa.