Least favorite vegetables?

Beets, celery and rutabaga.

It has to be well cooked or it’s like eating leather

1 Like

I’m more familiar with the ales, but my dad would probably explain that it’s the spirits that make them taste so bad. (typo fixed)

1 Like

but typos give posts more cred! I’m trying to drive up the value of lazy grammar and bad spelling! lets create a monomarket and put that fucking grammarly out of business! stop showing me ads I don’t care about grammarly! fuck your tone I got my own!

2 Likes

If only that was my excuse!!

1 Like

When my children were 5 and 2.5, we drove across Canada to live on the other coast for a year. There is no good food between Winnipeg and Calgary, but in Swift Current, we stopped at a deli for lunch. My older daughter said, “This is good cheese. When you bend it, it breaks.” I’m sure @Fin25 can get really good cheddar in the Midlands (which will break, not bend, so forget wrapping anything) but finding avocados chez lui that have been picked late enough so they will actually ripen properly may be a bit of a challenge.

4 Likes

Okra is foul, can’t stand it. Brussels sprouts are tough but you can spruce them up, but it usually involves frying in animal fat and at that point a shoe would taste good. Or deep fry them, toss them in fish sauce/chili paste.

2 Likes

Okra is a hard sell. Most of the time it is a mucilaginous mess. That texture can be put to good advantage in gumbo, but little else. Careful dry-frying in south Asian preparations can result in something worthwhile, but this is something I’d rather someone else do and serve to me. It can be good in tempura if the chef knows what they are doing.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Forgot to mention as my opinion has now changed, but growing up in Alaska I HATED tomatoes. They ruined sandwiches, tasted like water that was off. Moved to the mainland-US and had a heirloom for the first time, and finally realized I had just been eating hot-house grown, imported trash. Now I regularly have a few in the pantry for toast, a light side, you name it.

Nit’s Thai Food in Moose Jaw, Sk. Diamond in the rough.

1 Like

The 2.5 year old mentioned now has a 3 year old of her own, so this was a while back. Glad to hear things have improved. I hope to never make that drive again, but I will file this away just in case. (We stayed overnight in Regina – where we were asked if we wanted our sushi cooked or raw – so we went through Moose Jaw a little too early for a meal.)

3 Likes

I concur, cucumbers are completely vile.

1 Like

it may take some effort to get the same low grade garbage we feed ourselves in california but boy is it worth it

I think they opened in the early 90’s! The longevity alone is notable.

The drive across Canada is a sparse, lengthy affair indeed. Some say boring, some say excrutiating, some say meditative. But definitely long.

Beautiful thing to watch family grow. Congratulations on that front.

1 Like

It’s become increasingly hard to get decent tomatoes that aren’t in a can. I had it good when I could go to the non-chic farmer’s markets in SF and get heirlooms for $3-4/lb. Now (in the frozen North) I don’t even try unless it’s July-Oct. I hope this gets better when I am in southern Europe.

Wow! Sorry I missed it, then. We had some sort of Asian food in Drumheller, AB, nothing special, but I wanted to support them.

I did a lot of long-distance driving starting in my teens, but I haven’t owned a car for almost a decade. Now, if I want to meditate, I’ll fire up a drone.

2 Likes

You need to cook bell peppers over high heat in a wok as part of a stir fry or grill them up with steak fajitas then they taste awesome.

Avocados in CA are terrific. I brought back piment d’espelete and sel de Guerande from Europe to sprinkle on them.

1 Like

I love okra. If you cut it completely dry and sauté it alone before adding it to whatever it won’t be slimy.

3 Likes