Labelling tape for mixing desks

Would be grateful of a product recommendation… What do people use for labelling channels on a mixing desk? Something which peels off nicely and doesn’t leave residue or damage equipment.

I’m actually trying to label household objects for language-learning, but a bit will probably end up on the Octatrack too (it that doesn’t void my NGNY pledge).

Thanks!

1 Like

most painters tape is made to peel easily even after some time. it comes in various level of adhesion but for your purpose where you aren’t using it to mask a clean line you don’t need anything of outstanding quality. blue is hard to write on so I don’t know if I would recommend scotch brand, but if you don’t mind spending extra I’ve had good luck with frog tape. It has more than one strength available and is super high quality, light colored green, peels easily without residue.

Of course, if it’s only going to be a short time, most masking tape would work fine… but anything longer than a few days I’d get something which is known to have decent adhesion and a proven history with success in long term removal.

3 Likes

I’ve used Post-it cover up tape: Post-it 652H 25.4mm x 17.7m Cover Up and Label Tape (6 Lines, 1 Roll) https://amzn.eu/d/5sPF55J

It’s pretty good, not perfect. I had to use a blade to trim it once applied as it was a bit wide. It’s stayed on for a couple of years, but does lift a bit at the edges. Giving the tape a smooth down every day has become a bit of a ritual.

The tape has a paper finish, so I write permanent things like track number with a fine sharpie and variable things with a pencil.

I tried masking tape (painters tape) but didn’t like the finish and most are inclined to leave a sticky residue if left on for more than a few days. Whereas the cover up tape won’t.

2 Likes

Masking tape

2 Likes

Hosa Scribble Strip Console Tape.

@datarishi - it’s designed for this purpose. It’s what I use on my desks etc. and works perfectly.

4 Likes

Plain old natural white masking tape works for me. More expensive tape hasn’t proven to be any better for me, just thicker and tends to tear at nice right angle easily with no show through. I just buy something mid range and value from the local hardware if needed.

1 Like

Thanks all… Really appreciate the quick responses!

Great to know the term ‘console tape’ - that’s the phrase I was looking for… Cheers.

2 Likes

don’t use it long term or on anything you plan to resell. that manilla masking tape dries out and becomes rather nasty.

8 Likes

I have left mine for days, weeks, months even. I just use it to learn or maybe mark some knob positions for a thing then remove it.

I’d try some rubbing alcohol* on something like that… but as it’s not actually your console and it is some random picture from a reddit post I guess we need not worry :wink:

*if it wasn’t for the electronics getting wet I’d bet a damp cloth placed on the residue would remove it. The adhesive in masking tape is generally water based, so it has just dried out.

not my pic but I can tell you from experience white masking tape can be a pita after a couple years and water doesn’t cut it. goo gone and a razor will get it but it can easily ruin a painted finish.

4 Likes

Yeah years is a long time.

I’d prob. just put more tape on top at that stage…lol

but…

The more expensive tapes can use a synthetic rubber adhesive. That will not dry out*. I’d check labels though price alone will not ensure quality.

*I imagine this is climate dependent to a degree (and age of tape?).

I think it’s quality of tape also. I had to clean some off glass pretty recently and it was all bad. the original tape was really cheap and had a strong adhesive to begin with. I just wouldn’t trust anything expensive to it for long. anything for a few days should be fine.

when the surface allows for it, I almost always use a heat gun to remove any tape or sticker, it lifts most of the adhesive and all the paper in the first go, then it’s just not damaging the surface getting anything remaining off

1 Like

Oh have been meaning to share on this topic. I bought some magnetic tape. It sticks nicely to the octatrack, and lifts off without a trace obviously, you can write on it, store it and have different strips for different projects. It’s perfect. I’m rather proud of this invention (other people have surely done it before me really).

FIRST4MAGNETS MFL19(BU)-1X5M… https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HDDUZKM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

2 Likes

I found some magnetic strips. Not sure what it’s called in English. But was a roll with adhesive on one side. So I just put on regular paper on that side, and wrote on that. Makes it easy to move labels around. And have made some for my friends gear for when they visit.

1 Like

This is the best option. Never leaves a residue and is completely opaque, unlike masking tape.

Plus you can get console tape in all different colours

washi tape works too. no residue left behind. many different sizes and designs.
you can find generic ones in arts and crafts stores if lucky, but most of the cool ones are sold online. :v:

1 Like

LX tape. Used all over the world by lampies, noiseboys and vidiots.

1 Like

I use white electrical. Been working fine for me, and don’t have the problems that I’ve had with masking.

I’ve always called it paper tape, permacel is the brand name stuff. It used to very common in post production work, we had tape dispensers for the stuff in different widths/colors. If you’re ok with white pick up some artists tape from your local art supply store, it’s the same stuff and available in different widths.

1 Like

Agree with others - I’ve had very bad experiences with masking tape on gear (and with DIY projects too!) so could not recommend you go near the stuff on anything you care about!

I was after a decent and safe scribble strip tape that would fit the narrow width above and below the Digitakt track row. Found this stuff - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProTapes-840178006882-Artist-Printable-Console/dp/B00DVB1GZI

It’s expensive but does the job really well including being easily tearable, pencil and pen writable and leaves no residue however long I leave it on for. I’ll post a pic later.

But it looks like it’s no longer easy to find, in the UK at least. Weird. Hopefully it can still be found somewhere…

2 Likes