Korg Nu:Tekt DIY Oscilloscope NTS-2

NTS-2 is smaller and it comes with trs inputs/outputs. With normal oscilloscopes you need an adapter, something like this: Threetom Wiretap eurorack-to-test-equipment adapter — THREETOM

3 Likes

Bro does it even LFO :wink:

I could understand if you were a synth designer wanting one of these, but its a bit overkill for just trying to figure out Maths.

Waveforms from the oscilloscope seem like such a gimmick though.

The Rigol scope would also be very useful for DIY:ing. And personally I just don’t like cheap flimsy things, they don’t spark my joy, so to speak. That said, at < 150 for the scope only I think it would be a no-brainer. I guess if you compare it to mordax data then 220 is still pretty good.

I totally agree, I have another osciloscope still brand new in its box, but it will be sold brand new now, I guess. :slight_smile:

Huh? Its an oscilloscope and a few tools. Mordax was hardly the first to make that, even in eurorack.

2 Likes

4 inputs and the other functions make it a bit more flexible than a Rigol/Owon which typically have 2 inputs, but they have the advantage of a much bigger display, and better specs.

But I think for electronic musicians the functions on the NTS-2 are pretty useful, the clock generator if precise enough could be handy for quite a few applications, and the LFOs and envelopes are also pretty handy.

4 Likes

Smart move by Korg as these will surely be desk candy on tons of YouTube videos going forward.

4 Likes

…Shaggy? :smiley:

5 Likes

Especially as they’re cheap enough to send out for free, as they did to Loopop.

1 Like

220$ is cray money for an oscilloscope, when you can order one for like 30 bucks.
had one, didn’t use it, gave it away.

You mean the ones with a single input that use alligator clips and are inaccurate and whose batteries die quickly. You actually got rid of that? :wink:

Its weird to me people care so much what others do with their money. But you do you.

2 Likes

Agreed. A lot of people play music entirely by ear, which is ace, and do so to create songs, which is wonderful.

I got into it because I wanted to know how the huge diversity of sounds were made on all the music I loved.

I’m in it for the sounds design first and the song making second, so anything that helps me understand sounds better from a technical perspective is gold to me.

Being able to relate a visual waveform or spectrum to the sound I hear, and seeing why the sound changes when I turn a knob or plug in a different module - that’s what helps me to imagine where I want to be and how to get there.

I can’t wait to plug in my Eurorack or my Analog Heat and see what is happening to the waveforms as I run them through Kinks or crank up the harmonics on Rings

4 Likes

Imagine using both ears and eyes :exploding_head:

2 Likes

I’m almost 40 and always wanted to be musical as a teenager, but every time I tried, I couldn’t make the connections in my head.

I stuck to 3D modelling, moved into Product Design and became a highly visual communicator. My brain is wired to think in form and ratios and volumes.

The breakthrough was seeing the Korg Monologue.

You select an oscillator and you see its wave. You turn the knobs and… it changes.

It lead me into video after video, especially those by people like Loopop, who show a visual representation of the sound as they move filters, shape envelopes, add harmonics.

I mainly use my MPC Live to see the wave shapes and how the sound I make changes them, but that’s a post-sampling operation.

I love the Digitone for its visual representations, the envelope shapes, the operator ratios make so much sense to me as a flow diagram with numbers, but I always wished it had a waveform view like the Monologue.

My next purchase is likely to be the £2000 Waldorf Iridium. It’s integrated wave and spectrum visualisations are so eye opening…

But a lot of that visualisation is now in this tiny £160 box that I can pop next too anything I make sounds with.

3 Likes

It was usb/DC powered, with a single input.
With the worls debt spiraling in trillions of dollars, you bet I’ll question what people do with their money.
But you do you, por favor

I’m not sure the world’s debt problem and the potential public oscilloscope market of what 50 - 75 thousand people worldwide… if that ??? Need be brought up right now.

2 Likes

That’s just me being kind to irony directed at my sincerity

If I am just try to check the left and right output of my synth are two channels enough ?

You at minimum only need the two places to connect your scope in parallel.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Another nice thing about the NTS-2 product is that it also has a built in signal generator. Scopes now days come with all sorts of options, like being multi-trace, a spectrum analyzer, signal generators, and such. A multi signal digital logic analyzer is also nice, and some even have protocol analyzers too. Scopes will also be able to measure at much higher frequencies too, and allow you to set up fancy triggers to record and store events.

The NTS-2 looks like a very nice package for typical audio sorts of applications, like an easy way to measure frequency, in musical units.

Here’s something i wonder. Does the NTS-2 have enough to be able to measure MIDI response latency, for instance – the time between the NOTE ON and sound on a synth ?

1 Like

I would see it as an auxiliary to my mixing desk.