Korg Nu:Tekt DIY Oscilloscope NTS-2

Thanks god, I thought it was an improved version of NTS 1 and felt the obligation of buying it…no GAS with this osciloscopio.

Not impressed with the direct ripoff of Mordax DATA, don’t need the book, especially don’t need that flimsy enclosure. On the other hand, Mordax has been hinting at a firmware update for DATA for ages, but never delivers. Maybe this will light a fire under them.

Yeah. Love it. This is a 100% must buy for me.

Totally excited for this. The price is spot on.

1 Like

This looks the dogs bollocks. Super handy.

I’m a bit confused by the Nutekt concept - it seems like a barebones quasi DIY project, NTS1 is cool, but it is hard to find much investment by Korg to really bring in the tinkerers.

There could have been an IDE and little tutorials for the NTS1, other utility boards etc, to build a community.

This looks cool too, but where’s the expander pins and code example to do other stuff like generate your own functions etc.

It’s sort of a nearly there community effort, but only insofar as it is a deliberately cheap self assembly.

Maybe I misread their original intent, but I thought the overall Nutekt world was meant to head in an axoloti/daisy etc direction.

This might be an entry visual Synthesizer with another firmware

…really surprised to see, this nutekt nts2 is “nothing” but an oscilloscope+…
wonder if any open source community will come up with new ideas added to this, like for the nts1…but ok…seems like, there are people who wanted a fancy half way diy tool to watch waves…
aanaalyyze it, yeah, oh yeah…
who wants to hear new sound innovations, when u can watch old ones…

at least it’s good lookin’…

Haha I generally agree but I almost feel like posting a BoBeats video in the top of the thread is like light trolling on the elektronauts… like the second I saw his face I knew people would be triggered. Click bait titles and reaction faces always have a grossness to them, they elicit a response imo, but probably better to just try to ignore it.

As far as the NTS-2 goes looks pretty handy, not sure if the price is right to me, I suppose it comes with a book I don’t want… also I don’t really get the “DIY lite” aspect of these kits, it seems like more of an excuse for korg not to build a proper case rather than actual promoting people to get into DIY.

hmm I’m probably just being too cynical today :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Gotta say, I’m surprised people aren’t more into this?

Cost for performance is excellent
Functions are really useful and it has twice the channels I expected
The size / format is great
It can be battery powered!
It can be 2x LFOs

It’s £160. What else can you buy for that amount that has all these functions?

2 Likes

The cost of a die to make injection moulded cases for such low volume product would add quite an amount to the RRP.

Over certain prices, products won’t sell, so it’s a case like this, or no product at all.

1 Like

I hope they’ll sell it without the book, this is exactly what I wanted. But I don’t need the book, and it’s currently a bit expensive for what it is.

2 Likes

The deal atm gives the book for free. So it will be the same price.

1 Like

That is a thing, really? Well, I am sorry then, it wasn’t my intention to troll elektronauts. Didn’t know that unwritten rule, just posted the first videos I found when I searched NTS-2 on youtube.

Personally I like to watch different videos on youtube of a new device. I don’t care to much who is doing the video. The more different perspectives the better for getting an idea of a device. YMMV

4 Likes

Do you know what rigol model I should be looking into ?

It is not a thing. There’s a clique around these parts that spend effort hating on the synthfluencer hustle, as if they killed their mothers. Most just ignore it. Don’t mistake loudness for general board sentiment

Post what you want.

5 Likes

Interesting idea, thank you. As I am quite a rookie in terms of electrical engineering are there any advantages in terms of easy to use of the NTS-2 compared to a classic oscilloscope?

For example can passthrough be achieved easily with the Rigol? Loopop also said something about the “DC coupling” feature to watch LFO’s if I remember that correctly. But I don’t understand what he meant with that yet.

Control CV is technically a very low audio signal, outside human hearing. AC Coupled inputs have a filter on them that filters that signal; DC Coupled inputs do not. Thus a DC Coupled input will “hear” CV signals. Rigols have nothing to do with these cares, so will be DC Couples.

Idk Rigols, but I would question whether they offer guitar-like tuners (as opposed to straight frequencies) or sources of modulation. Plus they’re kinda bulky, no?

3 Likes

Sure any oscilloscope draws very very little current so just measure across any signal.

1 Like

That perspective thing could work in theory, but most of them are just shills and their opinion is exactly the same. If you want pure truth, wait a few months until it gets released and then micro YouTubers start popping up.

2 Likes

DS1054Z is typically considered to be the best value scope, I think. You can find it for ~$350 There’s a cheaper model if you are ok with only 2 channels.

1 Like